LSD for 2ZZ C64 Transmission

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you've got the right tools and experience then 6th can be removed without being broken.

Spoken to some, seen some and personally, I would rather budget for the 6th "just in case" as they do not seem sure ............

Don't want the car to be in the shop longer than needed to.

havent been on the forum in a bit with life taking over but good to see things are still in discussion mode :P :P :P :P :P i wonder when they will get to doing mode :P :P :P :P

come on fella's get off ur back sides and get stuck into it .......

ok in the mean time ive claimed another 2zz gear set ..... picked up a celica 6th ..... had it all stripped ...... then crack tested, dressed, cryo treated & shot peened and now its all waiting to get pulled back together & finally dropped back into the rolla .......

come on fella's get some LSD action happening.

• 3 weeks later...

just brought a used mr-s helical unit today as a birthday present to myself :)

will start accumulating the other stuff i need and hopefully find some1 to install it in the next few weeks.

Going to get a new oem replacement clutch, i found the stock clutch offers plenty of grip and is pretty easy on the gearbox during heavy driving.

originally wanted a fidanza lightened flywheel but decided to retain stock flywheel as im concerned about driveability with a lightened unit - unless some1 can convince me that my gf wont have trouble driving the car with a lightened unit . . :)

hopefully it improves the cars cornering performance, will keep you all posted with myprogress.

originally wanted a fidanza lightened flywheel but decided to retain stock flywheel as im concerned about driveability with a lightened unit - unless some1 can convince me that my gf wont have trouble driving the car with a lightened unit . . :)

Just need to give it more gas when you start. Else, everything should be fine.

Kudos for the LSD project!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

help needed!

Called around today and got a price on a 6th gear for the corolla - $430 inc gst. Anyone know a workshop in perth that might have the required gear puller :)?

Ive been doing reading on the US forums, they are suggesting that the speedo drive needs to be replaced. I asked Toyota for a price on the speedo drive and I was told there was no listing for it. Do our cars run an electronic speedo drive from the abs unit or something similar ?

wheres the experts at :)?

the part number is speedometer gear: 33481-20160

I checked with toyota before and its quite expensive. Around $200 NZD for one. From what I read from other forums, you can install the LSD without breaking the 6th gear and you don't need the special equipment that everyone is referring in this forum. There is a particular way of dissembling the transmission. And if your mileage is not high then you can reuse your speedometer gear as well.

I have my LSD lying around and waiting for JUN lightweight flywheel to come with my Xtreme heavy duty clutch. I ordered the LSD install kit from MWR as well and bought 3 Redline MT90 gearbox oil too. This is going to be an expensive modification if you have to buy the 6th gear and the speedometer gear.

I checked with toyota before and its quite expensive. Around $200 NZD for one. From what I read from other forums, you can install the LSD without breaking the 6th gear and you don't need the special equipment that everyone is referring in this forum. There is a particular way of dissembling the transmission. And if your mileage is not high then you can reuse your speedometer gear as well.

I have my LSD lying around and waiting for JUN lightweight flywheel to come with my Xtreme heavy duty clutch. I ordered the LSD install kit from MWR as well and bought 3 Redline MT90 gearbox oil too. This is going to be an expensive modification if you have to buy the 6th gear and the speedometer gear.

Any pics or links to your JUN lightweight flywheel or Xtreme heavy duty clutch ??

Why would you need to change the speedo gear?

Any pics or links to your JUN lightweight flywheel or Xtreme heavy duty clutch ??

Heres the part number of the flywheel 2001M-T025

Its 4.4kg chromoly and only cost me $650 NZD.

the link is http://www.junauto.co.jp/products/drive-tr...l/index.html?en

The xtreme clutch kit is the same one we talked about in the other thread. : D

Cheers. You mean this extreme clutch ???

That's by ACS which is made by Daikin who also makes Exedy that breaks ...........

I would re-consider that ..... But that's me. If you really to, try eBay for 275 + delivery.

from what i have heard, the speedo ring can become damaged while trying ot remove it - just like that 6th gear.

as stated above, i purchased a second hand lsd that appeared to include a speedo drive. Hopefully between that one, and the one in my car i have one thats usable.

on the other hand, i have been quoted $700 to remove and replace the box, would really hate to pay that twice if a $200 speedo ring fks up !

fun times!

Cheers. You mean this extreme clutch ???

That's by ACS which is made by Daikin who also makes Exedy that breaks ...........

I would re-consider that ..... But that's me. If you really to, try eBay for 275 + delivery.

This is the xtreme clutch I am getting. KTY22004HD

http://www.xtremeclutch.com.au/

Its only going to cost me $300 NZD. They break often?

Which ebay one are you referring to?

from what i have heard, the speedo ring can become damaged while trying ot remove it - just like that 6th gear.

as stated above, i purchased a second hand lsd that appeared to include a speedo drive. Hopefully between that one, and the one in my car i have one thats usable.

on the other hand, i have been quoted $700 to remove and replace the box, would really hate to pay that twice if a $200 speedo ring fks up !

fun times!

I remember reading that it is only easy to break if mileage is quite high. Its adding up isn't it?