Sound System - Where can i get a better price sound system?

Ingres

Recently having the thought of changing my speakers and adding amp and sub to my car. Got the following quotation from a JB HIFI Staff and he offered a discount for the package, not sure whether it is worth it.

Alpine Amp

- 4 Channel AMP MRP-F300 $335 (Original Price: $399)

- Mono Amp MRP-M500 $499 (Original Price: $440)

Alpine Subwoofer SBR-S122V $340 (Original Price: $398)

Alpine Speakers (2 Sets Front and Back)

6" x 9" SPR-69c $210 (Original Price: $249)

Wiring Kit $120 (Original Price: $165)

Installation $420

Total Price: $2134

Does anyone know of any places that i can get all the products for a reasonable price. Doesn't need to be Alpine, i have been to WOW, JB HIFI, Autobarn. I find that generally WOW price is cheaper for Brands that they carry like: Pioneer, Kicker, OnlineAudio and such.

DJKOR has recommended me to get the same brand for my AMP and SUB, so does anyone know of a good place to buy and install everything? Please advise. Very much appreciated.

I am staying in Sunnybank, Brisbane. Cheers.

Recently having the thought of changing my speakers and adding amp and sub to my car. Got the following quotation from a JB HIFI Staff and he offered a discount for the package, not sure whether it is worth it.

Alpine Amp

- 4 Channel AMP MRP-F300 $335 (Original Price: $399)

- Mono Amp MRP-M500 $499 (Original Price: $440)

Alpine Subwoofer SBR-S122V $340 (Original Price: $398)

Alpine Speakers (2 Sets Front and Back)

Wiring Kit $120 (Original Price: $165)

Installation $420

Total Price: $2134

Does anyone know of any places that i can get all the products for a reasonable price. Doesn't need to be Alpine, i have been to WOW, JB HIFI, Autobarn. I find that generally WOW price is cheaper for Brands that they carry like: Pioneer, Kicker, OnlineAudio and such.

DJKOR has recommended me to get the same brand for my AMP and SUB, so does anyone know of a good place to buy and install everything? Please advise. Very much appreciated.

I am staying in Sunnybank, Brisbane. Cheers.

beaware though, all your steering wheel button may becomes toy if you change the head unit.. :-)

try northfield car, if you have spare money.. they offer very good job...

i pmed you some info about northfield at moorooka and the guy i know there and also the RRP for the woofer you ahve is $499, my friend ordered one but found out it didnt fit in his car so they swapped it to a sealed box. so you dont have to order it in (like other places...), it will be on the display floor good as new and never used. it was a 1 week wait from the time you do your deposit till you get it in your hand. oh and they also tune your headunit and amps for free compared to other places that just let you do it yourself.

Alpine is renowned for sound quality (tight fast bass, still goes loud) where as kicker is SPL (woofer wise) which is less tight but still sounds great, may have "bass lag" when you play fast deep techno (jump style or whatever), maybe fixed with the right headunit or programing depending on the woofer set up you got (sealed = tight and clear, ported/vented = louder/boomier).

when i got my woofer system (cables, 2 woofers, 2 sealed boxes and mono block) it costed me 1.1k where its RRP is 1.7k i think, cant remember.

Edited by Eargunk

Beside Alpine, I have in mind Infinity products as well

Infinity Amp

Reference Series 5 Channel Bridgeable Amplifier (REF1220SE) $449

Infinity Sub

Reference 12"Subwoofer Single Preloaded Enclosure Ported (REF1220SE) $389

Infinity Speakers

300 Watt 6x9" Reference Series 3-way Full Range Speakers (REF9623I) $199 x 02

If i buy infinity, i should be able to save abit on Amp as i only need one 5-channel instead of buying two amp for speakers and sub. But the problem will be where is a good place to get them installed? Any recommendation of places which provide good service?? Are infinity or alpine a better choice? Any opinions will help. Thanks.

NORTHFIELD CAR SOUND

MACGREGOR U17/ 547 Kessels Rd 4109

(07) 3849 4006

MOOROOKA 7 Colebrook Ave 4105

(07) 3892 2555

BTW... If you are getting a subwoofer... then don't bother with 6x9s... better off with 6.5" splits for that high end and clarity.

Are you wanting a custom boot install? If not even a auto electrician can do it for cheaper however tuning could be crap.

In my opinion I'd just get a mono block and 10" or 12" sub and have it running off standard unit.

Pioneer is pretty good too if you want something cheaper than Alpine. Also depends on what type of music you listen to.

Combining your speaker and subwoofer amp into one is alright if you are just after the perfect balance of low, mid, and high range audio, but if you are really after some booming bass (eg. you want to feel the bass and you want it to hit strong), you are better off getting two separate amps. An amp which has a high power output for the sub channel can get quite pricey.

BTW... If you are getting a subwoofer... then don't bother with 6x9s... better off with 6.5" splits for that high end and clarity.

Are you wanting a custom boot install? If not even a auto electrician can do it for cheaper however tuning could be crap.

In my opinion I'd just get a mono block and 10" or 12" sub and have it running off standard unit.

Pioneer is pretty good too if you want something cheaper than Alpine. Also depends on what type of music you listen to.

I do not need a custom boot install, they look so nice its hard to put things in the boot anymore, hahaha. I just need some nice music when i am driving, i don't really listen to loud music, mostly 80s music, no techno or alternative etc. So actually i need something pretty normal will do.

What do you mean getting just a mono and 10" and 12" sub and have it running off standard unit? does it means i don't need to get speakers and an additional amp?? Sorry but i am just a novice when it comes to Cars and Sound System for Cars.. ahhahaa..

way to expensive...go to wow sight and sound at underwood thy will do that for alot less

Trust me, if you had seen some of the things that have supposedly come from there, you wouldn't go near the place ;) Autobarn Logan City, speak to Deb regarding products (she is a bit Pioneer biased though), speak to Anthony regarding installation.

way to expensive...go to wow sight and sound at underwood thy will do that for alot less

DIY install FTW.... LOL.

If only i have your expertise in cars, i might even have problem installing a wireless reverse camera in the car (Still waiting for it though). Sigh. So have to rely on others to do the installation, or who is free to install for me at a cheaper price?? hahahaha..

Trust me, if you had seen some of the things that have supposedly come from there, you wouldn't go near the place ;) Autobarn Logan City, speak to Deb regarding products (she is a bit Pioneer biased though), speak to Anthony regarding installation.

Is WOW really that bad?? i went to Underwood, the guy sounds confident but not the one in Annerley, perhaps it is just the sales that is confident and not the one installing hahaha..

DIY install FTW.... LOL.

If only i have your expertise in cars, i might even have problem installing a wireless reverse camera in the car (Still waiting for it though). Sigh. So have to rely on others to do the installation, or who is free to install for me at a cheaper price?? hahahaha..

DJKOR and me did a mint job on mine....was great...ill be happy to intall your sub/amp for you for no charge mate....u can have a look at mine first if ur not a fan of how DIY turns out

Is WOW really that bad?? i went to Underwood, the guy sounds confident but not the one in Annerley, perhaps it is just the sales that is confident and not the one installing hahaha..

ive got the sound systems for my past 3 cars from WOW underwood and they give me great bargains, my mates are all really happy with them too...installed all of them myself tho

DIY install FTW.... LOL.

DJKOR and me did a mint job on mine....was great...ill be happy to intall your sub/amp for you for no charge mate....u can have a look at mine first if ur not a fan of how DIY turns out

Wow thats really nice of you to help me with the installation? Which brand do u reckon i get from WOW?? Is it the underwood outlet? Its good that i can learn from guys like u on how to DIY the things, would be great if you can give me some recommendation on the speakers, amp and sub to get? Is it necessary to change the speakers as DJKOR just add the amp and sub without changing the speakers? Sorry for being a novice in these.. hahaha.. Thanks mate..

Wow thats really nice of you to help me with the installation? Which brand do u reckon i get from WOW?? Is it the underwood outlet? Its good that i can learn from guys like u on how to DIY the things, would be great if you can give me some recommendation on the speakers, amp and sub to get? Is it necessary to change the speakers as DJKOR just add the amp and sub without changing the speakers? Sorry for being a novice in these.. hahaha.. Thanks mate..

I'd change your speakers too, they are the main thing that defines your audio. I'll also offer a bit of assistance with installing if you need it, just gotta get me with some spare time :P For prices along, then WOW is the way to go - if you are looking for somebody to install, definitely go to Autobarn. I've seen/helped do some pretty excellent installs coming from their workshop.

I'd change your speakers too, they are the main thing that defines your audio. I'll also offer a bit of assistance with installing if you need it, just gotta get me with some spare time :P For prices along, then WOW is the way to go - if you are looking for somebody to install, definitely go to Autobarn. I've seen/helped do some pretty excellent installs coming from their workshop.

Wow, i am so thankful for the people in this forum, everyone is so helpful. Way to go, it would be really nice if i get help from you and ELEGNT. Any recommendation which speakers, sub and amp i should go for. Too bad they don't sell Alpine.

mate you get what you pay for. yes pioneer are good and their products will sound good and do the job but something like alpine is a step above again. I have full alpine system (type r speakers and sub matched to correct alpine amps) and IMO you can really tell the difference getting into a car with pioneer hence why i chose this path. Yea sure it is more money but at the end of the day a sound system is something you can put in your next car and the car after that. You buy something top notch now it will last and still sound great in the future in comparison to what may be out then.

at the end of the day you need to look at what your budget is and base your spending accordingly. If pioneer is what fits into your budget, sweet - just do it properly (try not to mix and match) and your system will sound awesome. As long as you are satisfied with your purchase thats what matters.

PM sent dude ill help u out mate....alpine 6X9's are absolutly awsome my mate has them in his SSS so clear....but lots of people diss on the stock speakers i think there alright...there sh|t with bass but with jsut a sub in the back i set the head deck bass to -1 so the speakers can go super loud and clear without distorting and i still get thumping bass from my sub...paint in the A$$ to DIY the 6X9's tho....installation recomended there

Today i went down to Northfield Moorooka, Geez its really nice to see the system over there. The guy Matt help me with some recommendation, as i would like a Small SUB in the boot, below is his recommendation:

Option 1 - Discounted Price $2600 (Before Discount is $2880)

Front Speakers: Focal 165v1 ($419)

Sub Woofer: Image Dynamics ID10v3 in Box ($419)

Amplifiers: Alpine PDX4.100 ($799)

Converter: Audio Control LC6i with Sub Control ($449)

Wiring: DEI 4ga Cable Kit ($249)

Installation ($545)

Option 2 - Discounted Price $2300 (Before Discount is $2610)

Front Speakers: Alpine SPR17s ($349)

Subwoofers: Image Dynamics ID10v3 in Box ($419)

Amplifiers: Audio System F4.260 ($599)

Installation ($545)

I find that the discount given is not that great. And the price is a little steep for me, well i don't know whether i should spend $2600 for a sound system and that doesn't include the head unit. Sigh.

Today i went down to Northfield Moorooka, Geez its really nice to see the system over there. The guy Matt help me with some recommendation, as i would like a Small SUB in the boot, below is his recommendation:

Option 1 - Discounted Price $2600 (Before Discount is $2880)

Front Speakers: Focal 165v1 ($419)

Sub Woofer: Image Dynamics ID10v3 in Box ($419)

Amplifiers: Alpine PDX4.100 ($799)

Installation ($545)

Option 2 - Discounted Price $2300 (Before Discount is $2610)

Front Speakers: Alpine SPR17s ($349)

Subwoofers: Image Dynamics ID10v3 in Box ($419)

Amplifiers: Audio System F4.260 ($599)

Installation ($545)

I find that the discount given is not that great. And the price is a little steep for me, well i don't know whether i should spend $2600 for a sound system and that doesn't include the head unit. Sigh.

If you get an aftermarket head unit, you don't need the Audio Control box ;) If you want to keep the headunit, get a Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty. I think it's roughly the same price, but the options for tuning and much, MUCH greater. Alpine is a "prestige" brand, although not really a prestige speaker (unless you're talking F1 Series). You pay a lot for something that most other companies will do for a lot cheaper. It's the same with Pioneer.

See if you can demo a set of Rockford Punch or even Power series splits, they are an EXCELLENT speaker for their money. Kicker R Series are in the same class, albeit a bit more expensive. The prices on your 4 gauge wire are a bit more than I'd be paying, installation is about average. Amps are also quite expensive for what you're getting.

I was going to PM you back, but I figured I'd just post in here. If you post a budget, I'll do some product/price searching and see if I can make you up a system to fit your budget that should sound great.

Edited by the_random_hero

If you get an aftermarket head unit, you don't need the Audio Control box ;) If you want to keep the headunit, get a Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty. I think it's roughly the same price, but the options for tuning and much, MUCH greater. Alpine is a "prestige" brand, although not really a prestige speaker (unless you're talking F1 Series). You pay a lot for something that most other companies will do for a lot cheaper. It's the same with Pioneer.

See if you can demo a set of Rockford Punch or even Power series splits, they are an EXCELLENT speaker for their money. Kicker R Series are in the same class, albeit a bit more expensive. The prices on your 4 gauge wire are a bit more than I'd be paying, installation is about average. Amps are also quite expensive for what you're getting.

I was going to PM you back, but I figured I'd just post in here. If you post a budget, I'll do some product/price searching and see if I can make you up a system to fit your budget that should sound great.

Thanks for the advise, i guess when i don't know anything about car sound, it is an indication for the sales person to recommend me something which i might not necessary need at a higher price. I am going to WOW with ELEGNT tomorrow, perhaps will settle for some AMP and SUB for much less. Hahhaah, its great to be in this forum, you guys are really helpful in providing me with information and about whether i actually need those expensive items. Cheers mate.

Thanks for the advise, i guess when i don't know anything about car sound, it is an indication for the sales person to recommend me something which i might not necessary need at a higher price. I am going to WOW with ELEGNT tomorrow, perhaps will settle for some AMP and SUB for much less. Hahhaah, its great to be in this forum, you guys are really helpful in providing me with information and about whether i actually need those expensive items. Cheers mate.

WOW is right up the road from Autobarn ;) I'd suggest you head in there as they've got Pioneer and Rockford Fosgate soundboards.