TRD: Accidently Put 95 Octane instead of 98

Bye Bye TRD

Would it effect the engine in any way.

I got a bit scared and drove it very gently n guess what..... I GOT 100 KM extra for the tank..... Can't believe tht :)

Anyways m back to 98 again. I was wondering if the 100KM extra was bcz of my driving or could there be any other reason.

Definately the way you drove. :D

They are not tuned for 95 octane......one blast on the pedal and it could have been, bye bye engine....

Personally, i would have drained the tank and used it in the lawn mower.

.....one blast on the pedal and it could have been, bye bye engine....

Bit of an over-dramatic response there. If anything, if you tried to push it hard enough, you would just get more knocking than usual in which the knock sensors would detect and adjust the engine parameters accordingly... resulting in less power output from the engine.

For the original question, if you couldn't empty your tank or empty it enough to pump in some higher octane fuel to mix it, or add a bottle of octane booster, then you just need to drive it easy to avoid knocking at higher throttle positions.

subaru's pop more often than not by people upping the boost without supporting fueling mods and leaning out cylinder 3. Their knock sensor setup is more than capable of dealing with a tank of 95.

Your TRD would be fine with 95, it would pull all the timing advance out and run like a dog until you got decent fuel into it.

it would pull all the timing advance out and run like a dog until you got decent fuel into it.

LOL, it would run similar in fashion to my car XD :P

Just be sure to refill with 98 all the time... on of the disadvantages of having an sc'ed rolla :(

Evo

as people have said... its not gonna damage anything... the ecu is way too smart for that... ;)

and the 100kms difference is DEFFINITELY due to the new way of driving...

now that my job is about 60-70kms away from my house and its all freeway driving, my fuel economy is so good, im actually wondering if there is a problem... :lol:

i get HUGE differences between cruising and hooning...

100% freeway driving = 8ltr/100km

50/50 freeway/city driving = 12ltr/100km

100% city driving = 18ltrs/100km

:lol:

as people have said... its not gonna damage anything... the ecu is way too smart for that... ;)

and the 100kms difference is DEFFINITELY due to the new way of driving...

now that my job is about 60-70kms away from my house and its all freeway driving, my fuel economy is so good, im actually wondering if there is a problem... :lol:

i get HUGE differences between cruising and hooning...

100% freeway driving = 8ltr/100km

50/50 freeway/city driving = 12ltr/100km

100% city driving = 18ltrs/100km

:lol:

thats just your big left foot!

as others have said, running 95 octane may cause knock, causing the ecu to pull timing to stop the knocking, making it run like a*se, but not pop.

if you have a modified car tuned for 98 octane, or a car designed to run on it, but with no knock sensor or way to pull timing with the different fuel, thats when you will pop motors.

I've done it before too, no problems whatsoever. Just fill up with 98 the next time round. Car may run with a little less power that's it.

If you really want to feel better, put a bottle of octane booster in.

Come on, it's a Toyota! :lol:

Edited by Supercharged TRD

people underestimate the smarts of the ecu.

my import legacy came thru new zealand which the previous owner run it on 91ron when it supposed tuned for the japanese domestic market of 100ron and it never pinged when i became the new owner.

ecus learn... they is smarts

there's no way 95 octane can cause turbo damage on a WRX, more likely it was old and flogged out due to poor oil choice and infreqent changes. A new TD04L is only $1250-1400, then $600ish to fit, your friend got ripped off.

Edited by CHA54