HOLDEN!

e240

For some strange reason, I don't like Audi's... :-D

Coz they look plain may be. I dont like look of it ether, but they are fast and nice to drive.

Not much choice here(in large car segment). ether SS, XR6T, XR8 or TRD. Other V8s or V6Ts are just too expensive. Mind you all everyday fast cars are V8, such as M3, RS4, IS-F.

Edited by avstral

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was driving behind a VE SV6 on the freeway couple of days ago. These sit so nice on the road. The car just looks like it hugs the road. No body roll at all, everything looks pretty damn solid.

I think Holden make an awesome suspension package compromising of great sports feel of the suspension as well as comfort. Why is there less body roll on these VE's compare to the Aurions?

Was driving behind a VE SV6 on the freeway couple of days ago. These sit so nice on the road. The car just looks like it hugs the road. No body roll at all, everything looks pretty damn solid.

I think Holden make an awesome suspension package compromising of great sports feel of the suspension as well as comfort. Why is there less body roll on these VE's compare to the Aurions?

I've raced both the new Aurions, Commodores and Falcons are a track at Mt Cotton. IMO Commodores were the worst of the lot - definitely better than the previous models but trust me they do have body roll. The Aurion was very quick and nimble, the Falcon was also very sure footed but did feel alot heavier.

They were all the "sport" versions of the car with all that implied, like suspension. I'm aware the Aurion ATX's suspension is alot softer than the SX6/ZR6 etc models, maybe this is why you feel the SV6 is more solid?

You can have an Aurion that hugs the road and has very little body roll...trust me on this ;)

You can have an Aurion that hugs the road and has very little body roll...trust me on this ;)

you can not cure understeer. understeer is the biggest problem. You can go very fast on some windy road even on small Kia or Daewoo, just put best and wide wheels on it. But if you start really pushing understeer just will kill all the effort. RWD and AWD is different story and can be pushed harder. So I do not see any point in upgrading to say TRD. Another FWD with all the same problems. Add here launch in wet- awful. On the other hand winners of WTCC are Chevy Cruze and Seat which are FWD against BMW 320. So on small cars with little weight and modifications one can achieve performance even from FWD. But on big heavy car... FWD just not gonna work vs RWD.

Edited by avstral

you can not cure oversteer. Oversteer is the biggest problem. You can go very fast on some windy road even on small Kia or Daewoo, just put best and wide wheels on it. But if you start really pushing oversteer just will kill all the effort. RWD and AWD is different story and can be pushed harder. So I do not see any point in upgrading to say TRD. Another FWD with all the same problems. Add here launch in wet- awful. On the other hand winners of WTCC are Chevy Cruze and Seat which are FWD against BMW 320. So on small cars with little weight and modifications one can achieve performance even from FWD. But on big heavy car... FWD just not gonna work vs RWD.

You're confusing me...You seem to refer to understeer but keep saying oversteer?

Sorry, my bad. English not my first language and I still making mistakes :(

So you do mean Understeer right? Which makes more sense with what you're saying.

Having said that, the understeer on the Aurion actually isn't too bad. It will plow if you overdrive it and charge hard and late into corners (But Big heavy Car doesn't), but if you give the car (and yourself) time to settle and set up for the corner, it actually isn't bad especially for a car its size, as mentioned earlier it can be pretty nimble. Would've liked the Aurion to at least have an LSD and that would be sweet.

Sorry, my bad. English not my first language and I still making mistakes :(

So you do mean Understeer right? Which makes more sense with what you're saying.

Having said that, the understeer on the Aurion actually isn't too bad. It will plow if you overdrive it and charge hard and late into corners (But Big heavy Car doesn't), but if you give the car (and yourself) time to settle and set up for the corner, it actually isn't bad especially for a car its size, as mentioned earlier it can be pretty nimble. Would've liked the Aurion to at least have an LSD and that would be sweet.

cut the corner you mean. FWD gives you less chance to control slide, if it starts to slide, then it slide. loose speed or slide. If road windy but not much i dont have problem with understeer at all, but when in starts to take sharp turns, thats the problem. I like Aurion, but step up is V8 and RWD. Or no point to change it.

Edited by avstral

Drove an SV6 commodore the other day. What a piece of crap. It has no feel and the rear end feels like is floating around on the road. Jumped back into my car just to remind me how good it handles. The SV6 interior is shoddy and poor quality....nothing lines up and all the plastic bends.......it was my bosses company car and even he now realizes that when he ordered it, it was the biggest mistake he made. He had a falcon before this that was much better. Although now he is looking at an Accord or a Mazda 6. The SV6 feels big and slow....it just has no feel to it!

Thumbs down for Holdens......

Again I tend to differ with the FWD of the Aurion creating a limitation. I believe, when you consider Commodores, Falcons and Aurions then there are other limiting factors that play a more integral role to cornering ability than whether or not it is FWD or RWD.

I refer to the racing around Mt Cotton I mentioned - it wasn't only my opinion, but also that of all the professional drivers there that the Aurions could easily out perform the Commodores and Falcons on the track. With decent tread and the amount of power these cars put out factory (not incredible. good but still far short of a proper race car) then the driving wheels will not play as an important part.

But I digress. IMO the quality of the Commdore has fallen in previous years (considering it wasn't even that great to begin with), where as the Falcon has improved. Although mechanically Falcons have a rather checkered past, I still rate them higher in all departments than the Commodore.

Ah well - long story short - I'll be keeping the Aurion at least for the next couple of years.

I like the direction this thread is taking though...FWD vs RWD! LOL...

Was on my way from from Lithgow, up the putty road..(is that whats its call?) ..anyway, as you exit Lithgow (Past Corney Town), is a steep uphill with sharp bends.

Was following behind a couple of cars who were going slowly (but thats fine), in front of me was a little Citroen, looks like a C2 but looks really sporty, don't know if it was turbo charged cause but I did hear distinct whistling of a blow off valve.. as usual, young man driving, pretty aggressive and he was tailgating the car in front as we ascended the hill/

Anyway, as we passed Corney Town, heading north-east, the road opened up into 2 lanes and we both gunned it.. I got on his tail right away, as we overtook the first car into the sharp right handed, there was a gap to the 2nd car, I was right on him but he simply refushed to give way and continued to block me on the outside lane. I tucked nicely behind him and as we approached the next left turn, I saw my chance, before he had the chance to react, I nosed in under brakes, used a touch of left foot brake to pull the nose of the Aurion down and around and used the grunt of a 3.5litre V6 to power past him (which can sometimes be startling..and from time to time, I continue to be surprised by the nimbleness of a car as big and heavy as the Aurion) something, even a small capacity engine (even turbo charged) will not be able to do as quick as an NA car. Roaring past him on the left, the loser flicked on his High Beam, but that lasted on a few seconds as I left him for dead up the rest of the winding road...

I did see him again down in Windsor, pushing and then aggressively overtaking an L Plater. LOL..big fish eats small fish, small fish eats smaller fish...LOL

Edited by e240

good to hear and see u stay japanese/australian boy!

i spent 8hours with an HSV GTS. it was nice. v8, 317kw, but, found 5 shotty build quality issues. 1 was just plain dodgy. i mean wtf. i was detailing the car and then out of no where, i stubbled on this clicking door plastic trim on the exterior. it was shaking as i touched it. on the otherside, the same part was rock solid. evidence of the production line missing a crucial step in not APPLYING GLUE to that part. when i opened the door, the plastic trim could easily be forced out with what little glue it had on 1 side. w-t-f. u'd think for a HSV at least they couldve got at minimal, build quality on the exteriors right - but no.

ive had wonderful experiences with fords and XR6T, and their build quality (a little betta than holdens!!!!!). i think the feel of the turbo (a small one on the xr6t though)is so much more rewarding than a blood thrusty truck on 4 wheels. XR8s will died too soon because everyone buys the turbo6s.

imo to justify u going from an aurion to an aussie mean unreliable machine, u'd have to look exclusively at fpv or hsv. maybe a xr6t cuz i have a soft spot for them B)

This thread is somehow making me laugh. I think it's all the argument between FWD and RWD. All I want to say is that if you are going to complain about FWD and understeer, then don't go blaming the car.

This thread is somehow making me laugh. I think it's all the argument between FWD and RWD. All I want to say is that if you are going to complain about FWD and understeer, then don't go blaming the car.

I really like FWDs :-D

I am asian too and yes I don’t really understand why there aren’t many asians driving falcodores. The Asians living in Springvale are most likely to have Toyotas in their garage and the ones living in Kew would prefer Mercedes.

Ok, back to the car, Holden SSV. What a beast. I’ve never driven the V8 Holdens before. Often I hear ppl complaining how bad the commodores are built and how the Toyotas are miles ahead. I disagree. I rented an SV6 for 5 days while on holiday in queensland. Can’t comment on long term reliability after just 5 days but I must say I m pretty impressed by its build quality and its driving experience. Getting into the car, its very dark, so it depends on whether you like dark trims or not. I find it better than silver plastics in the Aurion. Shut the door and it feels the outside has been muted instantly. The door shuts with a nice “woommff” unlike my Kluger’s that goes “bengggg”. I am not good emulating sound but you know what I mean. The steering was good, no rattling and that could the RWD advantage.

So why didn’t I buy the SS…. I am still unsure if the rationales were rationales . It was mainly its fuel use (14.3 on pre-AFM V8) and a very strong object from my wife. Maybe all Asian ladies don’t like falcodores hence the Asian men don’t get to buy them?

Edited by boleh

a very strong object from my wife.

My Wife doesn't dictate what I can and cannot buy.. :-p

Every time someone posts in this thread a baby kitten dies.

Oh No! MEOOOOOWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR