Aurion average fuel consumption approximation

DJKOR

I changed my spark plugs to NGK platinum and it made a significant difference in my fuel consumption. I am a other of the accelerator but I get about 400-430km on a full tank. I've never filled the car up with anything other than Shell V-Power 98. Few weeks ago I spent a few consecutive days on the freeway and got just over 500ks.

You have made a good point J the better fuel (if any) economy of 95-98 over 91 is just not viable given the extra price paid for it at the pump, it may give (according to Toyota) a 2% (98 ron) increase over in power or an extra 4kw over 91, not a big deal unless you going to be racing your car.

By far the most difference you can make as seen in other members fuel economy figures is your right foot (assuming the car is well maintained).

This is looking at the issue purely from an economic perspective.

Footnote: Going the other way E10 is only viable if you can buy it for 3-4c cheaper than 91 due to ethanol being less efficient the petrol (source RACQ report)

• 7 months later...

I put between 600-700km a week of city driving onto my 2010 Prodogy. Its currently just under 120,000kms and i stil get 9.8 to 10 per 100kms.

Edited by Wolfcry

Sydney (Crossroads ) to Melbourne (Near Brooklyn on Ring road ). 2 up,One tank, cruise set to 112kph, Low fuel light just came on, spewing we didn't make it to Werribee, all on E10 United 95.

The car is made to run most efficient on E10 200kw. Even the handbook states, using 98 premium only produces 204kw

Just my two bobs worth,

Cheers :rolleyes:

I just got back from a round trip to brisbane and back (2000km round trip from Newcastle) i filled it with mobile 98 and my fuel

light turned @ 725 km and i put 55L back in the tank and that works out to be about 7.5l/100km. But that was non stop hwy

With 4 people and all there crap in the car, not to shabby for a big car.

But normally i get about 600 to 650km per tank with my normal day to day driving and only using moble 98.

• Like 1

Yeah in May I went from South Perth where I filled up my car with BP 91 to Augusta. When I went to Bunbury first stop for food shopping and lunch, the gauge still stayed at full needle. From Bunbury to Busselton, still full. Busselton to Augusta, the needle dipped a bit. I done 500kms at that point. By the time I went home on Monday, the tank had over a quarter of tank and the trip computer said 750kms. I refillled the tank in order to eliminate the risk of running out of fuel during my winery trip in Margaret River prior to going home. SHELL petrol 91 is where I filled up my tank for return trip home.

So first tank 750kms for $70 = 10.70/100 kms

2nd tank to empty 650kms for $80 (Margaret River expensive) = 8.10/100kms

I will do another long road trip later this month to Geraldton from home.

• 5 months later...

[ This is for a 2014 ATX model ]

Well after a few months and kms, I am getting an average econ of 9.3 / 100, just as per the official figures.

This is driving reasonably gently most of the time, but still with some overtaking, on decent rural roads with a small amount of urban. Using 91 standard here in NZ, supermarket doesn't seem any less than the local Caltex

I'm very surprised it's this good with a slushbox. Excellent. Approx 35k on car now.

I measured this by logging odo and pump litres, not from the car gauge, gauge reads 9.3 also, so is very accurate as far as I can tell.

Still beautifully quiet, but box is slow to change in sport mode, and overrides what you have set some of the time - so what's the point in it being there ? That's an annoying feature to me.

Edited by V6_fan

I just got back from a round trip to brisbane and back (2000km round trip from Newcastle) i filled it with mobile 98 and my fuel

light turned @ 725 km and i put 55L back in the tank and that works out to be about 7.5l/100km. But that was non stop hwy

With 4 people and all there crap in the car, not to shabby for a big car.

But normally i get about 600 to 650km per tank with my normal day to day driving and only using moble 98.

Just did the trip again by myself and got it down to 7.2

I reckon just on 1000km from a full tank on open hwy cruising

• 3 weeks later...

Last tank was 8.6l /100km. Car has 204 000 km. This is mostly hwy but not all, I live in Orange so mush less traffic than Sydney.

but

I have removed mud flaps, tyres at 42psi front and 40 rear, I have made an undertray that fully covers from the bumper back to the rear edge of the engine bay. From reading ecomodder.com these things should all help a few percent each.

I've only had my car for a few weeks and done just over half a tank. So far I'm doing about 12.1L/100Km. Not surprised given that I'm in the Burwood area. Hoping that improves as I grow more familiar with the car.

Just did first long trip in the new ATX

brisbane to sydney some 970 Kay's, trip computer indicated 7.2 for the hwy run and slight increase to 7.4 for the crawl from the end of the F3 into town.

return trip via bathurst, some 1200 Kay's, this time with four occupants and luggage, averaged out at 8.4. New England hwy is a fair bit hillier than the pacific and a lot less constabulary around so able to Stretch the legs a little bit.

very happy with the overtaking ability - kick down in fifth more than enough to quickly over take any nomads truck etc in very rapid fashion!

around town its more like high 11 to low 12. 

cheers

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update - I've just been on holiday around New Zealand South Island, which is not flat, has no true motorways, etc.   I drove mostly around speed limit (100k) and a bit over, but definitely used the power to flash past those <censored> campervans and double banked trucks ....  did 3,450 kms and got  8.09 overall (from fill ups).  I'm impressed !! (2012 model with the 9.3 official figure).  Also one short trip where we were very early, and fairly flat run, so I tried some very gentle driving as an experiment, did 200kms at 90k and got 6.9 !!

Damn good - no issues, I still think auto changes are too slow to respond to foot down, even in sport mode, engine mostly makes up for it, but pre-selecting 4 or 3 for uphill  overtakes is definitely worth doing for quicker passes of several vehicles ....

• 4 weeks later...

Something weird happened with me ...I was running 98 octane at first had average of 13-14/100km. Thought I'll switch to 91 and now reading goes from 8-10/100km!!!

I thought 98 octane has higher mileage?

anyone else experience this??

I had an interesting trip up to the Hunter Valley the other day. The route I took there was via Putty Rd and I did 8.6L/100Km on the way there. On the way back to Sydney, I took the freeway and I had economy of 8.1L/100Km. Using BP Ultimate 98 always. Car is due for a service soon and will be swapping out the usual standard mineral oil that Toyota use for a full synthetic 0w30 engine oil. I'm hoping that will make a bit of difference.

9 hours ago, Aurionsx6 said:

Something weird happened with me ...I was running 98 octane at first had average of 13-14/100km. Thought I'll switch to 91 and now reading goes from 8-10/100km!!!

I thought 98 octane has higher mileage?

anyone else experience this??

Hi Esiah,

With the Aurion my experience is when the fuel economy kms per litre display resetting itself every time you fuel up, your driving conditions/style from that point eg: freeway or city seems to have a big bearing on what happens to the kms per L for an undue amount of time.

It may take a while to average out, I think you will find that the extra cost of the 98 will not be translated into $$ saved over 91 ron from a cost per km driven point of veiw, however I use a tank now and again for the cleaning properties of Vpower/Ultimate but it certainly does not improve my km per L that much at all.

Re post above:

I would expect my Aurion to be getting high 7s on a trip up the hwy from Sydney to the Hunter on 91 ron.  I have always used CASTROL EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 which is Synthetic and reasonably priced on special. In the end economy is directly linked to your right foot ay, there are so many variables in drivers.

A decent run on Cruise control on the same stretch of road is probably the best way to compare fuels.

My driving conditions didn't change... Maybe next tank I'll try 98 again see what happens.

which is the best 98 vpower or ultimate?

@Gdude does Toyota use mineral :o !? I feel ripped off paying $220 for a mineral service!

Vpower or Ultimate? probably very little fuel economy wise they are both 98 ron. Cleaning power who knows?

I would not expect a significant fuel economy improvement by changing to a synthetic oil if that is a motivation. The benefit would be less engine deposits.

2 hours ago, mg85 said:

Hi Esiah,

With the Aurion my experience is when the fuel economy kms per litre display resetting itself every time you fuel up, your driving conditions/style from that point eg: freeway or city seems to have a big bearing on what happens to the kms per L for an undue amount of time.

It may take a while to average out, I think you will find that the extra cost of the 98 will not be translated into $$ saved over 91 ron from a cost per km driven point of veiw, however I use a tank now and again for the cleaning properties of Vpower/Ultimate but it certainly does not improve my km per L that much at all.

Re post above:

I would expect my Aurion to be getting high 7s on a trip up the hwy from Sydney to the Hunter on 91 ron.  I have always used CASTROL EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 which is Synthetic and reasonably priced on special. In the end economy is directly linked to your right foot ay, there are so many variables in drivers.

A decent run on Cruise control on the same stretch of road is probably the best way to compare fuels.

Yes, it probably does depend a lot on driving style :) Although it probably didn't help that I had 3 other people in the car and was stuck behind an SUV towing a massive trailer for a good part of the journey. There was quite a queue building up behind him...

Actually, there are quite a few tests now that have been conducted that show 98 gives you better mileage than 91/E10. Some Googling should get you some results and I'll try to find them again myself, but I do specifically remember several newspaper articles as well as online tests using fairly controlled conditions. The point being, 98 gives you greater mileage but at a greater cost. Overall, the savings you get from 91 over 98 will be negligible e.g. $50-$150 every 20,000 Kms.

1 hour ago, Aurionsx6 said:

My driving conditions didn't change... Maybe next tank I'll try 98 again see what happens.

which is the best 98 vpower or ultimate?

@Gdude does Toyota use mineral :o !? I feel ripped off paying $220 for a mineral service!

The owner's manual specifies a grade of oil that is not full synthetic, so that's what they'll use. Most owners won't know or care.

18 minutes ago, mg85 said:

Vpower or Ultimate? probably very little fuel economy wise they are both 98 ron. Cleaning power who knows?

I would not expect a significant fuel economy improvement by changing to a synthetic oil if that is a motivation. The benefit would be less engine deposits.

Have to agree -- there probably is very little difference between the different types of 98, but I prefer BP Ultimate as my subjective feeling is that it seems to give me better results.

You'd be surprised at what difference the type of engine oil can make to fuel economy. In my other car, I changed from using Castrol Edge 5w30 full synthetic to another oil. My car was quieter, more responsive and yes and I got better fuel economy with the other oil. I know that it wasn't just a placebo effect because my friend who has EXACTLY THE SAME CAR had the same experience. In fact his fuel economy improved remarkably. I'm talking about moving from one full synthetic oil to another. I'm expecting that changing from a mineral oil to a full synthetic will result in at least similar improvement in the Aurion. Fingers crossed!

What oil did you change to? and how much better fuel economy are you getting over the Castrol oil?

98 is on average about is about 20% dearer the 91

Does your car achieve 20% better fuel economy on 98? 

I can say my Aurion does no where near that.

I changed to Amsoil Signature Series 0w30 full synthetic and I am getting approximately 10% better fuel economy.

Haha! I don't put 91 in either of my cars so I wouldn't be able to tell you. I'm pretty sure it's not 20%, but that's not even the point is it?

There's plenty of real world tests that prove that 98 provides better fuel economy and the difference between the different fuels in terms of cost is not much. Here's the very first article that I found:

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/unleaded-vs-e10-the-comparison-test-29451

Here's another one:

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/ethanol-put-to-the-test-e85-v-e10-v-premium-unleaded-20110205-1ahgx.html

Granted, these articles are fairly old and the price has dropped significantly since then, but you're not going to save a fortune sticking with 91 regardless.

In fact, you can even check out the Aurion FAQ (as I'm sure you've already done) to read the following threads:

Best fuel for Aurion?

Different fuels for Aurion...

Best Fuel for Aurion's

Aurion average fuel consumption

Fuel Use????? Let us know

You'll notice the great majority of people who've tried both 95/98 and 91 have experienced superior fuel economy with 95/98.

I am not sure why your car doesn't give you better fuel economy with premium fuel. It could be many reasons. It simply could be your driving style is more suited to 91. Who knows? We have different aims. I am after the best fuel for my car. You seem to be after the cheapest. That's fair enough and you're getting good results. Good on you. But most people tend to do better with 95/98.

Hi Jet,

Wow 10% better economy from Amsoil that's impressive is that made by Amway?:wink:

I not sure you are getting my point.

Fuel economy has two parts, $ per litre and L per 100kms in the real world.

I pulled this from the Drive.com article you linked to

"However, it was the E10-fuelled car that was the cheapest to run over the entire 1764-kilometre, two-day highway trip. It used $172.65 in E10, compared with $189.15 worth of 98 RON for the car running on premium unleaded"

Also this test was done using E10 which is not as efficient as 91 ron unleaded  (has to be 3-4c) cheaper to break even over 91 ron unleaded  because of the ethanol not being as efficient "Source recent RACQ report"
I see you are based in NSW with and have government mandate (July 2015) for 6% ethanol. In Qld we do not have this yet and most servos sell 91 ron unleaded so it would even better economy had they used 91 unleaded ron in this test.

My car gets slightly better L per 100 kms but not enough to cover the extra cost of 98. I'm sure most cars would get better L per 100 kms but my whole point has been it will cost you more to get there in fuel cost, as the quote from the article has found it's just plain economics.

If you think your engine will last longer using 98 that would be an interesting point. I wonder if anyone has any data or test or such on this subject???