GOT MY VAREX =]

ApBPaul

oh and in terms of SB comments about everyone following each other... i put it down to this...

the aurion isnt exactly a 'cash cow' for business's to develop things for it...

ie, its not a skyline that there are million and one different options available to you...

therefore, once someone does something and its proven to achieve certain results (ie, noise when you want, quiet when you want), then its only natural for people to follow that person... and for the record, its not just "because daryl did it"... in terms of the varex's there were two (from the top of my head) people before him to go down that path...

its just like the sportivo boys and the CES equipment...

CES have a certain products that work and people are happy with it... now, majority of sportivo's get the "CES treatment"...

why? well, why would you waste your money on R&D when all the work and money has already been spent? doesn't seem smart...

any way, thats my 0.3cents... (**** recession is killing me! lol)

Ash I understand what you are saying in regards to the Aurion. But at the same time span in the life on the Sportivo Corolla as compared to the Aurion I did exactly that.Sportivo had only been on the market for 4 months and i forked out the $ and got a system made. It worked really well and when people heard about it and I posted pics etc it got a lot of interest. I then went back to CES and approached them about putting it into production plus thay had received quite a few enquiries about it as well. The rest is history so to speak and I'm sure that the Aurion will have a longer life span than the 3 odd years that the Sportivo Corolla existed on the new car market.

I guess it just comes down to somebody putting up the $$ and being the big guinea pig for the big bad Aurion.....

FYI CES did do a full system for a TRD Hilux(custom exhaust manifold and full stainless system with custom mufflers etc etc.) Car sounded brilliant and performance improvements were very noticable. Owner was taking car to have tune down with aftermarket computer but has never been seen or heard of since....

we're both talking about the same thing essentially...

i guess what i'm getting at is that while some people want performance gains from modifications they do to the car, others purely want the modification to either make the car look better or sound better...

i have NO DOUBT at all that once someone is ready to spend money on getting more power squeezed out of the aurion, i'm sure they'll spend the money to properly design a system.. (there was one guy down south who has already tried i believe)

until then, if people want a mod to make there car sound better than its been proven 3 times now that the varex is a good option...

at the end of the day, if i still had my job, i'd be knocking on CES's door to design me a proper system... unfortunately for me, that aint the case..

the only thing stopping me getting a FULL system done on my car is my issue with the CEL coming on... and i think thats scarring off a few people as well...

anyway... all i'm getting at is that i think you should just respect other peoples decision's in what they choose to do to their cars... the varex muffler is FAR from a turbonator (or what ever those electric fans are called)... these mufflers have been proven over and over again in the wider car community to work (IN ACHIEVING WHAT THEY WERE DESIGNED FOR!!).. i havent actually seen anywhere that claims to get HUGE power increase by just placing one of these mufflers on their cars... the idea of the valve in the exhaust system has been around for YEARS... so its not exactly a "new idea"... its just a new implementation of the old idea... :)

oh and just for the record... i'm not having a go at you... just having a healthy discussion... so please dont ban me mr mod admin sir... :P hahaha

Edited by SecaBoy

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went for a drive in Daryl's car the other night, and I think the twin Varex setup sounds really nice from inside the car (haven't heard it from outside in anger yet). With the Varex open, it has a bit more of an aggressive sound when accelerating, but is what I would call still very quiet when open.

My take on Varex is, if ppl want to spend the $, there should be no contest from anyone as to how they should spend their money. My only gripe with Varex is the exorbitant price. It works really well on the Aurion, but I haven't heard it on any other car before AFKAIK.

I've got an XForce oval twinloop sitting under my work bench in the garage that I used to have on my Astina, and I thought it was great. So I know XForce make decent quality stuff if you don't go overboard on the size. My twinloop was 2" on a crap exhaust butchered up from here and there.

Gav.

heres how it sounds on my stivo.... its a crappy lil accel video but you get the drift.

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

">

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

oh and in terms of SB comments about everyone following each other... i put it down to this...

the aurion isnt exactly a 'cash cow' for business's to develop things for it...

ie, its not a skyline that there are million and one different options available to you...

therefore, once someone does something and its proven to achieve certain results (ie, noise when you want, quiet when you want), then its only natural for people to follow that person... and for the record, its not just "because daryl did it"... in terms of the varex's there were two (from the top of my head) people before him to go down that path...

its just like the sportivo boys and the CES equipment...

CES have a certain products that work and people are happy with it... now, majority of sportivo's get the "CES treatment"...

why? well, why would you waste your money on R&D when all the work and money has already been spent? doesn't seem smart...

any way, thats my 0.3cents... (**** recession is killing me! lol)

Ash I understand what you are saying in regards to the Aurion. But at the same time span in the life on the Sportivo Corolla as compared to the Aurion I did exactly that.Sportivo had only been on the market for 4 months and i forked out the $ and got a system made. It worked really well and when people heard about it and I posted pics etc it got a lot of interest. I then went back to CES and approached them about putting it into production plus thay had received quite a few enquiries about it as well. The rest is history so to speak and I'm sure that the Aurion will have a longer life span than the 3 odd years that the Sportivo Corolla existed on the new car market.

I guess it just comes down to somebody putting up the $$ and being the big guinea pig for the big bad Aurion.....

FYI CES did do a full system for a TRD Hilux(custom exhaust manifold and full stainless system with custom mufflers etc etc.) Car sounded brilliant and performance improvements were very noticable. Owner was taking car to have tune down with aftermarket computer but has never been seen or heard of since....

we're both talking about the same thing essentially...

i guess what i'm getting at is that while some people want performance gains from modifications they do to the car, others purely want the modification to either make the car look better or sound better...

i have NO DOUBT at all that once someone is ready to spend money on getting more power squeezed out of the aurion, i'm sure they'll spend the money to properly design a system.. (there was one guy down south who has already tried i believe)

until then, if people want a mod to make there car sound better than its been proven 3 times now that the varex is a good option...

at the end of the day, if i still had my job, i'd be knocking on CES's door to design me a proper system... unfortunately for me, that aint the case..

the only thing stopping me getting a FULL system done on my car is my issue with the CEL coming on... and i think thats scarring off a few people as well...

anyway... all i'm getting at is that i think you should just respect other peoples decision's in what they choose to do to their cars... the varex muffler is FAR from a turbonator (or what ever those electric fans are called)... these mufflers have been proven over and over again in the wider car community to work (IN ACHIEVING WHAT THEY WERE DESIGNED FOR!!).. i havent actually seen anywhere that claims to get HUGE power increase by just placing one of these mufflers on their cars... the idea of the valve in the exhaust system has been around for YEARS... so its not exactly a "new idea"... its just a new implementation of the old idea... :)

oh and just for the record... i'm not having a go at you... just having a healthy discussion... so please dont ban me mr mod admin sir... :P hahaha

No offense taken Ash. I understand the majority of Aurion owners are just after a bit more noise and the varex is obviously an option - albeit for me a bit of an expensive one but it has it's merits in that you can turn the noise off basically. A lot of peeps that I have had anything to do with who have a varex try and tell me how much more HP their car has but when asked for some concrete evidence all i hear is crickets LOL.

I have spent time at length under an Aurion and certainly can see a fair bit of a HP increase in doing a whole system properly. Just how much of a gain will be something we will just have to wait and see.....

I have spent time at length under an Aurion and certainly can see a fair bit of a HP increase in doing a whole system properly. Just how much of a gain will be something we will just have to wait and see.....

i agree 1000000%... the stock exhaust system is quite ridiculous.. the only good thing about it is the cat converter!! haha

maybe once i have a job again, i'll look into the exhaust idea again... but at this stage, i'm pulling out of the modding game for a while! haha

well thanks to mr k-rudd, i am FINALLY getting my varex installed today...

should hopefully be done by lunch time...

oh and for the record... those with TRD's and wanting twin varex's at the rear, IT IS POSSIBLE TO FIT THEM!!!

the people who did my previous exhaust was talking ****... :(

simon from exotic exhausts said that they would definitely fit if the tip of the cannon muffler was chopped off... no mods are needed to the rear bumper... :)

anyway... i'm VERY excited and can't wait to see what its gonna sound like... :)

i'll most likely be going back to them for them to make a new "squashed y-pipe" section that isnt squashed together... but that'll be in a couple of weeks time... plus, drew has to buy a scantool first (HURRRYYYYY UPPPPPP!!!! hehe)..

yeh hurry up drew with the scantool haha my intake needs finishing lol

gl on the sound mate hopefully when i go there next week mine will sound ok too

was it an oval one that you put in or cylinder? does it sit lower than the stock one?

btw...u going on the dyno next sat at the show and shine dyno day? im going but not sure weather im getting on....if the intake is done and my exhaust goes alright ill do it

Edited by ELEGNT

rowan: it was the cannon type... dunno how its sitting yet, i'll post up with pictures and more details once i get the car... :) (T minus 20mins)

yeah mate, i'll be at the dyno day... i'll hopefully be putting the trd on the dyno... but i went there the other day and they are BIG V8 bogans... lol so i dont know what kinda reception i'd get from the crowd thats going... :lol:

elgin: yeah man... do ITTT!!!! any ETA on when your car will be fixed?

fuk yeh thats what i was thinking....all v8's with fatties on and these bloody 6cyl aurions rock up with rubber bands on 20's haha get some fuked up looks i think

ull get more respect than me with a supercharger but i got nothing....if i have my intake done ill hit it

just a note as this is aurion performance related.

i finally got to drive an aurion last week. an atx auto. djkor posted up that someone pulled a 14.51 out of a standard atx. I'm guessing this was done on some dash mount PS1 gtech.

flat 15's at best, the problem is getting the car off the line and a lack of puff from near the rev range top. 313, your car must be flying with your set up, great work. Do aurion owners short shift their autos>?

i did lurvvvv the read out display and the bass out of the standard system, and sitting on 1600rpm on the highway, and the comfort, and the funny handbrake.... only if they made a wagon version...

whitestivo

just a note as this is aurion performance related.

i finally got to drive an aurion last week. an atx auto. djkor posted up that someone pulled a 14.51 out of a standard atx. I'm guessing this was done on some dash mount PS1 gtech.

flat 15's at best, the problem is getting the car off the line and a lack of puff from near the rev range top. 313, your car must be flying with your set up, great work. Do aurion owners short shift their autos>?

i did lurvvvv the read out display and the bass out of the standard system, and sitting on 1600rpm on the highway, and the comfort, and the funny handbrake.... only if they made a wagon version...

whitestivo

atx has the same engine as the sportivo.but id does feel slower being an auto and cant really feel the trasition between gears. mines an ex gov car maybe they chiped it or whatever. dont think the exhast made that much differance.

and that is why i want to ave a drag night but no other NA aurion wants to go out with it, out of the whole tocau brisbane i got 1 other person and that was ash.

u said the power lacks up top? thats the only place that it happens in mine...u have to be above 4 to be pulling hard and at 6k it pulls like a train!!! no way i would short shift i would pull a 17 second. redline every gear or nothing...keep it in drive too

the read out display on the ATX is different to the sportivo. everyone baggs the speakers on it but i think there pretty good for standard

next time we meet up phil u can take mine out for a spin see how she goes and handles ;)

Edited by ELEGNT

okay... so here is the setup...

stock to the cat, then a cannon varex muffler, then split into two with two supercat mufflers...

the result???

well, when the valve is closed, its probably just as quiet as stock... maybe it has a little 'deeper' note... hard to tell, as i dont remember what the stock car sounds like...

when the valve opens, its slightly louder than before with the stock resonator and two supercat mufflers... but the tone is a lot deeper.. :)

to be honest, i havent heard it from outside the car, but it sounds exactly how i wanted it... :D

now to the power question...

going by the "seat of the pants dyno", i'd have to say its a bit more "punchy" when the valve is open than when its closed... but not by a HUGE difference...

all in all, i'm EXTREMELY happy with the result... i *may* go back and get rid of the supercat mufflers and replace them with straight pipe, but right now i'm happy with it... :)

might go and get the straight pipe for when i go to the drags... :P hehe

anyway, any questions, just ask... :D

congrats man glad your happy with the results...straight pipes doesnt make much diff to the supercats. i did the block the other day with no mufflers and its was louder but only by a smig....sounds like daryls cut off...less dronny tho which suprised me.

so u can tell the diff from the stock resonator to when this ones open?

looks like u will be on the dyno then next week?

the only **** thing about dyno is that u need to be on the same dyno and set up by the same person to get a real accurate figure.....dyno's are so inaccurate and incosistant!!!!!

btw...u going on the dyno next sat at the show and shine dyno day? im going but not sure weather im getting on....if the intake is done and my exhaust goes alright ill do it

Dyno day? Why didn't I hear about this. If I get all the details... I'm there.

313, your car must be flying with your set up, great work.

I don't get why Rowan gets praised for his muffler swap, yet I get crap for putting Varex on my Aurion. When my Varex is open, it is exactly the same as Rowan's 'set-up' since they are both 2.5 inch straight through mufflers when you look through them from end to end internally.

I don't get why Rowan gets praised for his muffler swap, yet I get crap for putting Varex on my Aurion. When my Varex is open, it is exactly the same as Rowan's 'set-up' since they are both 2.5 inch straight through mufflers when you look through them from end to end internally.

I still love u D .....

Varex is a good choice .....

Dyno day? Why didn't I hear about this. If I get all the details... I'm there.

dyno day next sat be there if u go daryl ill DEFS go in like is on boost. fat pipes dyno show and shine look it up

http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/index....howtopic=400513

ditto for my set up being the same as yours. i think the whole point of phils negativity agains varex's is that y buy a muffler if u want to shut it off quiet.

i dont have a prob with them.....but we will defs challange on the dyno champ

I've semi-changed my mind on the Varex's due to Ash's car. Sure, I think it's still fairly expensive for what they do, but it's an end to a means and if you have the cash, go for it.

I'll let him upload some pics, I took some of the system on the ground and he took a few when it was installed. Doesn't sound all that great without the rear mufflers hence the talk of swapping to dogs - should take the 'rattle' out of it, while remaining decently loud.

Personally, I think the three cats and the front section that is keeping the car fairly quiet.

I've semi-changed my mind on the Varex's due to Ash's car. Sure, I think it's still fairly expensive for what they do, but it's an end to a means and if you have the cash, go for it.

I'll let him upload some pics, I took some of the system on the ground and he took a few when it was installed. Doesn't sound all that great without the rear mufflers hence the talk of swapping to dogs - should take the 'rattle' out of it, while remaining decently loud.

Personally, I think the three cats and the front section that is keeping the car fairly quiet.

warrenty void if you play around with the cats...i spose the SRI is going down that track too tho

u want to hear loud drew...on tuesday i think thats all that will be happening...hopefully a nice loud tho :unsure:

Edited by ELEGNT

warrenty void if you play around with the cats...i spose the SRI is going down that track too tho

u want to hear loud drew...on tuesday i think thats all that will be happening...hopefully a nice loud tho :unsure:

It depends what you're putting in place of the resonator :P

It depends what you're putting in place of the resonator :P

HOT DOOOOOOOOOOOG

313 has laid down some performance numbers for the world to see, and puts em in his signature, and that too me earns respect. now i just got to get him to the track...

trd supercharged the same, huge kudos taking the aurion out on the track, the first ever i'm guessing.

i'm sorry 313 not going to drags, totally not my thing, but i'll be happy to escort you around qr in july.

maybe i'll have to buy a rav4 v6 so i can get that engine in a wagon...

i'm pretty sure secaboy lives near me, so I'm stoked to have another hot aurion in my area.

whitestivo

congrats man glad your happy with the results...straight pipes doesnt make much diff to the supercats. i did the block the other day with no mufflers and its was louder but only by a smig....sounds like daryls cut off...less dronny tho which suprised me.

so u can tell the diff from the stock resonator to when this ones open?

looks like u will be on the dyno then next week?

the only **** thing about dyno is that u need to be on the same dyno and set up by the same person to get a real accurate figure.....dyno's are so inaccurate and incosistant!!!!!

i've got the oval mufflers though, so it actually makes a fair bit of difference... ;)

yeah, i can definitely hear the difference... its not significantly different, but its a deeper note..

i agree with you on the dyno thing... its hard to get a good comparison between runs on different days...

i'll still most likely throw the trd on the dyno...

who knows man.. they're all haters... :P hahaha

drew, just upload the pics you took, cause the ones i took on my phone turned out like ****... i'll post them up in a sec, but you cant see much... lol

i'll be looking at the hot dog mufflers once i get back...

yeah, those cats are untouchable unfortunately... :(

although, i reckon if you touch that front join in the exhaust, it'll also cause problems with the warranty because of where the sensors are positioned... :(

/waiting for Ash to finish all the mods so I can replicate.... :D

You don't mind, do you, Ash?

hahaha, nah mate, i dont mind... do this varex this bro... its awesome!! when you come out next time, i'll take you for a drive and show you the results... :)

i'm pretty sure secaboy lives near me, so I'm stoked to have another hot aurion in my area.

i dunno man, i've moved a lot recently... :lol:

i'm out at North Lakes these days... (near redcliffe)