Paint protection

I recently bought an 8 month old Rav4 and it has been treated with all the paint and fabric protection stuff, therefore I was provided with Ming car shampoo etc when I got the car.

I am not sure whether it is safe to use other more commercial stuff when I wash it or whether to wax or not.

Can anyone offer any information so that I don't inadvertently damage the paint work. Thanks. :whistling:

isnt nufinish a car polish?

if so, doesnt applying it every 4mths have serious consequences on clear coat and paint thickness? on the bottle it says once a year car polish, so every 4mths?

anyone willing to shed some light?

cheerios = )

isnt nufinish a car polish?

if so, doesnt applying it every 4mths have serious consequences on clear coat and paint thickness? on the bottle it says once a year car polish, so every 4mths?

anyone willing to shed some light?

cheerios = )

it has very very very fine cutting agents.. but more so ADDS a clear coat to the top of your Factory clear coat... maintaining that clear coat actually protects your paint for longer.

the ****s brilliant...

read these reviews from amazon...

Nu Finish Reviews

if your in melbourne come check out my car i'll polish a spot on yur car for you and let you compare the difference...

i love this stuff

all is good, thanks for the offer though but i'll pass.

if it works for you then thats great!

but you might wanna look into that additional clear coat businessness, i think they have placed some wax agents to keep it slick and made an additional layer of wax/something, cuz placing another clear coat on top of factory clear coats is kinda :huh: it would cost much more than $10 a bottle

cheerios

Since no one could shed some light on the actual topic other than to promote Nu Finish (which I know to be great), I did some research of my own and came up with the following on a Toyota site:

PAINT PROTECTION AND ENVIROSHIELD

PAINT PROTECTION AND ENVIROSHIELD PAINT:

When you buy a car it is important to protect the paintwork and keep it looking new. The paint treatment we apply to your car will:

· Prevent paint from fading and oxidising from the sun's damaging UV rays.

· Create a non-stick surface - Teflon formula. (non- stick)

· Lock in shine, maintaining that new car look

· Never require waxing or polishing

· Protect from road grime, rain and pollutants like:

- bird droppings (bat and possum too!)

- tree sap

- petrol marks

- acid rain

- alkali pollution

- hard water deposits

NEW CARS -6 YEAR WARRANTY ON PAINTWORK

USED CARS - 4 YEAR WARRANTY ON PAINTWORK

When I put it in for it's 10,000km service, I'll ask then about using only Ming car shampoo and the like.

• 3 months later...

To be honest,Paint Protection is just an expensive,cut-throat POLISH dealers sell to u.Paint protection = Polish.And if u dun maintain ur car regular(wash,polish and wax),paint protection will not protect ur paint from all the dirt,grime,bird poo etc.

So u can actually polish and wax ur car regularly and not worry abt anything.

To be honest,Paint Protection is just an expensive,cut-throat POLISH dealers sell to u.Paint protection = Polish.And if u dun maintain ur car regular(wash,polish and wax),paint protection will not protect ur paint from all the dirt,grime,bird poo etc.

So u can actually polish and wax ur car regularly and not worry abt anything.

:) just waiting for the wise man to say what he told me couple weeks ago :P

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure you read the warranty conditions as this is where it really bites you in the a**.

Most Paint Protection warranties require you to wash with their recommended shampoo atleast once a fortnight and usually you have to take it back to them every 6-12 months for inspection and/or reapplication.

If you do not follow their conditions then you warranty is voided.

The after market sales chick does not mention any of this to the customer as this is how they make their money.

All in all, paint protection is just a paint sealant.

Cheers :)

Dave

Make sure you read the warranty conditions as this is where it really bites you in the a**.

Most Paint Protection warranties require you to wash with their recommended shampoo atleast once a fortnight and usually you have to take it back to them every 6-12 months for inspection and/or reapplication.

If you do not follow their conditions then you warranty is voided.

The after market sales chick does not mention any of this to the customer as this is how they make their money.

All in all, paint protection is just a paint sealant.

Cheers :)

Dave

i second that.

i got the paint protection on my car because the dealer threw it in for free, so i thought i may as well (dealer would want $795 otherwise). i thought i would follow the instructions to see how it would go, and i didnt polish my car for 2 months, but washed it once a week (like i always do) with the supplied products.

after that 2 months, i cracked the ****s with how overrated it was, and decided to polish my car with top quality products and it ended up looking mint! and to think they want you to go 12 months without a polish.

i got it for free, so i'm not whinging, but if i was paying top dollar for it, then i would be pretty ******.

all is good, thanks for the offer though but i'll pass.

if it works for you then thats great!

but you might wanna look into that additional clear coat businessness, i think they have placed some wax agents to keep it slick and made an additional layer of wax/something, cuz placing another clear coat on top of factory clear coats is kinda :huh: it would cost much more than $10 a bottle

cheerios

polishing the car wont protect the paint (won't give you the extra layer protection), it brighten and gives out the deep gloss colour of the paint. Waxing gives sort of like a condom protection on top of the car. :rolleyes:

A good set of wax/polish shouldn't say how long they will last on the car. WHY?! all depends on the condition of the car,weather,indoor or outdoor,etc... IMO doesn't matter how much $$$ you spend on wax or polish as long as you giving the car some TLC thats all that matters! :toast:

----------------------

As for paint protection. My friend got the HSV with paint protection, and only 4wks new, on the bonnet couple of Tree Saps. He couldn't get rid of it, took it back and they gave him a special shampoo free of charge. I wouldn't spend $$$ on getting the Paint Protection. I would rather spend that $$$ and get a good set of detailing kit and one good weekend DIY :) The joy and pleasure of doing it yourself is just priceless! Plus if you have done it properly, your car should be HYDROPHOBIC (repels water off the car). Plus you can easily blow dry the car instead of wiping. :whistling:

Plus if you have done it properly, your car should be HYDROPHOBIC (repels water off the car). Plus you can easily blow dry the car instead of wiping. :whistling:

LOL looks like someone's been watching an ad all too often hahaha

but yea baby hydrophobic is the WAY. as mentioned in another thread, i just finished my car with techwax 2.0 and ultimate quik detailer, and i tell the truth, water was HYDROPHOBIC-ing off my car and on2 surrounding cars on the freeway when it was pour with rain.

whats more interesting was my friends in the back seat couldnt believe how water was FLYING OFF my boot and on2 the car behind :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Plus if you have done it properly, your car should be HYDROPHOBIC (repels water off the car). Plus you can easily blow dry the car instead of wiping. :whistling:

but yea baby hydrophobic is the WAY. as mentioned in another thread, i just finished my car with techwax 2.0 and ultimate quik detailer, and i tell the truth, water was HYDROPHOBIC-ing off my car and on2 surrounding cars on the freeway when it was pour with rain.

whats more interesting was my friends in the back seat couldnt believe how water was FLYING OFF my boot and on2 the car behind :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

hrrmmmm... that sounds pretty good to me cos im lazy and i HATE washing, chamising, wax, polish blah blah (plus i got two very big (surface wise) cars!

so when i actually go to the effort of it i want it to last, normally is't ruined by water spots in just a few days... from what im reading this "HYDROPHOBIC" effect should help with this yeah?

its the best and weirdest thig. i never seen this before but just the other day it was pouring down with rain and my gf was saying "is it just me or is the rain boucing off your car?" had a closer look at it and i felt quite weird. kinda redefined my thinking of physics :D

hrrmmmm... that sounds pretty good to me cos im lazy and i HATE washing, chamising, wax, polish blah blah (plus i got two very big (surface wise) cars!

so when i actually go to the effort of it i want it to last, normally is't ruined by water spots in just a few days... from what im reading this "HYDROPHOBIC" effect should help with this yeah?

nods nods

here is some eyecatching proof. though some of the vids are retardedly low quality. the trick to applying the meg's UQD is that after applying it, the surface needs to be untouched for 12 hours - so place it in the garage or something. after 12hours, you can apply it once more and wait another 12hours. but 1 coat is enough. 2coats just means it will be hydrophobic for weeks. (im talking about 3-4), which is pretti good seeing its a liquid based polymer product.

UQD

ts the best and weirdest thig. i never seen this before but just the other day it was pouring down with rain and my gf was saying "is it just me or is the rain boucing off your car?" had a closer look at it and i felt quite weird. kinda redefined my thinking of physics biggrin.gif

yes that happens when u have an even coat of wax on your car, or something of a condom nature to protect your car's surface. usually water bounces off a car's surface anyway, but with protection such as wax rain will be like bouncy balls.

Edited by Wixy

• 1 year later...

I normally get paint protection done on my car every 2-3 months at the Carwash.. They usually charge about $90. Im guessing they use the Teflon brand...