LSD for 2ZZ C64 Transmission

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these torsen type diffs are designed for mass-production where the car maker wants to offer a little bit better than an open diff for slippery conditions like snow or ice.

I cant give advice on expected like, only report that I've replaced plenty of them, and in cars that are not very old. my IS200 lexus one started its clicking noises at about 40,000km and by 80,000km it was totally rooted

I'll agree they are better than an open diff, and are really ideal for front wheel drive novice drivers who cant deal with the "grab" that a plate type LSD gives. they are very smooth and no LSD "grab"once the throttle is backed off.

if however you want a real LSD, to maximize traction, buy a plate type,. Cusco, KAAZ or TRD.

I guess the good news is two celica owners confirmed the plate type TRD LSD is fine for the streets. But I do not know how long plate type LSD last, but seems like all it requires is regular LSD fluid change and should last a long time if it doesn't see extreme track days usage.

But there is always Quiafe Helical LSD which probably is the best option with a premium price.

I wouldn't say that Dan

There is a guy here with a KAAZ LSD in his AW11 that puts down 140kw (AE101 GZE with a few other goodies)

He has run the car on the track heaps in the last 3 years since he installed it, and he doesn't hold back either (1:03 around Wakefield Park)

The thing holds up well, just need to have the oil replaced as you would any other gear oil, the only difference was that he has been recommended to use only the KAAZ LSD oil which can be a pain to get at times, but it is still cheaper than Redline...

Mind you it is an E-series box rather than a C-series...

Hey if it last a very long time then it's a sure win man. The last thing I want is weak diff coz the thing is very expensive to buy and install.

So, looks like Clutch type LSD could be the only way to go then. I guess I won't truly know how TRD Clutch 1.5way feels like on Celica until I actualy have one. But everyone told me the clutch lsd will outperform helical anyday.

And if the TRD clutch LSD drives fine and smooth on the street as I was told, then no point buying the Toyota Helical LSD.

the trick with 1.5way diffs is getting the correct ramp angle internally, so they dont drop off with a bang and you have a mid-corner panic attack. The older TRD difffs had 2 different ramp angle settings to choose from, so you can dismantle them and adjust the feel.

You cant do this with KAAZ or CUSCO LSD's I've seen. you just have to hope they have chosen what you can drive with.

I have a TRD diff in my Corolla race car and its been bashed around the track for years with no great hassles, but the MR2 non-turbo one, which is the same size as the ZZE celica, has totally died after only a few race seasons. ON a street car, they will last years if you change the oil regularly and use correct oil for plate type diffs.

be aware however, the cost of fitting these diffs is high, so taking them in and out to adjust them is not for the faint-hearted.

anyone needing technical help or work performing can contact me at work. www.roadandtrack.net.au. we have 6 speed boxes all rebuilt an available on an exchange basis

we broke a TRD LSD in our powerful rally car, and it has since been replaced with the KAAZ type and it is much better. Matched with the short ratio box and final drive its a magical car to drive now.

We managed to fix the TRD one and are now using it in our less powerful rally car. Its holding up ok.