Kumho SPT KU31 vs Bridgestone Adrenalin RE001

Buff Hamster

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm in need of new tyres as my back 2 tyres have reached the change indicator. I choosing between the Kumho SPT KU31 or Bridgestone Adrenalin RE001 but i'm not sure which one to pick. If you have tried both or one of these tyres can you comment on them.

The problem is that The RE001 claims to be better on review sites but here on TOCAU people claim them to be overrated whereas the KU31 has a lower rating but is MUCH more popular. So the reviews are confusing and hard to understand. If a tyre is better shouldn't it be more popular as well?

Edited by Hamster

go and have a look at my ride thread, i've had both

Re001 overall offer more performance but are they that much better to justify the price...

whitestivo

How did you fine the comfort and quietness of the tyres?

The funny thing is that i can get the RE001 cheaper than the KU31 for the size i'm looking at :spiteful: :spiteful: :spiteful:

going from the stock 16inch dunlop tires onto 215/55r17 potenza re001 i was blown away in all aspects with the bridgestone... quietness, smoothness, grip, wet weather braking. id get them again if they made them in the right load rating for the size im moving up to... :(

I've just gone from 215/55 17 with the standard Michelin MXV8 to 225/45 18 with the KU31.

I've got a big shock in the difference of noise level when I first drove it out from the workshop.

Now two weeks later I would form a different opinion. Whether I am used to the noise or that the noise has settled due to the break in, it doesn't appear that bad at all.

I must say I'm not comparing apple with apple and I've gone to a much wider rim, from 7" to an 8". The grip level though has improved by a considerable margin.

Actually I was contemplating on the Falken 912, I don't know whether I made the right choice or not since the Kumhos were so cheap at $180 each.

I wanted the KU27 or even the KU39 more than anything else. But you just can't get them for the size I'm after.

Edited by conroe

i've just fitted 4x bridgestone 215/60/16 RE001 for $129 a tyre also less for NRMA members and would never use any thing else. The grip ,comfort,noise and value for money is so good plus i also picked up a $60.00 cash back card to use anywhere i choose now thats what i call a bargin...

Edited by TRDCELICA

• 1 month later...

i've just fitted 4x bridgestone 215/60/16 RE001 for $129 a tyre also less for NRMA members and would never use any thing else. The grip ,comfort,noise and value for money is so good plus i also picked up a $60.00 cash back card to use anywhere i choose now thats what i call a bargin...

gee whiz, now that is a super dooper price for a tyre like that, well done on finding that bargain thats for sure! im on size 215.55.16 (primarily because 215.60.16 gives me more % difference than the 55s) and im currently on toyo teo plus's, considering the move to an re001 or ku31, however, im leaning more towards the ku31s as the treadwear rating is just higher and will last longer.

my currently teo plus's have a treadwear of 280, and have done 35,000 to 40,000kms, they are still soft and are just so comfortable and brilliant in the wet. too bad i like to try different tyres, because i would so buy the toyo's again. the re001s have treadwear of 220 - now thats just too much of a soft compound to change from, cuz i need my tyres to last longer due to high mileage and spirited driving. the ku31s are 360 - however will be worried around the noise levels when i reach around 40,000kms.

plus, the ku31s are considered by many as the best value for money tyre, that gives u the ability to use them daily, while being able to take them to track days. i know alot of people have to buy the re001s in bulk because although perform well, are too soft and will run out easily. correct me if im wrong though, just reports of 4 individuals.

I'm slightly off topic but i prefer Dunlop SPXXX over Adrenalin RE001 .

I noticed my Adrenalin RE001 seem to wear quicker than any other tyre i have had in the past and thats despite looking after them well with the pressure and rotations.

gee whiz, now that is a super dooper price for a tyre like that, well done on finding that bargain thats for sure! im on size 215.55.16 (primarily because 215.60.16 gives me more % difference than the 55s) and im currently on toyo teo plus's, considering the move to an re001 or ku31, however, im leaning more towards the ku31s as the treadwear rating is just higher and will last longer.

my currently teo plus's have a treadwear of 280, and have done 35,000 to 40,000kms, they are still soft and are just so comfortable and brilliant in the wet. too bad i like to try different tyres, because i would so buy the toyo's again. the re001s have treadwear of 220 - now thats just too much of a soft compound to change from, cuz i need my tyres to last longer due to high mileage and spirited driving. the ku31s are 360 - however will be worried around the noise levels when i reach around 40,000kms.

plus, the ku31s are considered by many as the best value for money tyre, that gives u the ability to use them daily, while being able to take them to track days. i know alot of people have to buy the re001s in bulk because although perform well, are too soft and will run out easily. correct me if im wrong though, just reports of 4 individuals.

The RE001 threadwear rating is 340 NOT 220.

Now thats interesting.

What size do you use...but i doubt that would be the case. I have also personally seen it rated at 220, unless i was dreaming it (no...)

Refer to links below:

Australia Honda

Malaysia Echo

Random

Now unless they have changed...mmmm......

*confused*

Now thats interesting.

What size do you use...but i doubt that would be the case. I have also personally seen it rated at 220, unless i was dreaming it (no...)

Now unless they have changed...mmmm......

*confused*

My last sets (215/55R17 and 225/50R17) both had a treadwear rating of 220. Interesting. Because I have said that before as well:

Actually seemed quieter than the Michelins as well which was quite surprising.

whats the treadwear, traction, temperature rating for the Potenza Adrenlin?

any other changes like tyre dimensions or wheel?

Sorry, I got your PM before I saw this thread. Some of us were at the National Meet so cut me a little slack on the reply timeframe :P

I'll post it again here for others to see anyways. For the Potenza Adreanalin:

Treadwear 220 Traction A Temperature A

My last sets (215/55R17 and 225/50R17) both had a treadwear rating of 220. Interesting. Because I have said that before as well:

maybe someone got some RE0001s :lol:

if the re001s were at 340, i doubt the sidewalls would be of a softer kind, rather more of a harder kind, hence the ku31s are 360 because people have experienced some slight to moderate tramlining when used over 35,000kms. having said that, after 35,000kms and people still want to use it on a track must be some proof that grip levels are still good.

EDIT: And just wondering duddettes, those who have used re001s, how do you find them in the wet? are you confident? or are they unreliable and dodgy in the wet when aged? just getting it for a jazz in 195/50/15, and because the missus does do alot of mileage per year, naturally a softer compound would be better than a harder - but ive heard unconfirmed reports of re001s being a tad dodgy when in the wet when aged (althrough treadlevels are still good).

Edited by Wixy

maybe someone got some RE0001s :lol:

if the re001s were at 340, i doubt the sidewalls would be of a softer kind, rather more of a harder kind, hence the ku31s are 360 because people have experienced some slight to moderate tramlining when used over 35,000kms. having said that, after 35,000kms and people still want to use it on a track must be some proof that grip levels are still good.

EDIT: And just wondering duddettes, those who have used re001s, how do you find them in the wet? are you confident? or are they unreliable and dodgy in the wet when aged? just getting it for a jazz in 195/50/15, and because the missus does do alot of mileage per year, naturally a softer compound would be better than a harder - but ive heard unconfirmed reports of re001s being a tad dodgy when in the wet when aged (althrough treadlevels are still good).

They're better than C-Drives in the wet for sure. No sign of under or aquaplaning unless going beyond brave steering angle + speed lolz.

How many KMs would it roughly take to "run in" RE001?

I haven't got much of a technical answer to that one, but I found that at least 1500-2000km of normal/non-aggressive driving led to longer life out of my RE001's than a set that was driven hard after only a few hundred km of normal driving.

But that could come down to any number of factors including the way I thought I was treating the tires.

They're better than C-Drives in the wet for sure. No sign of under or aquaplaning unless going beyond brave steering angle + speed lolz.

wow and cdrives usually cost a bomb.

righto, i guess it cant be that bad, considering the size im after is made in australia.

thx for heads up