Aurion average fuel consumption approximation

DJKOR

30 minutes ago, campbeam said:

The unknown Aurion feature is that they are sleeper cars and the drivers behind the wheel are mainly keeping a low profile so the morons get the police attention and the tickets.

In addition to this Ash, I love it when said Morons sneak up the inside lane when I'm in pole position at a traffic light thinking they are going to get ahead of my "hair dressers" car :laugh: 

It's go time !! The look on their face is priceless when I leave them in the dust.

Love my Aurion.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

It's go time !! The look on their face is priceless when I leave them in the dust.

Love my Aurion.

There goes the fuel economy for that trip. Also fun to be had when you react quicker than them at the light change then they have to wring the living daylights out of their drive train to get ahead.

Loves the cars that are all noise and no go. While they are making attention seeking noise, my Aurion is moving well ahead of them. The fuel economy takes another hit on behalf of the fun team.

On 10/7/2008 at 1:14 AM, DJKOR said:

Okay everyone. After a lot of discussion on fuel consumption. I have decided to start a thread where you can post your close-to-life figures of your average fuel consumption. I'm sure many of us are a bit skeptical as to whether the trip computer on the Aurion provides a half decent average fuel consumption figure. So for those that want to track their average fuel consumption, start collecting your petrol receipts and post your results here.

The more receipts you collect, the more accurate average figure you can obtain. For those that need to know how to calculate the average litres per 100km, you simply divide the total litres used, by the total distance travelled, then multiply it by 100 [ (litres/km)x100 ]. I have attached a spreadsheet of my calculations if you want to have a look. I try to make my calculation as accurate as possible, so when I record my final odometer reading, it would have been after travelling 70-90km after my fuel gauge says empty and my 'Cruising Range' on the dash says 0km. Doing a calculation shortly after the cruising range says 0km shouldn't throw your calculations off by much however.

Excel spreadsheet (Aurion.xls) of fuel consumption calculations.

So here are my calculations so far:

- At 4010km, my total fuel used was 417.14L and my average fuel consumption was 10.4L/100km

- At 8385km, my total fuel used was 907.83L and my average fuel consumption was 10.8L/100km

- At 12781km, my total fuel used was 1420.46L and my average fuel consumption was 11.1L/100km

- At 15716km, by total fuel used was 1772.86L and my average fuel consumption was 11.28L/100km

My fuel consumption appears to be getting higher and higher. The thing is, the places that I go and conditions I drive in haven't really changed much. I do see myself putting my foot down more often, so that may be the major contributing factor to all this extra fuel consumption. Though, looking at my trends, I have been using ULP 91 more and more in the periods where my average consumption increases (bad student budgeting), though I'm not too sure how much of a difference that can make. But I guess the purpose of this was to get an average figure since conditions will always change.

I will also add as well that about 80% of the time I have been driving this car, it has only been just me in it. I drive almost always with both front windows down fully, putting them to about half way when on the highway. The air conditioner is used only once a week (well so far until summer hits) just to keep everything in order. The oil I am running is Fuchs Titan GTO 10W30 fully synthetic.

I've got a 2007 3500SL with 85K on it....I can do a highway run at 8.1L per 100 K with air con running 110 to 120 K and not sparing the foot when overtaking on Votex 98....Got caught once with Ethonol 98 and couldn't get under 12L per 100 K.... 

Edited by rubin

I think this topic is very subjective. Too many variables to accurately gauge economy. You can get a ballpark, but unless you do a Mythbusters Scientific analysis, we'll never get a true reading.

I tend to trust the onboard computer, but it needs to be reset regularly to get the most up to date info.

I know the Aurion is economical because it use less fuel than a 98 Corolla my wife owned previously to the Aurion, and it was in excellent mechanical condition before it got written off.

On the highway, it is at its best that's for sure, making it an amazing interstate car too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I think this topic is very subjective. Too many variables to accurately gauge economy. You can get a ballpark, but unless you do a Mythbusters Scientific analysis, we'll never get a true reading.

I tend to trust the onboard computer, but it needs to be reset regularly to get the most up to date info.

I know the Aurion is economical because it use less fuel than a 98 Corolla my wife owned previously to the Aurion, and it was in excellent mechanical condition before it got written off.

On the highway, it is at its best that's for sure, making it an amazing interstate car too.

Yep and as a supercharged or turbocharged car is more efficient, it all boils down to how ya use the extra horses....But it also could also be that ya trying to  get a  standard Aurion fuel consumption comparison on a TRD page....It's pretty simple really TRD owners paid the extra money

It is a case of comparing apples with apples and oranges with oranges. 200KW vs 241KW. Unleaded ULP vs Premium ULP.

7 hours ago, rubin said:

I've got a 2007 3500SL with 85K on it....I can do a highway run at 8.1L per 100 K with air con running 110 to 120 K and not sparing the foot when overtaking on Votex 98....Got caught once with Ethonol 98 and couldn't get under 12L per 100 K.... 

Those fuel economy figures demonstrate why you will be giving that Ethanol blend a big miss.

I have a 2006 Aurion ATX which would have had 190K when I last did an interstate trip October 2018 from Brisbane to Wagga Wagga via the Newell Highway. I do remember getting about 7.8L per 100Km cruising at 100 kph with the A/C on max on 91ULP. In NSW, I then cruised at 110 kph and achieved <8.5L per 100Km on some trip sections. Not sparing the foot when overtaking did impact the fuel economy so I started to note how many times that happened.

I am hoping to be able to do a repeat of this interstate trip by early November 2020 in the ATX which will have approx. 220K on the odometer. I will update and compare my fuel economy results with previous 2017 and 2018 results. It is probably more a case of regular maintenance and any impact upon fuel economy.

37 minutes ago, nzzr6 said:

I'm averaging 14.5L/100km at the moment 🤣

Mmm. That would definitely be around town, stopping and starting. I won't criticize your right foot application as I don't know you, but that figure is what my wife achieves during the course of her weekly commute. I know that it's a combination of traffic AND her right foot application. She hasn't the finesse of accelerator application that I do and so when it's my turn to drive it around town, I always achieve low 10's. She's too used to the Corolla where the 4 cylinder needs that right foot partially buried compared to the magnificent torque of the V6, which only requires the slightest dab to get it off the line. I can only explain it to her so many times. The rest is up to her I guess.. :biggrin:

12 hours ago, campbeam said:

It is a case of comparing apples with apples and oranges with oranges. 200KW vs 241KW. Unleaded ULP vs Premium ULP.

Those fuel economy figures demonstrate why you will be giving that Ethanol blend a big miss.

I have a 2006 Aurion ATX which would have had 190K when I last did an interstate trip October 2018 from Brisbane to Wagga Wagga via the Newell Highway. I do remember getting about 7.8L per 100Km cruising at 100 kph with the A/C on max on 91ULP. In NSW, I then cruised at 110 kph and achieved <8.5L per 100Km on some trip sections. Not sparing the foot when overtaking did impact the fuel economy so I started to note how many times that happened.

I am hoping to be able to do a repeat of this interstate trip by early November 2020 in the ATX which will have approx. 220K on the odometer. I will update and compare my fuel economy results with previous 2017 and 2018 results. It is probably more a case of regular maintenance and any impact upon fuel economy.

I don't use standard unleaded even in my lawnmower....My previous V6 Vienta always got better mileage and performance out of 95ULP that far out weighed the few cents a litre difference....I only ever use ethanol to make my home brew spirits 😁  

Edited by rubin

4 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Mmm. That would definitely be around town, stopping and starting. I won't criticize your right foot application as I don't know you, but that figure is what my wife achieves during the course of her weekly commute. I know that it's a combination of traffic AND her right foot application. She hasn't the finesse of accelerator application that I do and so when it's my turn to drive it around town, I always achieve low 10's. She's too used to the Corolla where the 4 cylinder needs that right foot partially buried compared to the magnificent torque of the V6, which only requires the slightest dab to get it off the line. I can only explain it to her so many times. The rest is up to her I guess.. :biggrin:

Similar with my wife's driving style, no finesse of accelerator application...Another trap that people do that effects economy is using cruise control when driving on hilly winding roads....

3 hours ago, rubin said:

Similar with my wife's driving style, no finesse of accelerator application..

The ex had more finesse with the accelerator than myself so could get better fuel economy which I could not match. Guess that I am too impatient to get up to the speed limit. .

Certainly have to agree about that trap of using the cruise control on hilly roads. I have learnt to override the cruise control with the foot on the accelerator.

Currently have 95 ULP plus some Fuel Doctor additive in the tank to help clean the fuel injectors and the fuel economy.

3 hours ago, rubin said:

Similar with my wife's driving style, no finesse of accelerator application...Another trap that people do that effects economy is using cruise control when driving on hilly winding roads....

I never bother with cruise control. Seems unnatural to me.

5 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Currently have 95 ULP plus some Fuel Doctor additive in the tank to help clean the fuel injectors and the fuel economy.

Wifey informs me that she filled up with 98 this morning. Good for her. She's starting to get the message lol..

3 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Wifey informs me that she filled up with 98 this morning. Good for her. She's starting to get the message lol.

Guess whose credit card she used. lol Now that is real fuel economy.

21 minutes ago, campbeam said:

The ex had more finesse with the accelerator than myself so could get better fuel economy which I could not match. Guess that I am too impatient to get up to the speed limit. .

Certainly have to agree about that trap of using the cruise control on hilly roads. I have learnt to override the cruise control with the foot on the accelerator.

Personal choice....95 ULP is already a more refined fuel....

15 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I never bother with cruise control. Seems unnatural to me.

Wifey informs me that she filled up with 98 this morning. Good for her. She's starting to get the message lol..

95 should be all fine for a standard Aurion...98 might be overkill...I'm no expert...Just try to avoid standard unleaded...

Edited by rubin

13 minutes ago, campbeam said:

The price ya have to pay for being married...

4 minutes ago, rubin said:

Not really. If this was a different Forum then the advice would be very pointed about what not to do.

Anyway, I refuelled the girlfriend's Yaris Saturday morning and her car is what we use for going shopping on weekends.

3 hours ago, campbeam said:

2 hours ago, rubin said:

Neither. She fills the car from her own money actually. I pay for everything else.. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Greetings Gents,

I just drove down from Toowoomba QLD, to Lithgo NSW, 10 hour drive. Fuel consumption hasn't improved from my last trip down here. Can't seem to do better than 440 klms per half tank and 230 klms for quarter tank. Using Caltex 95 ron, and 40psi in all 4 tyres.

I also use the cruise control 90% of time. Before leaving I had a wheel rotate and balance and Alignment..

Going back to QLD in a few weeks, I'll try again to get better results..

Cheers 

Mike

Edited by Bigmike62
Spelling

Hi Tony prodigy.. 

I've never considered that the cruise is contributing to higher fuel consumption. 

I thought it's meant to reduce fuel consumption. I do a fair bit of highway cruising and use the cruise for most of those journeys.

Actually I can't keep my foot on the accelerator for more than an hour, as I get foot cramps If I try. 

I will try to limit overtaking on my return journey and see if that improves my mileage...

Cheers

Mike

Edited by Bigmike62
Spelling

5 hours ago, Bigmike62 said:

Can't seem to do better than 440 klms per half tank and 230 klms for quarter tank

Aurion has a fuel tank capacity of 70 litres. Theoretical Fuel economy of 7 litres/100 kms = 1000kms cruising range. In the real world, I have achieved 7.838 litres/100kms on a trip Brisbane to  Wagga Wagga via Newell Highway. Different year, I had 11.921 litres/100kms for a return highway journey being 5065kms. Must have been more lead footed that trip or I got some incorrect fuel figures that included a mate's motorbike.

Anyway check/clean the air filter, mass airflow sensor and the throttle body for good fuel economy.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Aurion has a fuel tank capacity of 70 litres. Theoretical Fuel economy of 7 litres/100 kms = 1000kms cruising range. In the real world, I have achieved 7.838 litres/100kms on a trip Brisbane to  Wagga Wagga via Newell Highway. Different year, I had 11.921 litres/100kms for a return highway journey being 5065kms. Must have been more lead footed that trip or I got some incorrect fuel figures that included a mate's motorbike.

Anyway check/clean the air filter, mass airflow sensor and the throttle body for good fuel economy.

Wow, 1000klms..I doubt my car would get that as it sits now..but I will do as you have advised and see what happens. Thanks Campbeam for your opinion..

Also, I have tried using Caltex 98ron, but got worse results..strange. I thought it would have run leaner with 98..never mind, I don't bother with 98 anymore, and stick with 95ron all the time..

Cheers

Mike

There is theoretical and then there is real life. For Urban driving I am aiming for 10 litres/100 kms. Not saying that I always achieve it but that is the aiming point. It all comes down to how much fun I am having driving safely within the speed limits as compared to driving for fuel economy.

Recently, I had the car jacked up and thought that the rear passenger brake was dragging a bit. Rear driver wheel appeared to be spinning a bit more freely. Ended up lubricating all of the brake caliper slider pins with anti-seize grease. I think that it has made a difference so it all helps with the fuel economy.

2 hours ago, Bigmike62 said:

Wow, 1000klms..I doubt my car would get that as it sits now..but I will do as you have advised and see what happens. Thanks Campbeam for your opinion..

Also, I have tried using Caltex 98ron, but got worse results..strange. I thought it would have run leaner with 98..never mind, I don't bother with 98 anymore, and stick with 95ron all the time..

Cheers

Mike

Fuel economy has little to nothing to do with what type of fuel you use...That's a wallet problem ....The more bang you pay for the more bang you get for your buck....And modern day air conditioning uses next to nothing...

Simple fact of life...It's application of your foot that counts....

A higher horsepower well tuned car will always achieve better economy if you don't use all the horses....

A small horsepower car will drink a lot because ya pushing it....

It's the old story....I sold my V8 and now have a 4 cylinder that uses more fuel to get from point A to B.... 

Edited by rubin
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, rubin said:

Simple fact of life...It's application of your foot that counts....

I totally agree. If you have a sympathetic right foot and drive gently, especially taking off, great economy can be had. The V6 has a beautiful, silky smooth nature to it and you don't need to bury your foot to get it going. Just a gentle tap and it's off. Let the torque do the rest.

• Thanks 1