New Tyres or Rims?

Hi all, after 38000 km the stock Dunlop 300E's on the Aurion are pretty much shot. Around the edges it is balded (due to approx 30 corners during a 15 min drive to and from work each day!), and just accelerating through an intersection usually involves traction control turning on constantly.

Before anyone says "do a search" though, I have been doing this - but one question I couldn't find an answer to... a "balanced" tyre that has all of the following:

- At least 40,000km lifespan

- Good cornering ability

- Quiet and comfortable

From reading through a number of posts, it seems that the Yokohama C-Drive might be an option, as could the Bridgestone Potenza. Another couple of options could be the Marangoni Verso and Hankook Ventus - both of which seem to have a lifetime warranty against irrepairable punctures too, unlike the others.

The biggest constraint however seems to be that there is very limited range of tyres for the stock alloy 215/60 R16's on the Aurion Touring SE. What advantages are there going to a new set of rims? I don't want to get anything too big though due to the poor ride quality (it is a family car after all!), and of course becoming a target for thieves as I park at a station every day.

I'm interested in hearing how they compare to the stock setup, as really - I don't have anything else to compare against!

Any recommendations?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sound like you're after what I was after last week.

I would've bought the C Drives, but found some Falkan 26912 in 215/60/16 for my Aurion for $135.

Bob Jane had a sale last week and something that was recommended was still a little more expensive than the Falkans..

Time will tell on the mileage, but the worst comment I found re: the Falkan's was they were terrible in the snow! That's not a problem for me!

I share your concerns re: theft of wheels with something other than stock, but also the increased price over the 16" sizes.

How often did you rotate the tyres front to rear?

Edited by boxerboy

i ended up getting the 17x7 kappas which are sposed to be for the corollas. they do work thou and i didnt notice any deccrease in ride comfort from 16 going to 17's. if anything the change to 17s matched with the bridgestone adrenalins increaased ride comfort and lowered noise, all while increasing grip! :P

im sure if your on stock suspension even the 18inch kappas will be fine

Usually you have to make a slight tradeoff when you want to satisfy many areas. Softer compound tires are generally quieter and comfortable on the road and also tend to be grippier. Only thing is, they don't have the greatest lifespan. A long lasting tire however tends to be a harder compound and you sacrifice some grip and they tend to be a bit noisier on the road.

Personally, for your requirements, I would avoid the Potenza Adrenalins. They are a good tire, but you only really get the most out of them once you get some heat into them and give them some work to do. Otherwise, it's just extra money down the drain. And come to think about it... they are a little over-rated.

As well, I'm not a fan of Yokohama's. Not saying I don't like them, but for getting good life out of them, they don't quite satisfy. They do have excellent grip, but don't expect much life out of them. Yokohama's in general are a rather soft tire, and even the tire shop said to expect like 25,000km out of them (for my S.Drives).

As for getting new wheels, if finding tires for your current wheels is a bit difficult, then getting a set of 17's may make it a little easier. Only thing to remember though is that price tends to go up for tires in increasing sizes, so it may not work out as economic as expected.

You can try using 225/55R16 tires as well as these should be a bit easier to find and may be more cost efficient than 215/60R16. I have heard good things about Kumho KU37's in terms of comfort/noise and wear. These come in a 225/55R16 size with a RRP of around $200, so they work out to be decent value.

You sound like you're after what I was after last week.

I would've bought the C Drives, but found some Falkan 26912 in 215/60/16 for my Aurion for $135.

Bob Jane had a sale last week and something that was recommended was still a little more expensive than the Falkans..

Time will tell on the mileage, but the worst comment I found re: the Falkan's was they were terrible in the snow! That's not a problem for me!

I share your concerns re: theft of wheels with something other than stock, but also the increased price over the 16" sizes.

How often did you rotate the tyres front to rear?

Snow isn't a problem with me either - as I would be using chains in the snow regardless ;D

I have the tyres rotated every 10000km, but for some strange reason the ones currently on the front seem to have worn far more than the back ones. Maybe a slightly different quality compound or something?

i ended up getting the 17x7 kappas which are sposed to be for the corollas.

I might have to take a look at the 17" Kappas... how much did they set you back? Any pics?

Before anyone says "do a search" though, I have been doing this - but one question I couldn't find an answer to... a "balanced" tyre that has all of the following:

- Good cornering ability

- Quiet and comfortable

The Potenza Adrenaline fits 2 out of 3 of these criteria. Unless you drive really gently you won't get anywhere near 40,000km to them. My last set lasted just over the 17,000km mark with regular rotation and correct alignment and balance on my stock 17s. Then again, Townsville roads are rough and my driving isn't the most passive.

You can try using 225/55R16 tires as well as these should be a bit easier to find and may be more cost efficient than 215/60R16. I have heard good things about Kumho KU37's in terms of comfort/noise and wear. These come in a 225/55R16 size with a RRP of around $200, so they work out to be decent value.

I read a few threads on the KU37's, but they seemed to have a slightly mixed bag review? What effect would going from 215/60 R16 to 225/55 R16 cause in terms of speedo calibration, handling etc?

I read a few threads on the KU37's, but they seemed to have a slightly mixed bag review?

Most tires do. Depends on how they are driven. I'm just going by what a couple of mates have said.

What effect would going from 215/60 R16 to 225/55 R16 cause in terms of speedo calibration, handling etc?

The 225's will be 1.57% smaller in diametre. This will result in your speedo reading 1.584% faster than it would be with 215's. Usually though, your speedo is off by a few percent in the first place, so this just brings it up that little bit closer to accurate.

In terms of drivability... you won't even notice it. When I upsized my tires from 215/55R17 to 225/50R17, the difference was 1.75% smaller and didn't even feel a difference.

... is there any advantage going with the tyres that have directional treads?

In general, they tend to have better water dispersion properties which makes them safer in the wet. They can also give better stopping ability. Just habe to make sure you only do same side front to rear and vice versa tire rotations.

Has anyone tried the Dunlop SP Sport Fastresponse? I read many reviews and they say the Dunlops are good tyres.

I'm deciding which tyres to get for my Aurion.

It's either yokohama C.Drive, Bridgeston Adrenalins or Dunlop Fastresponse.

Edited by Hamster

Looking into the Kumho's... is there any advantage going with the tyres that have directional treads?

Have a look at this thread, I got the Kumho KU27s and have had nothing but good experiences with them. They wont corner as well as some of the others suggested in here (around as well as the stock tyres) but will last 50-60,000ks and are quiet.

I got more than 50Ks of my Adrenalins 225/60/16 could not be happier. Dunlop 215/60/16 hardly lasted 30K, they were completely not roadworthy at the end. Andrenalis still had little tread left. I tend to drive hard in mountains on weekends, but everyday drive is 90% highway. Got mine for ~$169 fitted from seller on Ebay(melbourne). I considered RE050, but ended up with Adrenalins again. not sure about noise, the same as dunlops or very close. But in perfomance so much difference! Dont go with 215, they just wrong for Aurion. All that wheel spin, bad cornering, tyres will not last in 215 size. Also Adrenalins made in Australia which is better then spend money on Korea.

very good web site for tyres is http://www.tirerack.com, which is US web site and very respectable. And if you have a look at survey for Ultra high perfomance summer tyres(which is ideal for Australia), 1 rank is Potenza RE760 Sport, which is Adrenalins RE001 in Australia.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP

Edited by avstral

the stock Dunlop (SP Sport 300E 215/60R16) did 14,000km on the front before it reached the indicator

probably could do 18,000km if I wanted to

replaced the front with Adrenalin same dimensions last year

threads moved like 1 mm after 11,000km, again this is the front

this year I had a puncture (off a big blunt nail) on one of the back ones

rotated front to back and added two more Adrenalins

soft tires might not have good mileage but comfort is not over-rated

just want to go home comfortably after work

its cheap too

$155 last year and $164 this year

Yokohama C.Drive are ~$200 for 205/55/R16 (currently using on the Camry)

Michelin Energy are ~$230 for 205/55/R16 (had it on the Camry before)

it seems to be quieter than the Dunlop but probably just my head

asked Bridgestone about larger and wider but prices were steep

would they last longer though?

Edited by tekkyy

watching this thread with interest... i need new tyres for my stock sportivo rims. NO IDEA what to put on them. I want performance, but i want them to last a bit too. Suggestions welcome!

One of the following 3 tyres will be on my Aurion soon and i'm still deciding which one to get. I'm leaning towards the Yokohama or Dunlop but am still thinking. These prices are the cheapest i know for the 3 at 215/60R16

Yokohama C.Drive - $164

Dunlop SP Sport Fastresponse - $159

Bridgestone Adrenalin RE001 - $150

Edited by Hamster

It is certainly not a simple task choosing tyres for an Aurion... having so much power brings with it so much responsibility to choose the right tyres!

I have been trying to find time to finish work earlier and check out some of the shops, but just hasn't been happening. I am interested in the Yokahoma C-drive and Kuhmo KU27 or 37, depending on the price. They seem to be almost identical, but the 37 seems to have a tread pattern that looks like it would handle the wet a bit better.

Anyone had much experience with anything from Toyo?

On a side note, I wonder if we should make a sticky regarding tyres other users have experienced on the Aurions, and the pros and cons of each? It seems we have all asked the same question at some time or another...

On a side note, I wonder if we should make a sticky regarding tyres other users have experienced on the Aurions, and the pros and cons of each? It seems we have all asked the same question at some time or another...

The idea is not a bad one, however when it comes to tires, there are so many variables when it comes to personal reviews especially when based on an individual's needs, budget, and driving style.

For example, David (SupaTouring) was quite satisfied with the Dunlop Sport Maxx that comes stock with the TRD. We've pushed our TRD's equally as hard, but in my own opinion, I find the Dunlop Sports Maxx to be really sh**.

Unless someone has individually tested multiple tire types/brands/designs, then comparing one persons review to another doesn't give substantial comparison as to which would be more suitable for another person.

Unless someone has individually tested multiple tire types/brands/designs, then comparing one persons review to another doesn't give substantial comparison as to which would be more suitable for another person.

yeah meets and offlines would be so useful for that

daryl, thats cause dave is soft compared to you... :lol:

id be interested to see what you think of these pirelli pzero neros though... next week, take my car for a drive and see what you think... :D

Hi all, after 38000 km the stock Dunlop 300E's on the Aurion are pretty much shot. Around the edges it is balded (due to approx 30 corners during a 15 min drive to and from work each day!), and just accelerating through an intersection usually involves traction control turning on constantly.

- Good cornering ability

- Quiet and comfortable

From reading through a number of posts, it seems that the Yokohama C-Drive might be an option, as could the Bridgestone Potenza. Another couple of options could be the Marangoni Verso and Hankook Ventus - both of which seem to have a lifetime warranty against irrepairable punctures too, unlike the others.

The biggest constraint however seems to be that there is very limited range of tyres for the stock alloy 215/60 R16's on the Aurion Touring SE. What advantages are there going to a new set of rims? I don't want to get anything too big though due to the poor ride quality (it is a family car after all!), and of course becoming a target for thieves as I park at a station every day.

I'm interested in hearing how they compare to the stock setup, as really - I don't have anything else to compare against!

Any recommendations?

I think dunlops has a good quality. Most of the people are using this type of rims and tyres. I will recommend you to use it.

So far from the few places I have had time to check out, it seems that 18s have the greatest range and would probably look quite good on the Aurion, but I think the 17s are maybe a little more comfortable and cheaper.

Many of the tyre places seem to recommend Pirelli for the Aurions interestingly, but I'm not really sure - how would they compare to the Kumho KU27 or KU37? The P6 from memory was the one recommended, on a set of 18s. Any particular brands and styles that anybody could recommended that have a relatively subtle appearance? I don't want to draw too much attention, as I park in a station most days.

Thanks!

I've decided I'm not going to go for rims, mostly since I am considering relocating overseas sometime in the very near future. So given that, I'm back to looking for 215/60 R16 tyres and not upgrading rims. I've narrowed it down to:

- Yokohama C-drive (99V)

- Pirelli P7 (99V)

- Dunlop 300E (95V)

- Marangoni Verso (99W)

- Bridgestone Potenza RE001 or GR-90 (95V)

I am starting to lean towards the Yokohama C drive at the moment, as it seems to have a fairly good blend between handling, comfort and wear. I would however still consider getting the 300E's again, despite the wear rate as they really do grip very well for an OEM tyre. The Pirelli, Marangoni and GR-90 I am not sure about, but were recommended by a few of the tyre shops. DJKOR mentioned the Potenza is fast wearing, but depending on how it compares to the 300E, I might still consider it...

Any recommendations? I'd like to book the car in before the end of the week, as the sudden wet weather the other day made me realise how bad the traction with the worn tyres really is...

Thanks all!