Toyota Aurion with Varex Mufflers

SecaBoy

i don't have stock ones,

but i have the graph of mine, i'll dig it up and scan

i was told by Al at the lane toyota service center that it wouldn't void warranty.

danny, roy the mech who did my car will tell you that it's illegal to be on the safe side.

I've checked the emisions they still meet standards...

but the sound level is illegal, which is why you get the varex so you can soften the sound when you want

if u listening to AL at Lane toyota, then i wont even care that comment from him.. coz he has been giving me all kinds of bullshxt from the day i sent my car in to fix, wasted close to 4 months, nothing much done. And it took him 2 weeks+ for exchanging the cup holder, ended swapping from another car, lying earlier that an order had be made and wait...

As Secaboy said, Toyota will say anything they like, but when problem arises, they will just blame it on your mod done. (i wont say again what happen for my example, as it has been said many times) Trust me, i sent my camry 05 back in for warranty extend, they wont provide, unless i put on the old muffler that i kept in garage..

I still not sure if Roy will be the appropriate guy for me, coz telling me that it is illegal(without saying 'on safe side') and telling u again it is safe, and we arent that close to him. If accident were to happen, insurance will start asking, if he denies all responsibility and insist on having conducted us that if we want to go ahead for the mod althou illegal. Then big problem. (this doesnt mean i am saying his shop is doggy or anything, just losing my old mech, i need to find a more responsible/trust-able mech)

Thanks for your advise anyway.

pumped: i'm going for the varex mufflers... cause i still want to be able to shut it up completely... but then i want the 'roar' and the performance benefit of an open system as well... :)

OooOO Varex time. Been to 2 Exhaust places today and have been quoted $1000-1300 by 1, and waiting to hear back from the other. Only a matter of time!

Is that just for the mufflers?? Or is that for a cat back system??

Guys I'd hate to rain on anyones parade but the Varex / Adjustable exhausts are apparently illegal as of 1 March 2008.

CLICK HERE.....See Part 2, Sect 5 (d)

There's a discussion HERE from my other forum.

Guys I'd hate to rain on anyones parade but the Varex / Adjustable exhausts are apparently illegal as of 1 March 2008.

CLICK HERE.....See Part 2, Sect 5 (d)

There's a discussion HERE from my other forum.

Omg.. U kiddin.................

So What's legal in NSW? A standard Fart sound? F**k...

This is so Frustrating..

hrm.. it prohibits on "sales of used vehicle". Does it also mean that with varex, it is not roadworthy or is defective? or it actually means defective?

any victorian knows where to find out law and regulation? vicroad??

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyre...8340/0/VSI8.pdf

i read the vicroad's vehicle standards info, at part12, exhaust, found this:

"the vehicle must comply with the noise emission standards applicable to it."

Meaning lower than 90db?

but epa says another thing: http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/publica...6;FILE/1031.pdf

"It is an offence to own or use a vehicle fitted with a temporary defeat device, inlet port restrictor, exhaust port restrictor or temporary noise reduction device. These devices, when fitted to the exhaust system, can temporarily and easily change or vary the level of noise emitted from the exhaust."

Meaning, Varex as a noise reduction device/easily change the level of noise, would be illegal..

I am wondering how people can then say Varex is legal...

damn... this again break my list of next mod..

p/s: reading regulation for modification and epa rules.. it seems like any modification to cars are illegal in someway.. scaryy..

it says "temporary"....

the varex muffler is "permanant" if you dont have the remote on you...

if a cops asks where your remote is, just say its at home and you only use it for when you go to the track...

that way you dont get done and you still have the varex muffler system...

i know you're gonna say "a cop can still book you"... but if you change ANYTHING on a car from factory standard (ie, wasnt an option on that car), then you can get done for it...

back in my "ricer" days, i had underbody neons on my rolla... i got pulled over for an RBT one night and the cop looked under my car and saw the neons (they were off)... so he asked me how they were wired up... i told him they were wired up to a switch... so he said that i wasnt driving the car any further until i cut the power lines for the neons...

i obviously didnt have any wire cutters in my car, but the cop just said "bite through it with your teeth for all i care"...

ended up using my GF's nail cutters... lol

point of my story is that even though my neons were hidden and turned off, the cop still had the right to tell me to cut them..

it says "temporary"....

if a cops asks where your remote is, just say its at home and you only use it for when you go to the track...

i know you're gonna say "a cop can still book you"... but if you change ANYTHING on a car from factory standard (ie, wasnt an option on that car), then you can get done for it...

back in my "ricer" days, i had underbody neons on my rolla... i got pulled over for an RBT one night and the cop looked under my car and saw the neons (they were off)... so he asked me how they were wired up... i told him they were wired up to a switch... so he said that i wasnt driving the car any further until i cut the power lines for the neons...

i obviously didnt have any wire cutters in my car, but the cop just said "bite through it with your teeth for all i care"...

ended up using my GF's nail cutters... lol

point of my story is that even though my neons were hidden and turned off, the cop still had the right to tell me to cut them..

Thats nut!!! why do they have the power to do such things. They cant make u do it!

They have to send u to the pits. some cops r just power trippers!

Yay for WA

Edited by Freddo

it says "temporary"....

from another logical view, varex is temporary as it has the remote to turn it temporary open or close.. i guess it depends on how cop understand the law..

also, if the owner said remote is in the house, and the owner has to know tat the po po has the right to search his car, if FOUND, wat to say? he forgot? serious problem then..

Agree with Danny,

As for police, its not their fault, its all handed down from the top brass of our state, two things you can blame for the growing clampdown...

A) Hoons who have ruined the tuner image, by hooning or crashing altogether

B) Climate change causing pressure to regulatory bodies to improve emission throughout the board.

Give a few years and there will be no more modifications unless its club licenced or race specific.

Agree with Danny,

Give a few years and there will be no more modifications unless its club licenced or race specific.

thanks.

That's also why i am moving out of australia, soon.

how does it mean that you give them the right to search your car? :huh:

my understanding was that the police can only search your car if they have a reasonable* amount of suspicion that you're carrying illegal drugs/weapons... i'm probably wrong on this, but thats what my impression on the law was...

if they search the car and find the remote, then you take it to court and fight it because they did not have a "reasonable amount of suspicion"...

*this word reasonable is VERY VERY VERY easy to dispute in court...

the contracts i deal with day in day out has this word used in it as well... and it can be used to benefit or discredit the party involved VERY easily...

a lot of law makers use this word because it lets them twist it which ever way they want to.

we are argueing a case right now with a supplier and winning because we have shown that they were late in providing us documentation to support a claim in a REASONABLE amount of time... :lol:

meh.... at the end of the day, its EXTREMELY hard to modify a car and still remain 100% legal...

its just whether you want to risk it or not...

to me, the risk is well worth it... :)

Would high flow cats make a reasonable difference along with the varex'? Are there any available or ?

avaliable? yes.. difference? i dont think there is much..

i think the main reason we wan varex is bcoz of the sound, mainly.. but i still can get through myself that "You have to Pay for Fun"..

If the price to pay is just a defect = $200, then i am willing to go with it, coz i even put undercar neon driving around in camry, passing cops without getting pull over...

But if the price to pay include unable to claim insurance after serious accident, i m reluctant to do it..

Cost you more than $200 if you get caught. Any defect to do with emissions and/or pollutions carries big fines. Bigger fine for having no cat than carrying an unregistered gun.

Anybody looked at getting mufflers made to suit the Aurion??? Get the noise you want and HP gain.

This is what CES did with the Sportivo Corolla cat back system. Custom made a rear muffler to suit the car. Hp gains are the same but it tones down the noise to be under the legal DB limit and sounds great too.

I got pulled up a few times in my old Sportivo and if the Police asked I showed them the noise certificate and away I went no questions asked.

If you guys are going to all the trouble of putting a Varex on and worrying about being defected then dont be tight a55es and spend the coin and get someone to design mufflers to give you the power and a nice note without it being loud as Police attractive.

Prolly work out to be close to the price of a varex anyway....

As for high flow cats dont worry about it. If you aren't putting your car on the track(circuit/drags) then the tiny gain you get certainly is not worth the amount it will cost you. some of the sportivo corolla guys put high flow cats on their cars and registered no gains at all. Stock one is pretty damm good.

Anybody looked at getting mufflers made to suit the Aurion??? Get the noise you want and HP gain.

Prolly work out to be close to the price of a varex anyway....

i know, and indeed interested.. but brisbane.. how far is that from vic? very..

it also doesnt seems much people will be interested, 2-4? MAX

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...mp;#entry247076

Whats the size of the barrel on the stock Aurion? or what sort of space is there to fit (Havent taken delivery of mine yet).

If Varex's (mufflers not cannon) fit then the normal Xforce mufflers will. If not, get a group of say 10 of us together & approach HiTech or Xforce....

Whats the size of the barrel on the stock Aurion? or what sort of space is there to fit (Havent taken delivery of mine yet).

If Varex's (mufflers not cannon) fit then the normal Xforce mufflers will. If not, get a group of say 10 of us together & approach HiTech or Xforce....

check the xforce website.. and i enquired, canon can fit no issue, but not the oval or the twin

actually u only need 5 people(i think), as aurion will need 2 canon, each side..

So, does this means u dont care it is illegal to mod?

I will try calling epa on monday, try ask if varex is legal or not..

From reading other forum, it is definately illegal.

yawn...

still talking about this?

if it's illegal it's illegal...

if you still want to do it, do it...

if you don't then don't?

if you get caught by the cops, deal with it then...

if a cop wants to check if i have a cat or not, he can lay flat on his face, stick his head under my car can see for himself...

he'll still see a big fat cat there... (they won't know that there's meant to be two)

if he wants to send my car to the epa, even if it's the next day, i'll just put the cat back in, in the morning...

i don't see what the big issue is? worse case is that you have to pay a few bucks for a fine... (unless they demerit point you?)

are they going to put you in jail for not having a cat?? no... how much is the fine? $1k? a bit more?

cry me a river... spilt milk.

This is an AURION thread, if you're going to cry over something like that, move over the yaris/camry/carolla threads...

those cars might be more in your price range...

you can bitch and moan about what's legal and not legal all you want. And that's all well and good, I know that there are people who are concerned about those things, but at the end of the day, if you want it badly enough do it...

take a risk!

(disclaimer... i didn't know the varex had a remote control to change the volume, i just bought it coz i thought it looked cool... i don't like loud cars... haha)

"hoons usually only get into accidents because other people are driving too slow"