Aurion average fuel consumption approximation

DJKOR

My only theory is that my frequent trips are only about 5 to 10 minutes long, after the car has sat for awhile, so it isn't getting a chance to get to operating temp very quickly and as such is spending most of it's time running rich.

I get around 10L/100km in stop start traffic/ city driving and i get about 8L/100km on the motorway, doin bout 120 km/h. I also tow a trailer which is about 750 kilo's and i average 12-13 L/100km's which i am very pleased about. Aurion is very economical compare to a holden or ford :toast:

What the hell am I doing wrong ? I get 14L/100km . Car has done 120K . Just had the fuel injectors cleaned and the tyre pressure is always correct . Car is seviced every 7500km . The best ever consumption I've ever got was 9L/100km on a long country drive sitting on 120 which is within 15% of you but my stop start everyday city driving is 40% thirstier . 14L/100km was what I used to get with my AU station wagon that had 150k on it by the time I sold it .

What tyre pressure do you use? What engine oil do you use? Is your accelerator a on/off switch? I only use 11L/100km in the city and 7.5L/100km on the freeway and this is before i changed my engine oil to 5w30. I will find out next week how the new oil helps with my fuel ecc.

I run the tyre pressure that is recommended, 98 octane fuel BP or Caltex and i just start off slowly and just let the car roll along...... on the high way i let it coast down the hill, and gently go up the hills. I dont like to push the car too much but sometimes i need to give it a boot haha i love the power of the aurion. When i have the trailer on i accelerate down the hill whilst gettin the push from the trailer, so i get good speed without using alot of fuel and then use the momentum up the hills. Its all bout the amount of throttle you use when starting off and going up hills.

I run the tyre pressure that is recommended, 98 octane fuel BP or Caltex and i just start off slowly and just let the car roll along...... on the high way i let it coast down the hill, and gently go up the hills. I dont like to push the car too much but sometimes i need to give it a boot haha i love the power of the aurion. When i have the trailer on i accelerate down the hill whilst gettin the push from the trailer, so i get good speed without using alot of fuel and then use the momentum up the hills. Its all bout the amount of throttle you use when starting off and going up hills.

What is the "recommended" tyre pressure? My recommended is 38psi, others are 30-40psi.

LOL. If I was to drive my TRD the way you drive your Aurion, I can get 9.1l/100km in the city and 7.6l/100km on the highway. But driving like that rarely ever happens.

LOL. If I was to drive my TRD the way you drive your Aurion, I can get 9.1l/100km in the city and 7.6l/100km on the highway. But driving like that rarely ever happens.

lol, but if you were to drive your TRD that way someone would have to confiscate it for mistreatment of the poor girl whistling.gif

Couldn't be stuffed reading every comment to see if this was posted but for the iPhone users there is a iPhone app you can use to calculate your fuel consumption!

$1.19 AUS DriveMate Fuel

this app has loads of good features that allows you to see straight away what you have consumed!

TIP:

• Use your Odometer distance as the method for recording the distance traveled.
  • easy way to record that data is retain your fuel receipt and write it at the top of receipt to enter later.

Here is my screen shots of the 09 aurion i have and its consumption from 24th December 2010 (day i obtained my car)

(fuel here is mixture of different refueling from 91 or 95 RON, at least the last 6 entry's were 95 RON )

IMG_0326.pngIMG_0327.pngIMG_0328.png

What is the "recommended" tyre pressure? My recommended is 38psi, others are 30-40psi.

For my sportivo ZR6 i think it was something like 34 psi. I cant remember because it has been a while since i have adjusted them.

My Aurion only has about 1700 k's on the clock and I'm getting about 8.8 to 8.9. That's running 95RON and my daily drive is about 80% freeway.

I filled up this morning since I had to go to Coolum and didn't really think anything about it. Drove casually up to Coolum in a zoned out phase (ie. not driving hard like usual), and when I got there, I realised my Average Fuel Consumption reporting back 7.8l/100km. So this gave me an idea.

For my trip home, I decided to drive sedately (gentle acceleration, coasting where possible, staying around the speed limit, etc). The results are as follows. This was with no A/C, fan on full, and windows down 3/4 of the way.

About 75% of the driving was floating around the following parameters. Indicated speed on the speedo was 110km/h:

di-3130440354611.jpg

Reported fuel consumption reported was as follows. I had it on 7.2l/100km on the highway, but there was some bumper-to-bumper getting to the servo:

di-1513044035996.jpg

And here is the fill receipt. I always fill up till the first click then pull the nozzle out and wait 20 seconds before filling again till it clicks. Without fail, I usually get an extra litre into the tank. This is my standard way of filling so I can get the fill points somewhat the same:

di-513044036459.jpg

That works out to be 7.1l/100km.

That works out to be 7.1l/100km.

Wow... I have never achieved less than 7.7L/100Km on the dash display even after just filling up and driving like a Grannie on steroids! :lol:

But I think my weight (120kg last time I checked) may have something to do with this.... :whistling:

Great work. I think the learning ECU would have been a tad confused with your "born again" driving style. :P

I'm pleased to announce that my return trip from Toowoomba to Brisbane this morning had the trip computer stating I had managed 6.9L/100km. Once I got back to Toowong though there was a bit of heavy traffic which saw the figure rise to 7.2 by the time I got home.

So now I know the car is capable of very good economy on the freeway, I'm struggling to figure out why it's so bad around town.

i have taken the plunge n upgraded me fuel to bp 98 and have just had me 30000 km service,still under 9000km in reality.

i also decided to be a little more 'urgent' in the way i drive so after setting the trip metre i topped up after 100kms and was real glad with the results.

i do a 15min to work daily and made sure i floored it atleast once a day but kept within the speed limits of 50,60,70km zones to work.

i came in at just 7 litres per 100kms.....yu gotta b happy with that ( short trips n all ) makes me glad i got the big girl and not the small one lol.

cheers cam :D

ps the total fuel cost of the top up after 100ks was 10 bucks! shes such a smoothy B)

• 2 weeks later...

First a general question:

Given all the data do we conclude that the "Tank Average" display is on the money or what?

Second:

Very hard to compare one persons driving with anothers particularly the City/Country divide.

I often drive 500k to Brisbane the first part of the trip is a little hilly and I don't use the Cruise - it's more economic to let the car speed up down hill and slow back a tad uphill. On this section the display hands me about 8.3l /100km that's driving as close to 107 as I can.

Once i hit the dual carriageway 110 zone I set cruise at 117 and have frequently arrived at the outskits of Brisbane with displays of 6.8 to 7.2.

It's a Presara with standard Michelin tyres inflated to 38 - 40 psi

I think this is stunning economy.

While towing a small poptop van - about 1400kg - at 80 - 90kph - no cruise - I get between 12.5 and 15.8 l/100

A little off the fuel topic - I'd like to know what size is the van - and make and model.

How do you find the Aurion for towing the caravan.

Edited by iant56

• 1 month later...

I will be driving from Melbourne to Brisbane (via Wagga Wagga) in late July and back again so will keep a good track of fuel receipts over the course of the trip and will post the results on this thread when i return.

I expect about 95% of the trip will be highway driving with some city driving in and around Brisbane. Will be trying to use 95ulp as often as possible.

The car is a 2008 SX6 with Pirelli P7's on standard 17" Sportivo rims. The Pirelli's went on at 53k and the car will just be hitting 74k(75k service done at 73500km) when i embark on this ardious journey. Tyre pressure will be at or around 38psi front and back.

Car load will contain 2 adults(70kg and 75kg) and about 60-70kg of luggage(baby seat, pram + bags). I will put as much of the load on the back seat as i can, hoping this will reduce any lifting of the front of the car causing drag.

Add about 10kg for Music CD's as well(40+ hrs return is a lot of tunes).

If any one has any tips they think might reduce fuel consumption let me know and i'll see what i can do.

Edited by JontyLogo

hey all,

I've only had mine for a couple of weeks but the first tank so far has given me 10L / 100km. I am running bp ultimate 98, with tyre pressure 34 and have small freeway drives to and from work (usually in traffic). I will keep u updated of how low i can get it with continuing the bp ultimate.

I just recently drove from Bairnsdale to Sydney via Cooma & Canberra - pretty hilly but with lots of freeway driving and averaged 8.5 for the whole trip. At one stage the Average reading was 7.0 l/100ks, but I couldn't repeat that on the way back due to it being very windy.

2011 ZR6 - stock standard but with 240kpa in the tyres. I've had 7.4 & 7.2 previously but the above figures were 2 up and a boot full of gear, plus a grand daughter seat in the back!

hmm im not understanding this iphone app stuff.. :unsure: How does it know your your percentage of acceleration and engine load ?? is it all calculated? And how does it even know what your consumption is? (confused) lol

hmm im not understanding this iphone app stuff.. :unsure: How does it know your your percentage of acceleration and engine load ?? is it all calculated? And how does it even know what your consumption is? (confused) lol

It reads values from the ECU... DashCommand at least does:

GL1-OBD Reader-GoLink for iPhone | GoPoint Technology

di-1312962220009.jpg

I'm now averaging 13.8L/100km using 91RON as I'm only doing city traffic. Daily drive to work consists of 37 traffic lights each way. I normally cover the 13km drive to work in around 40mins. Aurion is great for highway driving, but city driving is average. Probably should have waited for the Camry Hybrid...Not.

yeah to make our figures useful

distance and time is a practical way to capture effects of traffic, lights, signs...

7-Eleven E10

22km in 45mins

11.5 to 12.5L/100km

Sorry to all the BP Ultimate fanboys out there but after doing a test of driving the same route everyday for 2 months. 1 month V power and 1 month BP ultimate i found V power to be more responsive for the throttle and has a better fuel economy (11.3L/100km vs 12.4L/100km). V power also smells better :spiteful:

Sorry to all the BP Ultimate fanboys out there but after doing a test of driving the same route everyday for 2 months. 1 month V power and 1 month BP ultimate i found V power to be more responsive for the throttle and has a better fuel economy (11.3L/100km vs 12.4L/100km).

The ambient temperature was probably higher when you drove on Ultimate :P

V power also smells better :spiteful:

Avgas is even better!