Replacing Cat & exhaust on a 2005 corolla sportivo

Hi all,

I recently discovered that my 05 corolla sportivo has a very loud knocking sound which seems to be coming from the CAT. (not the animal :P)

The rubber seals were checked, everything seems to be intact and it seems as though the sound is coming from within the CAT.

So my question is has anyone replaced their cat on their corolla sportivo? If so,

What brand?

How much?

Where did you get it from?

I got quoted $300.00 fitted for a XFORCE hi flow cat from Western Mufflers Sydney.

I am also keen on looking at the XFORCE VAREX twin 3" exhaust which i got quoted $620.00 fitted from Western Mufflers Sydney.

Any info would be great.

OOY:33H

Hi all,

I recently discovered that my 05 corolla sportivo has a very loud knocking sound which seems to be coming from the CAT. (not the animal tongue.gif)

The rubber seals were checked, everything seems to be intact and it seems as though the sound is coming from within the CAT.

So my question is has anyone replaced their cat on their corolla sportivo? If so,

What brand?

How much?

I got quoted $300.00 fitted for a XFORCE hi flow cat from Western Mufflers Sydney.

I am also keen on looking at the XFORCE VAREX twin 3" exhaust which i got quoted $620.00 fitted from Western Mufflers Sydney.

Any info would be great.

OOY:33H

Its funny because 123R-Prozak posted something similar to this in

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28183&pid=399040&st=0entry399040 and ppl suggested the Cat as being the issue.

Western Mufflers are good , i recommend them over Liverpool Exhaust.

I personally have used Sureflo exhaust and Liverpool Exhaust but wont return there.

On my ZZE122 i paid $1000 for Headers and full system at LE.

Cat back systems have cost me $280 but no name brands .

I changed my oil today and i have a tapping/knocking sound from the bottom as well. Can only hear it when kind of get under the car .

I have a CES Cat back exhaust on my Sportivo and wont be suprised if the noise is coming from the CAT as more than one owner seems to think its a problem.

What brand?

How much?

Toyota

Free

Dad :lol:

$300 is probably average for a cat in Australia.

Not sure what you mean when you say 3", are you referring to the tip or the actual pipe work? If the later then too big.

also try hacken at performance exhaust at northmead they do good quality work there as well, as for cat magnaflow is good brand as well which is around the same price as xforce

Its funny because 123R-Prozak posted something similar to this in

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28183&pid=399040&st=0entry399040 and ppl suggested the Cat as being the issue.

Western Mufflers are good , i recommend them over Liverpool Exhaust.

I personally have used Sureflo exhaust and Liverpool Exhaust but wont return there.

On my ZZE122 i paid $1000 for Headers and full system at LE.

Cat back systems have cost me $280 but no name brands .

I changed my oil today and i have a tapping/knocking sound from the bottom as well. Can only hear it when kind of get under the car .

I have a CES Cat back exhaust on my Sportivo and wont be suprised if the noise is coming from the CAT as more than one owner seems to think its a problem.

Thanks for the info, funny enough I did call Liverpool exhaust, but found them abit expensive... quoted $390 for a CAT fitted... then they talked down XFORCE which i didnt like. I'll strongly consider Western mufflers then...

yup i swear the noise was coming from my cat... my life savings that noise was from the cat... check ya front engine mount !!!

I'll definately get that checked... my issue is that the knocking is only when i start the car and the car is cold, after the car warms up its fine and it doesnt matter what gear im in or a particular rev range, the knocking is still there as long as its cold...

What brand?

How much?

Toyota

Free

Dad :lol:

$300 is probably average for a cat in Australia.

Not sure what you mean when you say 3", are you referring to the tip or the actual pipe work? If the later then too big.

I meant 3" tips, still using 2.5" piping...

also try hacken at performance exhaust at northmead they do good quality work there as well, as for cat magnaflow is good brand as well which is around the same price as xforce

thanks mark2zz, ill give them a call to get some pricing...

Has anyone else got a XFORCE Hi Flow Cat? Do people recommend XFORCE as a quality brand?

Hi All,

Just to let you know that after replacing the factory CAT with a XFORCE Hi Flow SS CAT the rattle is now long gone *yay* :yahoo:

Very happy with Western Mufflers workmanship, and I'd definitely recommend these guys / use these guys again.

I also found out they also do suspension and brake work.

Cheers

OOY33H

performance wise? how she goes?

Performance wise... Seeing as I ended up upgrading both the CAT and EXHAUST, i must say she drives much harder than before... The hi flow CAT compliments the upgraded Exhaust as i feel now that the stock exhaust was very restricted.

def give hakkan at perfromance exhaust in northmead a call ..... does good quality work

Thanks Bill, will keep them on the list for future exhaust mods... :)

so what catback did you end up gettnig? custom 2.5" catback with xforce cat and varex muffler? any mid muffler/resonators?

how's she sound on idle and wot?

trying to choose a muffler

thanks!

Edited by hAmZ

so what catback did you end up gettnig? custom 2.5" catback with xforce cat and varex muffler? any mid muffler/resonators?

thanks!

Hi there Hamz, I ended up with a xforce hiflow ss cat, which goes to the stock mid muffler / resonator, which goes to 2.5" Stainless steel pipe (same size as factory, but shiny), which then goes to the xforce varex 2.5" twin 3" tip.

In regards to sound... shes awesome, must admit, when the varex in closed, she sounds quieter than stock, and when shes open, shes roars pretty loud, but not annoying. I decided to keep the mid muffler / resonator to keep that nice deep low note the sportivo has. When in LIFT, its CRAZY! :spiteful: hehe

PS. I would definately recommend. PPS. when the varex is closed, drives like the how the car was before, when its open, its a different car :P

Let me know how you go...

Steve!

what size inlet is the stock resonator? arnt u stepping down to 2.3" or whatever it is if you use the stock resonator?

yeah still thinking. was contemplating a xforce muffler (8x4" or 9x6" size) or a magnaflow with single tip

• 3 weeks later...

thanks!

Hi there Hamz, I ended up with a xforce hiflow ss cat, which goes to the stock mid muffler / resonator, which goes to 2.5" Stainless steel pipe (same size as factory, but shiny), which then goes to the xforce varex 2.5" twin 3" tip.

In regards to sound... shes awesome, must admit, when the varex in closed, she sounds quieter than stock, and when shes open, shes roars pretty loud, but not annoying. I decided to keep the mid muffler / resonator to keep that nice deep low note the sportivo has. When in LIFT, its CRAZY! :spiteful: hehe

PS. I would definately recommend. PPS. when the varex is closed, drives like the how the car was before, when its open, its a different car :P

Let me know how you go...

Steve!

i need a new cat !!!

whats the part number of your xforce???

also just to clarify whats the inlet and outlet size of the stock cat ????

pretty sure you would be just getting a universal high flow cat and be welding/flanging it on.

I think people have said the inlet on the sportivo is between 2.25-2.5. so around 2.3" or so?

so you'll need a 2.5" cat

Edited by hAmZ

X force as a brand is cheap chinese mass produced hype. Don't like it and don't like the sound it makes.Am still yet to see any solid evidence on just how much superior it is over a quality made normal muffler....

Why did you spend all that money and use the stock resonator?? Free up the system and then put a restrictor back in??? As for a high flow cat you won't notice a lick of difference HP wise from that at all.

Westside mufflers in Padstow is who I would recommend to use for custom quality work. does a lot of work for the likes of Pac Performance, Queen ST smash etc etc. They wouldn't use Brad if he wasn't any good. Just have to see the quality of the cars always parked out the front to know the products are good.....

X force as a brand is cheap chinese mass produced hype. Don't like it and don't like the sound it makes.Am still yet to see any solid evidence on just how much superior it is over a quality made normal muffler....

Why did you spend all that money and use the stock resonator?? Free up the system and then put a restrictor back in??? As for a high flow cat you won't notice a lick of difference HP wise from that at all.

Westside mufflers in Padstow is who I would recommend to use for custom quality work. does a lot of work for the likes of Pac Performance, Queen ST smash etc etc. They wouldn't use Brad if he wasn't any good. Just have to see the quality of the cars always parked out the front to know the products are good.....

+1 besides the cheap xforce part, i got xforce twin tip, best sounding 4 banger ive heard is my car, (no offence to others), its a deep sound if not a little too loud, without that tin can sound at the end when it winds out like ive noticed with a lot of sss's

Edited by CME-LFT

the lower the number of cells, the less effective the cat is and the higher the flow. eg a 100cpi cat will flow more but work less efficiently compared to a 400cpi cat.

the lower the number of cells, the less effective the cat is and the higher the flow. eg a 100cpi cat will flow more but work less efficiently compared to a 400cpi cat.

ta cha54. Not that I'm worried about the pollution lol. Tho I should be, a 100cpsi would be ideal cause of the flow, but is there such thing as too much flow or something?

• 3 weeks later...