Aurion average fuel consumption approximation

DJKOR

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ill add to this discussion some more when ive done a tank or three. Still 2/3 throught the first tank full, and the onboard meter is telling me 10.6lt/100 around town (ACT, drive to work in traffic, drive home in free flowing traffic).

However, when i filled the tank, the distance to empty said 13klms, and i only got 57 lt into the tank brimming it, so if as the spec says its a 70 lt tank, then theres still another easy 100klms in it.

Next tank, im going to experiment with the following:

ill run 2x cans subaru upper engine cleaner through the engine (magic in a can), then

ill disconnect the battery, reset ecu

then fill up with BP E10 and see how far i can get till it runs dry. Ill carry a jerry of fuel in the back when i get close to empty.

im expecting i should see 650+ easily around town based on the tripmeters average usage figures.

will also start a ms excel spreadsheet for logging the usage this year.

My suby and the wifes Eos always do better on BP, so ill stick to BP fuels

i did 11 months of fuel monitoring for 95RON Fuel with all sorts of driving containing of Hoon/Cruise/long range etc.

average fuel comsumption was 10.5 L/100 consisting of over $2300+ of fuel, 25,000 - 30,000 Km.

Im afraid tho i lost my data :( so cant post it up.

• 1 month later...

For the sake of keeping a record of this, I figured I may as well post an update here.

As usual, my spreadsheet is available by clicking on the following link:

TRD Fuel Consumption (Excel Spreadsheet)

- At 5313km, my total fuel used was 500.99L and my average fuel consumption was 9.43L/100km

- At 9532km, my total fuel used was 909.91L and my average fuel consumption was 9.55L/100km

- At 17650km, my total fuel used was 1685.71L and my average fuel consumption was 9.55L/100km

- At 29083km, my total fuel used was 2837.00L and my average fuel consumption was 9.75L/100km

- At 43105km, my total fuel used was 4230.59L and my average fuel consumption was 9.81L/100km

- At 64746km, my total fuel used was 6378.71L and my average fuel consumption was 9.85L/100km

- At 86030km, my total fuel used was 8495.35L and my average fuel consumption was 9.87L/100km

- At 118548km, my total fuel used was 11582.39L and my average fuel consumption was 9.77L/100km

Considering that over the car has travelled 136,909km since it rolled off the production line, has not had a single wheel alignment since it was purchased, and has not had any services done out of the ordinary logbook related items, I would say that it is doing quite good considering that the fuel efficiency of this car was rated at 10.9l/100km combined cycle. Heck, that's even better than the non-TRD which is rated at 9.9l/100km.

On a side note.... nearly $18,000 in fuel over two years. Wow.

im not surprised

i think the fuel consumption figures of the aurion in general are under sold in toyota press releases

i get fantastic results aswell although i dont use the car all that much and use 98 its still all relative and great for us owners

cheers cam

ps a jimmny i had bought new :ph34r:

2007 model used twice as much fuel and the same driving conditions ...gos to show refined engines make all the diff

I live in Coober pedy, which if any of you know it, is a really small town(no traffic lights, one round-a-bout and lots of small maze-like streets), and i'm a bit of a lead foot. So thanks to the heavy acceleration and stop-start driving I get around 15l/100km. But when i drive down the highway to Port Augusta (a 520km drive), i sit on 120kph and I get 8.1l/100km. But still the best car i've ever owned.

FYI, i only use 98RON Premium.

• 2 months later...

Recently drove from Adelaide to Canberra, trip total length was (rounding 15km down) 1300km, I used 1 full tank and a quarter of the next tank

I seemed to manage 6.73L/100KM. (according to calculations not the car.)

Click here for the route

Didn't fuel up until Seymour (which is right above Melbourne) the fuel light wasn't on but wanted to fuel at a BP

BP 98 Ultimate the whole trip.

Nearing 12 months with my baby now, fuel economy continues to impress me, has averaged 9.92ltrs/100klms from 12,000klm travelled

All but 2 tanks on 91 unleaded..

post-24668-0-33037000-1338891920_thumb.j

Edited by VirgilC

Just did a station to station trip to Sydney and Back from Canberra 55L of fuel used in the total of 612km 8.99L/100km. Hit terrible Sydney traffic at 6pm =[ Never again.

added: this is with BP 91. (I'm going through a stage of broke-ness, just moved interstate.)

Edited by Brad - SX6

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

When I had the silver Aurion actually a few weeks prior to its write off, you can see attached the image of my fuel economy when driving from Victoria Park to Stirling to pick up mate then driving to Bunbury for lunch on the long weekend. My mate could not believe how low my fuel economy was and he remarked it betters his Ford Focus's economy. That fuel needle did not move a spot until I was driving back home! By the time I got home, it was between full and 3 quarter mark.

Now I have a new Aurion so I have yet to comment on its fuel economy cos it is still new (picked it up with zero kms - now 600 kms). I would wait until after 1,000 km mark as it should free the engine up.

Cheers

Dave

post-18809-0-49144700-1340705002_thumb.j

Edited by DeafDave76

What is wrong with my Aurion then, since it's last service around town I have been getting 14.5L per 100 which is good as before that it was always in the 15s since I got it new in 2010, the best I have got on the highway with cruise control on is down to 8.2L per 100km. Don't know what I would get now after the service but no matter how moderately I drive it still guzzles, like I said 14.5L per 100ks is the average round town but only since it's last service, it has 13500 km on the clock. Don't know if it's the heat up here or what, drove it from Townsville to Melbourne, was pretty impressed though it seemed to get better litres per km at 110 than 100kmph but even better at 140kmph. It's like it's built for high speed and crap around town. Since I put on my bodykit, I have been driving very sedately, but not much improvement over if I drive a bit harder, most of my calculations were before the last service but I connot believe the pic above, I have never seen mine get under 8L per 100km no matter how I drive. On my trip from Townsville to Melbourne, I limped into a town, fuel light on, gauge on empty, trip meter said zero k's left, got 717km out of the tank, it took 69 litres to fill, I was impressed with that having a 70 litre tank I should have been able to get another 100ks out of it though I have been told that Toyota have always had around a 10 litre 'reserve' after the gauge is on 'E'. Still can't believe how much mine goes through when I fill up. My last average was 14.7 litres per 100 varied driving around town but mostly moderate and not too much right foot. Hope my trip computer is ok, my km/litre calculations are about the same so it must be right but I see heaps of members on here getting better economy than me? Can't wait till it's out of warranty so I can put a decent air ram style pod filter on it with a cold air intake pipe and open up the exhaust from the 'Y' to 2.5 inch pipes with no rear mufflers, that will hopefully give better economy, more power and a nice sound both intake and exhaust.

Edited by SATORI893

What is wrong with my Aurion then, since it's last service around town I have been getting 14.5L per 100

It won't help matters Graeme but have a look at what the 2wd Kluger 3.5 V6's have been delivering but it shows what that motor can do. A friend has an Aurion and they have had 7's during an interstate trip.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php/topic/13314-fuel-consumption-survey-35l-kluger/page__st__135

As you say it has dropped since your last service I wonder what oil they put in it? I have heard of instances with other makes where they have found a cheaper grade of oil was used. Penny pinching at the extreme? but it happens.

Thanks Barney for that,

The builder who is working on my house says his son who is into Ford F250/350s with V8s in them says that he gets better economy overall using Caltex Vortex, I noticed going to Melbourne that some smaller servos didn't have the Vortex unleaded and when I filled up there was a difference in performance, those that had the Vortex Unleaded when I filled up I did notice the car ran smoother, had more power and got better economy. As for the last service, all of them since new have been through Toyota with the capped $130 service for the 1st 3years, but as I said since the bodykit went on before this service I am more sedate in my driving habits because of potholes and in carparks to avoid damaging the kit and this has also made me drive the car less agressively, I had a bit of a lead foot at first, but even back then when it was guzzling fuel I would take it easy but didn't make much difference, not sure what they did last service, was a big one, well they had heaps listed on the job sheet but doesn't mean they did it all but like I said the car is smoother, accelerates better though I have not given it much though I did the other day to beat some traffic, even with the traction control the wheels were spinning for nearly 100meters or so, not full on but I could hear the squealing as the traction control engaged on and off. Like I said getting around 14.5l/100 round town when I used to never get under 15s. bought it in Dec 2010 so it was it's 4th service I think. only has 13500ks on it. Want to take it on a good higway run and see how it goes to compare very soon.

Edited by SATORI893

Had a car for 3 years. Tried each fuel for 2 months at the time. Driving from Mill Park To Abbotsford plus weekend shopping at Preston or Lalor. So 50km return suburb trips to work with plenty traffic lights. Best performance on BP Ultimate at 10.2 l/100km and only slightly better milage 10.1l/100km on Vortex 98. Decided to stick with BPU. One went to Echuca and TA shoved 7.5 on BP. Overall I'm happy.

wheels squealing for 100 meters hey, sure it wasn't your air con belts.

Factory tires and resurfaced damp road from light rain earlier, 100 meters is not that far, a human sprinter can cover it in under 10 seconds.

Edited by SATORI893

100 meters is not that far, a human sprinter can cover it in under 10 seconds.

My 100mr PB is 19.01... (minutes that is :spiteful: )

I have given up on Vortex around here .. (2285) I have not experienced any difference over ulp for so long I am no longer donating to their booty. The same with Shell around here. With BP Ultimate I can notice the difference so will be sticking with that or good old ulp in the future. I achieved the magic 7 number using BP Ultimate so can't argue with that.

Graeme... would the body kit cause more wind resistance and not help your economy?

From owning many straight 6's and a recent 10 yr stint owning a sweet Toyota 3L V6 the way to drive them is with a gentle touch... just let the momentum build up, no need to drive them like a 4cyl. If someone beats you to the next lights then so be it..

It bugs my mrs... my Kluger kills her 07 2.4 4cyl Camry on economy :rolleyes:.

100 meters is not that far, a human sprinter can cover it in under 10 seconds.

My 100mr PB is 19.01... (minutes that is :spiteful: )

I have given up on Vortex around here .. (2285) I have not experienced any difference over ulp for so long I am no longer donating to their booty. The same with Shell around here. With BP Ultimate I can notice the difference so will be sticking with that or good old ulp in the future. I achieved the magic 7 number using BP Ultimate so can't argue with that.

Graeme... would the body kit cause more wind resistance and not help your economy?

From owning many straight 6's and a recent 10 yr stint owning a sweet Toyota 3L V6 the way to drive them is with a gentle touch... just let the momentum build up, no need to drive them like a 4cyl. If someone beats you to the next lights then so be it..

It bugs my mrs... my Kluger kills her 07 2.4 4cyl Camry on economy :rolleyes:.

Techniqcally it should improve handling but it is just all show, If you look at any race car the kit scrapes the ground and bottoms out constantly and would be totally impractical on the street, race kits are desided to stop air getting under the car so they dont float at high speed. Mine is just a lip kit, the rear apron may cause extra drag from air coming from under the car out the back, the sideskits don't stick out that much and with the 4 mudflaps gone to fit it all on I think the mudflaps would have caused some drag but that is getting a bit picky, the front spoiler is not much lower than the original bumper, it sticks out further forward and is rounded so should really go throught the air without causing extra drag. I just meant I drive more sedately now the kit is on cause I am worried about potholes and anthing that could damage it like driveways and stuff, the car scraped before if I pulled into or out of a driveway to fast so I take it slower now and when coming up to speed bumps and driveways, I start slowing down a lot earlier instead of harder breaking before I pull in, makes for a smother ride also, wasn't really about fuel economy just the kit wasn't cheap with the painting and all so I want to look after it plus it makes the car look so much better (looked good before though) but don't want to thrash my car now, have spent too much and want to look after it and only drive it hard if the need arises, like overtaking on the highway etc. I just meant before the kit went on I had a bit of a lead foot, now the car looks a little more prestigious I want to preserve it.

Edited by SATORI893

Addition question I thought of today, in regards to my poor economy in city cycle compared to others on here, my car does not go into 6th gear until I reach 70kmph, (I know this cause I have counted/watched the Tacho needle drops while taking off and appart from taking off in 1st, there is only 4 rev drops between standing and up to 60) is this because 6th gear is too high for speeds under 70, is that how it is meant to operate or is it not doing the right thing, does anyone's Aurion go into 6th at speeds under 70kmph? Even when I am in 'S' mode and I change to 6th at 60kmph there is no revs drop, it only works up to 5th. Nothing in owner's manual except not to exceed 198kmph in 4th, wow...how fast would and Aurion go??,

Edited by SATORI893

6th gear before 70km/h would be very low - I know mine wouldn't do it

By 80km/h on a flat road it would, but even at highway speeds it wouldn't stay in 6th unless I was just puttering along.

For me the best revs i could get at 70km/h about 1.4k rpm, 80km/h about 1.5k rpm and 90km/h about 1.6k rpm. no idea if that is 5th or 6th gear but i think it's 6th gear.

Satorl893 i managed to get 230km/h on my Aurion before. IIRC reading somewhere the limit was electronically limited to 235km/h