Lowering

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if u want just 2' drop, u can use Koni yellow and it will last.

If you want to be a low-rider like I am, then u need coilover.

2" should be enough. I'm fitting 18's before the drop, a quick measure up after fitting the rims will confirm if I need to go lower.

I love the lowrider look but I need the car the be practical. I travel long didstances at time and need a compliant ride, i've had rough bouncy cars so this time round i'm looking to maintain the stock ride quality as much as possible.

I thought I in other posts that many users have experienced little or no issue with the stock shocks if they lower 35mm or less.

Is this not the case?

I guess what I am trying to work out is if I lower on kings and then find shortly after that I have to replace the shocks I would have rathered fork out for decent coil overs to start with.

Alternateivly, if lowering on a better spring (eibachs etc) stops the need for shock replacement then obviously I would rather spend the extra money on those upfront.

I understand some people concentrate on getting the desired effect for the lowest price but i'm more concerned with having to pull the car apart and change parts all the time. I'd prefer the job to be done once and done properly.

Any input would be appreciated!

there isn't a spec time on how long ur stock shocks lasts but i'd say atleast 2years. depends also on how much you drive and how you drive and what roads you drive on.

I have King Lows and Koni adjustables = excellent result and not too $$$$.

Lowering your car with the same shocks does not mean it will neccesarily wear your standard shocks out. However, most after market springs used when lowering are anywhere from 25% + stiffer than stock. It is this that will cause your shocks premature wear. If you can find short springs with identical rates to your standard ones, your car will ride lower in the shocks stroke but the dampening required will not change.

Worse than wear, the handling will be poor - even dangerous. Non adjustable shocks have their internal dampening circuits matched to the spring rate of the vehicle. Up the spring rate and the shock cannot cope with the added force required to controll shock rebound.

Before putting on the Konis, I ran the Kings on their own with the stock shocks - the result was bad performance and if pushed in a chopped out corner - dangerous.

My advice is that to do springs without shocks is a waste of money and while it may appeal as far as looks go, will a) mean you will pay for labour twice when you end up replacing the shocks anyway and B) affect your performance badly.

Save your money till you can do a propper job. Bang for $$ - Koni adjustables and King Lows are hard to beat.

I have King Lows and Koni adjustables = excellent result and not too $$$$.

Lowering your car with the same shocks does not mean it will neccesarily wear your standard shocks out. However, most after market springs used when lowering are anywhere from 25% + stiffer than stock. It is this that will cause your shocks premature wear. If you can find short springs with identical rates to your standard ones, your car will ride lower in the shocks stroke but the dampening required will not change.

Worse than wear, the handling will be poor - even dangerous. Non adjustable shocks have their internal dampening circuits matched to the spring rate of the vehicle. Up the spring rate and the shock cannot cope with the added force required to controll shock rebound.

Before putting on the Konis, I ran the Kings on their own with the stock shocks - the result was bad performance and if pushed in a chopped out corner - dangerous.

My advice is that to do springs without shocks is a waste of money and while it may appeal as far as looks go, will a) mean you will pay for labour twice when you end up replacing the shocks anyway and B) affect your performance badly.

Save your money till you can do a propper job. Bang for $$ - Koni adjustables and King Lows are hard to beat.

very true, Koni last very long also

Eibach's propaganda states that they are designed to be used with the stock shockers.

This is the reason I went with them, and not cheaper Kings or whatever. Well that, and they're German (almost Viking).

Shocks will eventually die, like it or not. its just that like someone already mentioned here, if you use low springs, u allow that to happen faster.

And it depends on how you drive your car also. Do you slow down on speed hump, or just because your ground clearance is high you just went through it like 4wd? its a wear and tear for suspension, same like tyres.

So the rule of thumb is, when u lower your car, take care of your shocks.

king lows and koni adjs. (yellow)

eibach and koni adjs. (yellow)

both great combos n doesnt hit ur hip pocket that hard either  :D

or go Whiteline and Koni adjs. (yellow), like Dave's Stivo. That's where i am heading.

A question though, how would you know what level to adjust on the Yellow Konis? I had it on a Civic before and i remember setting it to almost full stiffness, the car handled like a go-cart but also bounced around everywhere.

That's the advantage of progressive springs, like the Teins  ;)

are you saying progressive is when the faster you go the springs get stiffer?

Ummm, how do u check if its leaking? I've been riding on ghetto drop for almost 2 years now and I cannot see any leaking.

leaking is when the stuff dripping out over the struts

That's the advantage of progressive springs, like the Teins  ;)

are you saying progressive is when the faster you go the springs get stiffer?

Marcus a progressive spring is one that is designed with different 'zones' of differing spring rates. I notice Tein has 2 designs, one that is straight (no variation in spring rate and the coils are all the same distance) and 1 (the one Mark and I have) that has 2 section one stiff and one soft (and the coils are close together) this has the advantage that when the shocks are off load ie. one wheel about to normally go off the ground, the softer zone extends more to keep all 4 wheels on the ground. At the same time when a load is on the spings the stiffer section does all the work and the soft area becomes bunched together so as not to produce any bounce.

or go Whiteline and Koni adjs. (yellow), like Dave's Stivo. That's where i am heading.

A question though, how would you know what level to adjust on the Yellow Konis? I had it on a Civic before and i remember setting it to almost full stiffness, the car handled like a go-cart but also bounced around everywhere.

when u get the koni's.....it comes with a lil knob

u place this knob over ur strut n turn it left or right depending on whether u want softer or firmer (from memory....right is firmer and left is softer)

NOTE: word of warning.....dont over tighten ur struts or it will damage them....u will know when to stop turning! when u feel u cant tighten n e more with out applying a lot of force than that is when to stop

Sorry Weiwei i don't think i phrased my question right, what i mean is how do we know what setting suits the spring rate since people combine the Konis with springs from different manufacturers and i assume the spring rates are different. I am guessing it will have to be trial and error and just take the car for a hard drive or go to the track to test it out? :huh:

Z

when u get the koni's.....it comes with a lil knob

u place this knob over ur strut n turn it left or right depending on whether u want softer or firmer (from memory....right is firmer and left is softer)

NOTE: word of warning.....dont over tighten ur struts or it will damage them....u will know when to stop turning! when u feel u cant tighten n e more with out applying a lot of force than that is when to stop

What are the adj. konis worth???The reason im asking is that my old car i had the eibachs and they worked terrific with the stock shockers, but they didnt lower the car a hell of a lot.

Koni don't drop the car mate and eibach is not going to lower your car that much. You'll need a coilover if you want a hell of a lot.

What are the adj. konis worth???The reason im asking is that my old car i had the eibachs and they worked terrific with the stock shockers, but they didnt lower the car a hell of a lot.

How much did the eibachs drop the car by?

• 2 weeks later...