HOLDEN!

e240

At the end of the day all these kinds of cars have their up's and downs BUT all will bring a smile to your face and will make you happy, you just need to way up which one has the more "up's" that relate to your life style :)

Overall quality of car is incorporates all aspects of the car and ownerships. the actually build quality of the car and how its parts fits with each other and the quality of the parts, how easy the controls and features are to use, fuel effiency, insurance, rego, resale and servicing costs The Aurion does pretty good against all these fields.

But seriously you have got to drive the turbo 6 they are amazing, i would have kept mine if it hadn’t been a total piece of crap in every other way. Guys on here complain about dash rattles on the Aurion but that is nothing like the BF Mk2 the dash and console, sunroof and rear suspension rattled creaked and knocked all on a 08 car with 18000kms! Had brake problems that new rotors and pads didn’t fix it was just a nightmare and as i impressive as the performance was when you'd burry the foot it didn’t make up for the overall quality deficiency :( BUT the FG does seem to be a better built car than BF.

SSV is probably the best all round car especially with AFM which yes is only available on the 6L80 Auto and as mentioned the VE2 update is coming later in the year so now would be a good chance to grab a SSV or Pontiac looking car pretty cheap. car with the least compromises has all the gizmo's you need without having to option things up.

XR6T's mammoth wave of torque from idle might scare your mum a bit especially in the rain but would have better performance and use less fuel when you’re not caning it and would be less to insure rego etc, down side is apart from the one turbo badge and bigger rims and intercooler they look exactly the same as the all too common N/A XR6 :( at least the XR8 has that bonnet.

But yeah your choice best of luck with it :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

put it this way... right now is a good time to buy any VE holden...

the R8, auto, leather, bimodal exhaust, sports suspension was $65k drive away... thats like 15k under RRP i think... at least 10k...

You might miss the build quality....

Other than that, they have great performance potential.

When its not in the workshop!!! Had two new Holden's in the past. Never again, lost hours and hours of time out of action. when I told them of my problems the mechanic said, either that's Holden or that's mass production to which I used to reply that's my money. NO thanks but good luck to you.

put it this way... right now is a good time to buy any VE holden...

the R8, auto, leather, bimodal exhaust, sports suspension was $65k drive away... thats like 15k under RRP i think... at least 10k...

It's still just a Holden, with the apparent reliability issues.

What will it be worth in 2 years, if purchased for 65K?

yeah cause thats a WAAAYYYYYYY better resale value than toyota... :lol:

people who say "toyota have a great resale value" are severely delusional!

my TRD's RRP was 70k... what is it worth now? well, i'd be luck to get 30k for it these days...

oh and its just a smidge over 2yrs old...

Buying a car isn't usually an investment decision, but to lose $40K in less than 2 years whether it's a Toyota, a Holden, a Ford or anything really just doesn't make sense to me.

In the end, it's still just a Toyota, a Holden, a Ford which has likely been superceded by the next latest and greatest model.

Cars can be very personal selections for many people because some believe it portrays the image that they would like etc, etc...that can be when they pay too much.

For these reasons, I try to buy a car at just over 12 months of age. The Prodigy I recently purchased was >$16K below it's initial sale price, and it had 11 months rego left. That's a fair saving on a car that has been partially run in for me. It was bought because it suited my needs, and not my emotions. It will continue to depreciate of course, but I've avoided that first big hit.

Of course there are people out there that have much more money than I have and they can afford to lose $ on cars. Then there's leasing.

yeah cause thats a WAAAYYYYYYY better resale value than toyota... :lol:

people who say "toyota have a great resale value" are severely delusional!

my TRD's RRP was 70k... what is it worth now? well, i'd be luck to get 30k for it these days...

oh and its just a smidge over 2yrs old...

Too True - On checking, my SX6 can probably only get <20K now..and thats just barely 3 years.

Won't be looking at new though - Probably get a demonstrator model - don't really believe in buying new.

On the other hand..I could just not bother spending more money and drive the current Aurion into the ground (just spend the cash getting my race car ready) - hand it down to my daughter when she's 16...she's 2 now :-p

On the other hand..I could just not bother spending more money and drive the current Aurion into the ground...

That's what I intend on doing.... just not literally this time around :lol: :(

For me, if I had a lot of money to blow I'd definitely buy new cars and upgrade after a couple/few years or there abouts, because nothing beats having a fresh new car. But when it comes to cars at this point in my life, I don't see anything wrong with buying 2nd hand. It saves a fair bit of money and in my opinion, you can get a pretty good deal if you look hard enough. Then you have more money for the other things in life.

I'm not one for worrying about resale value on cars either. I can't let go of things easily enough and a car definitely fits into that category for me. I intend to drive my car till it's had a pretty good life and clocked up many k's, and when it's time for a new car (either if the current one wears out or just starts to look plain old), the cycle will repeat. Then my 'old' car can be like a runabout or something or I will sell it off without worrying about not getting much for it.

after owning my sportivo for near a year im reverting back into an older cheap corolla again and i couldn't be happier... new cars are utterly homo espeically the cash you loose on them.. but if you have the coin definatly do it... Toyotas do hold their value alot better than a Holden or Forn Ash the reason your TRD is worth nothing is because of what it is.. they arent popular what so ever either which doesn't help them.

its not just the TRD though man... look at the prices of the normal aurions...

i blame the fact that the aurion has become a "fleet" car... so the market is just flooded with them!

i'm just arguing the fact that the toyota name brand goes hand in hand with good resale... its not always like that!

its just like any other car... :)

Get an XR6T and then get it fully sick modified/tuned to produce over 1000 hp.

1000hp + XR6T

Wow - for around 1/3 the cost of that engine alone, I can get my Honda Civic to lap around Eastern Creek quicker than that Ford ever will...

Looking for a sponsor who wants to help with building an IPRA U2L car? anyone? anyone?

Wow - for around 1/3 the cost of that engine alone, I can get my Honda Civic to lap around Eastern Creek quicker than that Ford ever will...

Looking for a sponsor who wants to help with building an IPRA U2L car? anyone? anyone?

Hmmmm .... how so ? Care to elaborate ?

One thing I find interesting is how few Ford FPV's you see on the road.

FPV models

I see plenty. In fact, there are at least 3 FPVs in my car-park at work, and not one HSV.

Hmmmm .... how so ? Care to elaborate ?

With a very light car...LOL

Ever seen a NA FWD Civic lap Eastern Creek doing 1:40?

QuickLapTime.jpg

Ok, I Exaggerate a little..maybe 1/2 the cost of that engine..LOL

When I get off my Work VPN I'll post the youtube..

One thing I find interesting is how few Ford FPV's you see on the road.

FPV models

But somehow the Fords just doesn't seem to appeal to me.. :-p

Maybe because on a V8 "Supercar" track day, driving a Ford, the "Instructor" scarred me by yelling at me to slow down each time I went into turn one..LOL...so much for telling customers to drive as fast as they can...

*Update*

Test drove the SS V8 today. MMmmmmm...

Looks - Car looks good - but have always thought the car looks good anyway.

Interior - I have to say that the presentation is alot better than the Aurion. I'm a sucker for black trims.

- I'll say that the Aurion might be a tad more spacious in the interior, but the SS has a better rear seat fold down design.

- No power options for the front seat even in the SS-V - hmmmmm...com'on...at least the driver's seat right?

- Trunk space doesn't look at big as the Aurion

Driving the car - well, there was the V8 growl which does sound sweet, acceleration was good (not staggering, just good)

there were times when the growl was loud but the car didn't seem to be moving (Huh ???)

Auto Gear shifts was pretty smooth - AFM(?) cutover was very smooth as well.

Handling - the feel was different from the Aurion, there's actually more feel in the Aurion

Braking - needs getting used to but maybe because I was testing a Brand new car and pads needed bedding in - Not that the Aurion's standard brakes ae good anyway.

Overall - going into the SS, it wasn't a really WOW feel, rather it was more like, "eh, another car...Nothing special..."

If I didn't already have the Aurion, and was deciding between both, I'd have gotten the SS purely for the V8 **** factor - :-p

(Don't know why I didn't test the SS when I was looking at cars 3 years ago).

But since I've already got the Aurion, there isn't that feel that its necessary to swap to an SS....I'd need some serious convincing to move to an $$.

The salesperson was very good - top marks - I was very impressed with him ...This is the Barry Smith Holden Dealership @ Pennant Hills (PM if you want to know who he is) - although, I would've preferred to have some private time alone to test the car by myself.

When I was first looking at Aurions, first Toyota Dealership I went to told me that the Aurion probably doesn't suit my needs and I should look at a Corolla (Maybe because I'm a speccy Asian..LOL). The 2nd Toyota Dealership insisted I go by a specific route and warned me not to try anything funny. The third threw me the keys and told me to knock myself out - and I put down a deposit on the day itself after the testdrive.

Finally, I did like the look of the R8 Clubsport though...*Sigh*

Edited by e240

*Update*

Test drove the SS V8 today. MMmmmmm...

Looks - Car looks good - but have always thought the car looks good anyway.

Interior - I have to say that the presentation is alot better than the Aurion. I'm a sucker for black trims.

- I'll say that the Aurion might be a tad more spacious in the interior, but the SS has a better rear seat fold down design.

- No power options for the front seat even in the SS-V - hmmmmm...com'on...at least the driver's seat right?

- Trunk space doesn't look at big as the Aurion

Driving the car - well, there was the V8 growl which does sound sweet, acceleration was good (not staggering, just good)

there were times when the growl was loud but the car didn't seem to be moving (Huh ???)

Auto Gear shifts was pretty smooth - AFM(?) cutover was very smooth as well.

Handling - the feel was different from the Aurion, there's actually more feel in the Aurion

Braking - needs getting used to but maybe because I was testing a Brand new car and pads needed bedding in - Not that the Aurion's standard brakes ae good anyway.

Overall - going into the SS, it wasn't a really WOW feel, rather it was more like, "eh, another car...Nothing special..."

If I didn't already have the Aurion, and was deciding between both, I'd have gotten the SS purely for the V8 **** factor - :-p

(Don't know why I didn't test the SS when I was looking at cars 3 years ago).

But since I've already got the Aurion, there isn't that feel that its necessary to swap to an SS....I'd need some serious convincing to move to an $$.

The salesperson was very good - top marks - I was very impressed with him ...This is the Barry Smith Holden Dealership @ Pennant Hills (PM if you want to know who he is) - although, I would've preferred to have some private time alone to test the car by myself.

When I was first looking at Aurions, first Toyota Dealership I went to told me that the Aurion probably doesn't suit my needs and I should look at a Corolla (Maybe because I'm a speccy Asian..LOL). The 2nd Toyota Dealership insisted I go by a specific route and warned me not to try anything funny. The third threw me the keys and told me to knock myself out - and I put down a deposit on the day itself after the testdrive.

Finally, I did like the look of the R8 Clubsport though...*Sigh*

SO at the end of the day it didnt wow you like you expected? and not a bigger enough difference to warrent the change?

SO at the end of the day it didnt wow you like you expected? and not a bigger enough difference to warrent the change?

Nope. The Aurion's engine and gearbox is definately sharper. The handling definately has more feel.

The SS definately has the power but the Aurion's just feels more urgent.

Like I said, if I didn't already have the Aurion, I would definately get the SS, but moving from the Aurion to the SS? Thats a different story.

Nope. The Aurion's engine and gearbox is definately sharper. The handling definately has more feel.

Like I said, if I didn't already have the Aurion, I would definately get the SS, but moving from the Aurion to the SS? Thats a different story.

Yep you got that right about switching up from a V6 to V8. I remember when I had the old Toyota 1980 SE-18 hatchback and I upgraded to 1991 Ford EB series 2 Falcon. It didn't feel the same. Power's there yes but the fun of driving it? It disappeared. I then upgraded from Ford Falcon after only 2 years of it ($$$ went down for its repairs hence me f***ing it off) to Mitsubishi Executive spec Magna sedan with some stuff in it that isn't standard on the normal Magna. I am talking like a switch from a 4 cyl to 6 cyl to V6. For the Mitsubishi magna, the power's there but the fun of driving it was back!

Now since the demise of the magna last year thru the accident which isn't my fault to begin with, I have been using mum's mazda 2003 model 6 classic since the accident. It was rather unnerving sensation of having to switch back to 4 cyl straight from V6! Now later this year in september time, I will be going to the only V6 on my list, Aurion Touring sedan. The rest of my list are all 4 cyl, 2 of them have direct injection engine. I will be test driving all of them sometime in August to decide which one I feel "connected" to. To be honest, the Mitsubishi Magna was the only car I felt "connected" with. In english, it was my favourite car!

Edited by DeafDave76

But no more that nasty oversteer, powersteer on some narrow mountain roads during overtaking is a bitch as well. Audi S3 may be? Audi RS4 best, but price.., S3 still an option I suggest.

But no more that nasty oversteer, powersteer on some narrow mountain roads during overtaking is a bitch as well. Audi S3 may be? Audi RS4 best, but price.., S3 still an option I suggest.

For some strange reason, I don't like Audi's... :-D