Defyant

• 1 month later...

MK II Tail lights, Ive decided to Add a small step down on the 12v rail, pretty simplistic design just using a 5W resistor to take maybe 2 volts off the top.

They still run pretty close to the same over all brightness a new 220 ohm 5w resistor and a diode added for reverse voltage protection. I have also added a secondary inside ring to the outer lights that activate with brakes. Just to give the lights a bit more "YES IM STOPPING!"

The tint will also be coming off I may look at a lighter shade. And the new Blinker LED assembly added.

New blinker unit and mk2 lights.

IMG_1086.jpg

Pervious look.

IMG_1096.jpg

With the new inner ring

IMG_1097.jpg

Blinker added

IMG_1098.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Rebs :D got your message just bfore I pulled my phone apart :D (fitting new bezel) how's Monday sound mate? I may get excited sunday and do something diy :)

Thought about the chaser Chris, but believe or not it's just too hard to find a single function unit they all wanna do 50 patterns :(

thanks Rebs :D got your message just bfore I pulled my phone apart :D (fitting new bezel) how's Monday sound mate? I may get excited sunday and do something diy :)

Thought about the chaser Chris, but believe or not it's just too hard to find a single function unit they all wanna do 50 patterns :(

Lol. Is there something you haven't pulled apart yet ??

Mmm sounds interesting. Monday sounds good man. I'll see you then ;)

• 2 weeks later...

oh i was talking about the halo ring do you buy them in that shape already or did you have to mould the shape to get the circle. ALso i cant see but how does the light go through the ring is there an led inside the ring

God I keep thinking this will be the last..... then I have another idea. Anyways this should be the last incarnation of these tail lights.

Decided to add even more rings. The Depth of the rings large to small gives a pretty cool effect. Hard to see in pics.

IMG_1242.jpg

The standard tail lamp will still look as before a single ring on the outer sections with the 2 half cut rings on the inner boot lights.

IMG_1243.jpg

But when brakes are applied you get a fuller looking brake light.

IMG_1244-1.jpg

That's 5 rings ! a hell of alotta light :D

IMG_1247.jpg

I still like it how they were previously man. Now its starting to look too much like the standard pre-facelift lights with all the rings :(

I still like it how they were previously man. Now its starting to look too much like the standard pre-facelift lights with all the rings :(

Yeah mate, that's exactly right.

Looks like other standard cars with all the rings.

leave it with 3 rings Luke..

or do it similar to mine 3/4 cuts but with three rings

If I were you, I'd do 3 layers of lights, and get rectangle & longer shapes (if possible) instead of round ones... Will have a greater look.

Not saying this doesn't look great. Your car alone stands out alot already.

Cheers for the feedback guys :) I gotta get a set of head lights done this weekend but hopefully can spend some time on the tail lights too.

The prob with going to a square shape Vic is that it dosn't really work with the original design. If I could get my hands on the later model tail lights that's something I would most deff have a play with.

Cheers for the feedback guys :) I gotta get a set of head lights done this weekend but hopefully can spend some time on the tail lights too.

The prob with going to a square shape Vic is that it dosn't really work with the original design. If I could get my hands on the later model tail lights that's something I would most deff have a play with.

Try drawing it.. In my head, It'll look outstanding. :D

Want mine to play with? :lol:

• 1 month later...

OK here's the final look of these lights.

I've added some better circuit design and protection as well as a new custom blinker module. Designed to have a more factory look.

I wasn't happy with just having the blinker LED's on a board. After checking out a few of the Merc's etc I noticed they run their LED's on chrome type diffuser housing.

I gave it a go and came up with this design.......... pretty sure I could turn into a pretty pro looking DRL as well. anyways bit of a picky flood so i'll just post.

9-10.jpg

10-12.jpg

11-9.jpg

16-3.jpg

Resprayed and rebuilt the outer lights

18-2.jpg

17-2.jpg

New design for circuitry

19-1.jpg

Cleaned up and added new satin black internal plates to the boot lights.

20-1.jpg

21-2.jpg

22-2.jpg

23-1.jpg

Sealed back up for a bench test.

25-1.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

And of course the mandatory youtube clip :) with funky tunes!

• Like 1

If I ever track down a set of tails from the wreckers I will get you to build them up just like that revision, except with the 2 main elements lighting up under braking instead of just the outside element :)

Cheers mate, Can set em up with any combo you like,

Finished all 4 off today. Hoping to get em back in for next weeks meet/cruise..

IMG_2131_renamed_15349.jpg

IMG_2114_renamed_3259.jpg

IMG_2135_renamed_19897.jpg

Cheers mate,

naaa I scrapped em for the led's.

These modules are way better, and look more pro when the dark tint is off. These new ones take me about as long as the mirror arrow mods.

So only an hour or 2 to make both sets. The old ones took prolly 5 hrs. :(

Oh i get ya. Well when you have your fun with the blinker you can pass it onto to me ;)

looks really pro mate, well done