Got a new Hybrid Camry!

pinzvidz

Well boys and girls, after a 3 year stint in a VW (terrific MkV Golf GTI), we've decided to make a return to Toyota, after having a lovely little ZZE122R Ultima hatch prior to the Golf.

The wife picked up her new Hybrid Camry on Saturday. Base with factory navigation and grege (two tone) interior. Only accessories fitted are colour matched mats and a rear spoiler, which I fitted up today. Down the track it'll get HIDs, a VAIS Tech VML USB/HDD module for the factory audio, and Touring/Sportivo 17s.

The car is a brilliant drive, IMO much better than a petrol only Camry. The guys at Altona have done an awesome job with the R&D on this car. There's so much sound deadening in the car, everywhere you look. It's incredibly quiet. And underneath it looks like an F1 car with a lot of aerodynamic covers. The suspension feels like a Sportivo, very firm but maybe a little softer, but still very solid and rigid.

Coming from a Golf GTI, I wasn't expecting blistering performance from the Hybrid. However, it does go surprisingly well for a fuel efficient car. The official 0-100 km/h time seems conservative (8.9 seconds). It definitely feels like it has similar acceleration to an Aurion. Don't believe me, have a look on YT at some of the 0-60mph vids of US Hybrid Camrys, you'll be surprised.

Best thing about this car, we got it on finance with Toyota at 1.49%! They are advertising 2.9% on TV atm, but that's business. Consumer gets 1.49%!

So overall, very happy with the car.

Pics of car after it first arrived at the dealership off the truck.

25052010020.jpg

25052010022.jpg

25052010021.jpg

More pics to come.

Edited by pinzvidz

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice, be sure to post some pictures of it :D

I actually had a drunken ride in a hybrid camry taxi, and from memory it was quite quick... :)

Congrats on the purchase!! I've driven the Hybrid Camry a couple of times at work and it is a beautiful car :D Be sure to keep us up to date with plenty of pictures :)

Gratz!

What's there not to love about this ride? Gotta love the smell and the look of a new car. God how I missed those days.. :(

Liking the front look already.. Looks tough.. :spiteful:

Congrats on the buy, they truly are a great car i was very impressed after my couple of drives in them MUCH better to drive than normal Camry (sorry Tash lol) much prefer them to the prius too. They go and corner fair better and looks pretty trick too you’ve made a great choice and as for their performance they do get up and go pretty well just driving around town i found it (& mentioned it) to be a pretty similar experience to my car in the effortlessness in getting up to speed, just can’t quite stay with the Aurion in the high top even though when you get serious but still a damm fine drive. Wheels or motor recently ran 0-100 in 8.4-8.5 which not only better than the factory claim but is also faster than a "environmentally" friendly SIDI 3.0V6 Commodore.. Or on par with the old 3.0 V6 MCV36 Camry manual.

Thanks everyone. Yeah I think we're gonna very happy with this car for years to come!

Can you show us a pic of the boot open , Id like to see how much space the batteries take up.

Will do on the w/end. The HV battery mainly takes up the space between the wheel arches, so it doesn't eat too much into the boot area.

i built that car :P

i can show you ALL the defects etc in 3mins :)..

just jk.

i can assure you that when the hybrid comes, it gets the most attention than the camry and aurions. theres more parts added onto the hybrid, so its understandable when the line has to stop for the hybrid. lately we been building them non-stop, so expect to see more on the road soon.

Congrats on the buy, they truly are a great car i was very impressed after my couple of drives in them MUCH better to drive than normal Camry (sorry Tash lol) much prefer them to the prius too. They go and corner fair better and looks pretty trick too you’ve made a great choice and as for their performance they do get up and go pretty well just driving around town i found it (& mentioned it) to be a pretty similar experience to my car in the effortlessness in getting up to speed, just can’t quite stay with the Aurion in the high top even though when you get serious but still a damm fine drive. Wheels or motor recently ran 0-100 in 8.4-8.5 which not only better than the factory claim but is also faster than a "environmentally" friendly SIDI 3.0V6 Commodore.. Or on par with the old 3.0 V6 MCV36 Camry manual.

Hahahaha - you'd wanna be sorry :lol: Nah, they are a beautiful car and if I wasn't in a manual I'd be in one of these :D Too attached to my manual now heheh But you're right, it has great pick-up when you put your foot down, and its so quiet!

Followed you from Whirlpool (KILLER WASPS). Howdy.

Ah, good to see another fellow WP'ian here, there's quite a few of them! :D

Enjoy your new HC!

• 1 year later...

Well boys and girls, after a 3 year stint in a VW (terrific MkV Golf GTI), we've decided to make a return to Toyota, after having a lovely little ZZE122R Ultima hatch prior to the Golf.

The wife picked up her new Hybrid Camry on Saturday. Base with factory navigation and grege (two tone) interior. Only accessories fitted are colour matched mats and a rear spoiler, which I fitted up today. Down the track it'll get HIDs, a VAIS Tech VML USB/HDD module for the factory audio, and Touring/Sportivo 17s.

The car is a brilliant drive, IMO much better than a petrol only Camry. The guys at Altona have done an awesome job with the R&D on this car. There's so much sound deadening in the car, everywhere you look. It's incredibly quiet. And underneath it looks like an F1 car with a lot of aerodynamic covers. The suspension feels like a Sportivo, very firm but maybe a little softer, but still very solid and rigid.

Coming from a Golf GTI, I wasn't expecting blistering performance from the Hybrid. However, it does go surprisingly well for a fuel efficient car. The official 0-100 km/h time seems conservative (8.9 seconds). It definitely feels like it has similar acceleration to an Aurion. Don't believe me, have a look on YT at some of the 0-60mph vids of US Hybrid Camrys, you'll be surprised.

Best thing about this car, we got it on finance with Toyota at 1.49%! They are advertising 2.9% on TV atm, but that's business. Consumer gets 1.49%!

So overall, very happy with the car.

Pics of car after it first arrived at the dealership off the truck.

25052010020.jpg

25052010022.jpg

25052010021.jpg

More pics to come.

Another happy hybrid camry owner here, :rolleyes: except didnt know the 2.9% interest was negotiable!! :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Another happy hybrid camry owner here, :rolleyes:

Good stuff!

except didnt know the 2.9% interest was negotiable!! :blink:

That was back when Toyota first introduced the "ratebreaker" rates. There was no negotiation required, that's what the consumer rate was written at. It did eventually jump to 2.06% to cover the change in NCCP rules/est fee reduction back in July last year, and then when they started doing the 3.9 towards the end of last year, consumer was written at 3.05%.

Oh gawd, I'm a slack@rse. I never bothered to post the pic of the boot that was requested earlier. Oh well, 16 months on... :)

Looking forward to updating to the AVV50R Hybrid Camry when they get released next year.

Edited by pinzvidz

• 8 months later...

From memory, there's a storage comparment in front of the gear shifter (bottom of the centre of the dash) which is quite deep, but the power socket is right at the back of it.

Further more to that there is also a roundish section on the kick panal the goes through to the centre console that pops out so you can run leads and gps chargers down the side and through to the 12v outlet so it looks neater.

hello,

thanks for your responses! pick up my 2010 Toyota Camry Hybrid next wednesday, have to drive it back up to Brisbane (from Canberra) hopefully it will be a pleasant experience!