Steve's Aurion ZR6

Steven

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your special rear ones right?

Nope, just a mod to make the fronts more efficient - After Mt Glorious the other day I've decided the current brakes are good but could use a small tweak to make them even better. The rears I've put off as they aren't in any way urgent

Here's another front bumper shot, which should make things a bit clearer

post-13080-0-99659400-1320311991_thumb.j

Lower Grill is done and back on the car. Had to reuse my old sportivo grill until I can get it finished as well.

This mesh is custom made - the lower sections alone took me several hours until I had them looking right.

Also working on a little tid bit for the CF center console akin to the TRD Build plate

post-13080-0-45847600-1320561852_thumb.j

Got the upper grill done but need some decent light for the pictures to turn out, maybe tomorrow.

I've decided to rip the CF off the interior door handles, it looks a little to overdone with it there. Instead I'll be sanding them back and painting them silver akin to the Prodigy

post-13080-0-29881500-1321002279_thumb.j

Grill was done by getting a sheet of perforated aluminium and drilling/countersinking/polishing every hole out larger and more rounded. Took AGES

Working on a new piece for the centre console, plan is to have "AURION" or other wording on it in black text once I settle on a way of doing it. Ignore the poor fitment, here I used a small dab of double sided tape to hold it up for photos, the final result will use 2 stainless screws in the holes to hold it in place. Opinions?

post-13080-0-78987000-1321076046_thumb.j

post-13080-0-44923500-1321076053_thumb.j

Very neat, love that too. Maybe "Aurion" in frosted vinyl or get a reverse "Aurion" cut from vinyl and spray frosting onto it, like a light etched look? Be good if you had a bespoke or custom name to go before it, as it is bespoke and individual... needs to be a really nice looking word too...

Cheers for the photoshops, I really like that style. Probably a clear vinyl overlay from a printer would be the way to go as etching doesn't seem to be possible.

I prefer the second one, now I just need to figure out what wording to have

EDIT

Actually AURION Bespoke is growing on me. Anyone else want to chip in with a suggestion? Was considering AURION Harrier (in the above style) due to the emblems but it feels a bit wrong to make to much reference to another car it doesn't really share anything in common with (besides the engine)

Yeah i actually like the "Aurion Bespoke" I just typed it in and played with it, and it looks quite sw@nky!

May i suggest get the outline cut from the Carbon film your using, or a dark grey to suit.

They do do a few "etched" vinyls, just need to find a bigger sign shop, or window glazing/tinting place. They should stock it. It usually comes in 2 or 3 opacities if thats a word??!

Rustoleum do an etched spray can... http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=106

Krylon too: http://www.krylon.com/products/frosted_glass_finish/

I would say Spotlight or a larger craft store should stock it or be able to order it. These are made for glass, so not sure how they would perform.

"Bespoke" font is Sleepy Hollow 3.0

I tried painting through a template on another piece of aluminium I had here but the result wasn't ideal. I think getting a shop to make a custom vinyl sticker etc would be the way to go

tried my hand at modding the back door handle to better match the CF strip. It's hard to make out unless viewed in person, but the back half of the door handle (behind the silver panel) is now CF as well, to help it blend in better with the strip.

post-13080-0-39518800-1321490243_thumb.j

Iphone has a nasty habit of suffering glare when their is a contrast in light levels. I need to turn off the courtesy light just to prevent the picture from being mostly white light.

Only seems to work okay out in real sunlight.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here I've drawn the true outline in Red, and the rough centre of each pipe (to give an idea of flow) in blue.

As you can see, the join is nearly spot on 45 degrees. Although it's not as sharp as what can be done by creating a whole new Y-piece, I do believe it will none-the-less function better than the unmodified Y-piece and for a cost of some bolts ($11 from Toyota, will pickup on Wednesday morning and install on Thursday) I'm hoping it will be worth the effort.

BTW to any experienced welders, don't slag me off for the huge weld buildup at the join :o

This pipe looks good. But is there any point doing this mod is there any gain?