Should you DIY service late model corollas?

Hi there

i have a 2003 Conquest auto and am approaching the 80 000km service. ive been quoted $600 for a service and this is not from toytoa (id hate to see how much they want)

my question is do you guys service the car yourselves or do you always pay for it?

my car is out of warranty anyways so i thought it might be wise to start learning how to service it myself.

so far ive had ZERO problems with it from brand new, but that may be due to paying for ALL the scheduled services along the way?

80,000km service includes

spark plugs

engine coolant

air filter

fuel filter

brake fluid

engine oil and filter

and the usual checks etc....

are these easy to do? (im a bit worried about doing the fuel filter and engine coolant)

Hi there

i have a 2003 Conquest auto and am approaching the 80 000km service. ive been quoted $600 for a service and this is not from toytoa (id hate to see how much they want)

my question is do you guys service the car yourselves or do you always pay for it?

my car is out of warranty anyways so i thought it might be wise to start learning how to service it myself.

so far ive had ZERO problems with it from brand new, but that may be due to paying for ALL the scheduled services along the way?

spark plugs

engine coolant

air filter

fuel filter

brake fluid

engine oil and filter

are these easy to do? (im a bit worried about doing the fuel filter and engine coolant)

It's worth finding out how much toyota want cause $600 is alot of money for a 80k service <_<

Id do it at toyota just for the logbook stamp from toyota because when you go to sell the car it looks much better ;)

Hi there

spark plugs

engine coolant

air filter

fuel filter

brake fluid

engine oil and filter

It's worth finding out how much toyota want cause $600 is alot of money for a 80k service <_<

Id do it at toyota just for the logbook stamp from toyota because when you go to sell the car it looks much better ;)

Once the car's out of warranty I do everything myself.

The harder things in your list are the fuel filter, coolant and brake fluid.

Make sure you use genuine parts for the fuel filter and coolant. Filter's ~$80 and coolant's ~$40 for the concentrate LLC. Denso platinum plugs are about $14ea from toyota

Edited by rollamods

thanks for the advice guys, here's what been quoted:

kmart $502

NRMA $520

Toyota $550

Ultratune $600

hmm i might give it a try myself and save a good $400 or so. I dont plan on selling the car anytime soon or in the future so the lack of service stamp doesnt really bother me.

if worse come to worse i suppose can get toyota to replace just the fuel filter for me.

I have a 2005 Corolla Hatch(auto), still on new car warranty till Nov. this year but I am and will be doing all my own servicing.

Some things to consider:

1.Toyota recommend not changing trtansmission fluid ever, unless used under very extreme conditions.

2.Timing chain, so no need to change a belt.

3.There is a label on the underside of the bonnet stating that the car was factory filled with long life coolant and replacement not due till 160000K(100000Miles).

Doesn,t leave much to do other than regular oil and filter changes, check brake pads, tyres, the sort of things you do on a regular basis anyway.

The only other thing I did was replace the existing standard plugs with NGK iridiums at 50000K.

I can't anything like $600 worth there...Get yourself a Haynes Repair Manual for around $35-40 Has all you need for DIY maintenance. Available from most auto shops such Auto One, Repco etc.

My penny's worth..

Edited by Topdog

DIY once the warranty runs out .

i'd look at it this way $600 bucks buys u all the stuff to do the service and a good trolley jack some ramps and stands , as well as a tool set . Makes life a lot easier and quicker .

I know the 80,000 service is a major one. I don't remember paying $600 for it. But I also know they didn't change the spark plugs, the air filter, coolant and I assume a few other things too <_<

If you want the pretty stamp then have the service done properly, but if you don't have the money a DIY will be fine.

Just checked on our system - $431.70 (yes, that's at a Toyota dealer). We're a regional dealer, so we don't charge through the roof like metro dealers.

I know the 80,000 service is a major one. I don't remember paying $600 for it. But I also know they didn't change the spark plugs, the air filter, coolant and I assume a few other things too <_<

If you want the pretty stamp then have the service done properly, but if you don't have the money a DIY will be fine.

really? those are the tasks it says in the service book. i thought they had to do all of them.

To be honest, you should probably get major services done by a pro. It helps with resale value due to the books + piece of mind. Minor services can be DIY spec.

But if your confident, then cut sick with the DIY's!! :toast:

hey all,

just for future reference, which services are considered the major ones?

80,000kms i would guess that this is major milestone on a car that thats not considered old, but no longer new.

but what about earlier services.. which ones are considered major?

example: 50,000km? - the list of things to be serviced looks a lot longer than the service before it. can you do this via DIY?

hey all,

just for future reference, which services are considered the major ones?

80,000kms i would guess that this is major milestone on a car that thats not considered old, but no longer new.

but what about earlier services.. which ones are considered major?

example: 50,000km? - the list of things to be serviced looks a lot longer than the service before it. can you do this via DIY?

read the service manual, it's quite clear which ones are the major ones. as discussed the 80k and if memory serves me correctly, the 120k. Major service just means you need more sh!t replaced as apposed to just an oil change. Nothing major about it really.

Juat a small addition to my previuos post.

In reference to the transmission fluid change you will find a tag on the transmission dipstick re the non changing of the fluid...

You guys are getting confused between the car models that you drive...

The 2003 Conquest has major services at 40,000kms intervals...

This service includes:

Oil

Oil Filter

Coolant

Brake Fluid

Air Filter

Spark Plugs

Then at every 80,000km you do all the above aswell as the Fuel Filter...

From memory the auto oil is required to be changed at 60,000kms OR 80,000kms... You'll have to check your service books for that one as I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head...

Now, in 2005/2006 from memory, Super Long Life Coolant was introduced... This new coolant is required to be changed at 160,000kms the first time and then every 80,000kms after...

SO

For anyone thats got a facelift Sportivo, your 40,000km service includes:

Oil

Oil Filter

Air Filter

Brake Fluid

80,000km service includes all the above aswell as the fuel filter...

100,000km service is when the spark plugs get changed as the Sportivo uses platinum plugs...

Hope this clears up a few things...

I did realise there maybe differences in model years and should have mentioned it but my drift was for the poster to have a look at the car and read some manuals, users or otherwise..It's amazing what you can find...Still find $600 a bit steep but it is so long since I have had a dealer service done I guess I had lost touch a bit..

Thanks for the heads up anyway...

Now, in 2005/2006 from memory, Super Long Life Coolant was introduced... This new coolant is required to be changed at 160,000kms the first time and then every 80,000kms after...

I know the 2004 Sportivos came with Super Long Life coolant since mine had it from new.