LSD for 2ZZ C64 Transmission

Hi guys

I'm interested in fittting a LSD to my Sportivo. I more into Street use than Track use. What would be my best option? Also can the 2ZZGE Gearbox handle the LSD.

My options are as follows.

1. TRD Mechanical LSD - R 5500

2. Quaife Helical LSD - R 10 500

I am thinking of going with the TRD LSD as it is almost half the price. Also the Mechanic who is going to fit the LSD said that he can adjust the LSD to 40% so that it does not lock up on the bends.

What do you guys suggest?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Helical would not wear your clutch faster compare to mechanical and according to Xoom, is the BEST-EST LSD to get for the Rolla. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quaife comes highly recommended from UK.

Cheers.

:)

hmm... i can smell group buy for LSD!

lol .... ill believe that wen i see it.

Here are 2 topics for you to have a read.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=7444

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=16689

If you go the TRD u will be cracking her open every 2-3 yrs (or sooner depending on ur driving) to change the clutch plates that are in there as they wear much like a clutch does.

For a street driven car u'd wanna go helical ..... now since i havent tried any of the others im just gonna back what ive gone with which is the quaife.

Bill

and finally where to buy quaife :D

Here you go: http://store.monkeywrenchracing.com/index....cPath=42_45_156

Their prices are really good atm. Don't buy the phantom grip!!! It's a 2 way friction LSD, and I wouldn't go putting something like that in a nice car. I have one in my spare TX3 gearbox, but it's an old dunga. :P

Xoom: It says the TRD unit is a helical type, so for a $171USD saving, that would be the next best thing to a Quaife yeah?

Cheers, Gav.

and finally where to buy quaife :D

Here you go: http://store.monkeywrenchracing.com/index....cPath=42_45_156

Their prices are really good atm. Don't buy the phantom grip!!! It's a 2 way friction LSD, and I wouldn't go putting something like that in a nice car. I have one in my spare TX3 gearbox, but it's an old dunga. :P

Xoom: It says the TRD unit is a helical type, so for a $171USD saving, that would be the next best thing to a Quaife yeah?

Cheers, Gav.

The old TRD helical diffs are discontinued. You can only buy clutch pack type TRD LSD's now.

So during the installation of the LSD they have to break the 6th gear?

Depends on if it is broken at the moment. I'm reliably informed that when Toyota put the C6x boxes together they basically smashed 6th on. Some crack in that process others don't, luck of the draw. When my box was pulled apart 6th wasn't broken, but the shop actually has the proper tool for removing 6th from that box.

It says the TRD unit is a helical type

Monkey Wrench sell the Toyota Jap spec MR-S one under the label of TRD. Whether it is the same as a TRD is yet to be proven, but it is a cheap option.

Monkey Wrench sell the Toyota Jap spec MR-S one under the label of TRD. Whether it is the same as a TRD is yet to be proven, but it is a cheap option.

Sounds like a winner. So the JDM ZZW30 MR-S 5 speed manual diff is a torsen LSD that bolts in to ZZE series corollas?

Anyone got a part number?

So during the installation of the LSD they have to break the 6th gear?

Depends on if it is broken at the moment. I'm reliably informed that when Toyota put the C6x boxes together they basically smashed 6th on. Some crack in that process others don't, luck of the draw. When my box was pulled apart 6th wasn't broken, but the shop actually has the proper tool for removing 6th from that box.

Lucky you SD looking that Toyota is mostly about quantity and not quality judging by the difficulty I had with my front brake lines.

On another note, how much are those 6th gear meant to cost? I think Celica one would be the one to go for?

Is there such a thing as a final gear to be replaced?

On another note, how much are those 6th gear meant to cost? I think Celica one would be the one to go for?

Is there such a thing as a final gear to be replaced?

Problem with changing 6th is that you will need two gears, the driven and the idler gear. Never got a quote from Toyota but I'd say they are about $160ea.

Yep, all cars have a final gear. C-One have one for sale, which is made by Kaaz and they too now sell one, both are the same ratio.

Anyone got a part number?

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...st&p=201455 Under 'Other'.

How is the JDM MR-S (So Called TRD) Torsen Helical LSD as compared to the Genuine Mechanical TRD LSD?

The Quaife is definately the Best option but the price is double. Mayb the Torsen Helical LSD might be a cheaper way out?

Any suggestions?

How is the JDM MR-S (So Called TRD) Torsen Helical LSD as compared to the Genuine Mechanical TRD LSD?

The Quaife is definately the Best option but the price is double. Mayb the Torsen Helical LSD might be a cheaper way out?

Any suggestions?

i can't see how the MR-S diff will be any different to the Quaife. The design is under licence from Quaife anyway.

both are good mods, but to put your 'dilema' into context . .

lsd will prob cost around 1k then add about the same again to get it installed.

ces exhaust will cost about 1k, and about $80 dollars to have installed .

both are good mods, but to put your 'dilema' into context . .

lsd will prob cost around 1k then add about the same again to get it installed.

ces exhaust will cost about 1k, and about $80 dollars to have installed .

LSD would cost me more than 1K... they selling from 750 to 999USD on monkey wrench.

Ces indeed would cost cheaper to install but then I need to install flywheel and clutch as well.

Always do the LSD when you're doing the flywheel and clutch. As it cost's $500ish just to drop the gearbox and put it back alone!

TRD helical LSD is about $1100ish on the current exchange rate without adding the bearing kit (which might be cheaper locally).

Gav.

Yeah you are right Gav. Its not often that I change clutch or flywheel so I might as well do it right. Since I can't track as much as I want to, the Toyota LSD might just be good enough. The quaife is just too expensive ><.

LSD it is!

I'll save up for the CES exhaust later.