Steve's Aurion ZR6

Steven

Dangerous goods though.

Which makes postage a bitch <_<

Was $40 for postage. so around $80 for 4 cans and postage compared to $128 if you buy 4 cans local.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Been experimenting with some matt black vinyl today. Pretty happy with the appearance but not when viewed up close. To this end I think I will remove the vinyl at a later date and get the roof professionally resprayed in that color.

Have also decided the wheels need a respray in a matt black as well, but that will have to wait until I get the back brakes replaced.

Also tinting the taillights this weekend, pics up when finished.

post-13080-0-33444900-1319251520_thumb.j

post-13080-0-98416900-1319251529_thumb.j

And here is the driver's side taillights tinted as opposed to the untinted passenger side. As you can see I've only tinted the reverse light section in a 2-tone effect to keep things legal.

I'm very happy with the look of both the roof and the tail lights, however the up close appearance due to imperfect fitment on the vinyl and tiny air bubbles (which I cant get out for some reason) has me thinking the vinyl will be coming off VERY soon, but at least I know now exactly how I want it when presented to the panel shop.

I'm going to give the roof a few days to see if the air bubbles work there way out but frankly I don't see how they can. Further the vinyl isn't sticky enough to stay down around the edges without something holding it down (seals etc).

Disappointing, but the exercise was worth it and was relatively cheap enough.

post-13080-0-67284600-1319260935_thumb.j

Whoops, seems when I did the driver's side tail light I put the vinyl on the wrong way around, meaning the sticky side was facing out. Didn't realise it had a plastic protector on both sides.

Redid the driver's side and found it actually came out alright. Not perfect still a few bubbles but with some more experience I tackled the passenger side and got a much better result.

I've decided to leave the tail lights tinted with this film for a bit longer due to how they now look. Sorry for the dodgy pic but I couldn't be stuffed driving the car out again.

Also I've started on the chrome strips that follow the roof line. Driver's side done and I'm very happy with the result.

post-13080-0-19645100-1319268122_thumb.j

post-13080-0-40869200-1319276206_thumb.j

Nice touch on the tailights,seems to match the whole darkish theme you got going :D

look forward to some better pics of the roof,from what i can see it looks puuuurty good.

Cheers

Lee

Vinyl came off the roof this morning - I lifted a small section to investigate why it was bubbling and found it was due to my method of using a soapy solution when applying it so I can move it as necessary. As a result it had dozens of mini 'splotches' where the soap has removed the vinyl's sticking backing.

It could be redone and have a really good result if soap wasn't used, but that would make it virtually impossible to install solo.

Still got the door chrome strips and the taillights done

I havent seen too many goldies. Looks really nice imo. when u re do the roof get your rims done to match. dont agree that the discs make the wheels look too small...

I cant really tell cause im using a phone to view the pics, reckon gold calipers with black rims would look sweet!

Very nice Steven

Vinyl came off the roof this morning - I lifted a small section to investigate why it was bubbling and found it was due to my method of using a soapy solution when applying it so I can move it as necessary. As a result it had dozens of mini 'splotches' where the soap has removed the vinyl's sticking backing.

It could be redone and have a really good result if soap wasn't used, but that would make it virtually impossible to install solo.

Love those fine touches, shame about the roof though, will Andrew have the same problem or did you do it differently?

I did do Andrew's a bit differently and used a different spray when applying it. We also used 3M vinyl which seemed much better quality then this other stuff.

Andrew told me just the other day that his is bubble free so the proof is in the pudding.

Ah excellent,been thinking about doing it too, at least now you know what it would look like,painting would be nicer but a harder decision,being long term and all, unless your long list of skills includes spray painter...

Have got the centre console almost finished. A few small issues to work out but otherwise the clearance issues have been mostly sorted.

Sorry for the grainy pics.

post-13080-0-24211100-1320137952_thumb.j

post-13080-0-48302300-1320137959_thumb.j

would it be possible to layer them before applying it to the interior pieces?

looks great though! :)

It has to be done per layer to ensure there are no trapped air bubbles. Plus using heat ensures the top layer forms to the CF properly.

fair enough.

to be honest, i'm surprised that no one sells the CF look like what you've achieved.

does the sheets come in white CF?

I've seen white CF available around on Ebay etc. No idea how it would actually look though