Dash protection - a Mothers product perhaps?????

Electrician

About 30 years ago, before most of you were born, I replaced a dashboard in my 2 door Gallant. The guy from the dash manufacturing place told me to use baby oil on it as Armoral dried it out. I've done this on all my cars since with great success.

No doubt there is something better. The Aurion dash is the size of a football field and nestled under a windscreen about the same size. Even with the windscreen protector up it gets extremely hot. I'm afraid if I use baby oil on it with that sort of heat I'll end us with a "not the chips" type fire. :wub:

Is there any consensus, thanks.

I use Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber care for my dashboard.

+1...i just started using a few Autoglym products for the 1st time this being one of them and it seems to work well,have used the Mothers & Megs with no dramas.

yeah im the same as pah, ive used kitten on all of my cars :)

For me, I simply bought a dashmat and slapped it on. Problem solved.

From here on, all I need to do is just a quick vacuum of the dashmat every so often and I won't need to worry about it ever again.

You can put stuff on it and don't have to worry about messing up the dashboard, and if your dashmat looks a bit tired after a few years, just take it off, bin it and put on a new one.

That's just me though... some people don't like the look of dashmats....:rolleyes: Reckon it goes well with the furry dice and the bobble headed labradoodle Oh yeah!! LOL

Cheers,

BB

Edited by Beep Beep

I used to use amorall UNTIL I found this: http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Meguiars-Classic-Shine-Protectant.aspx?pid=225593#details

It is (without exaggeration) 100 x BETTER than armorall dash spray. This meguiars spray smells so damn nice, and leaves the surface shiny and NOT oily like the armorall.

I'm definitely I convert to this spray after using amorall dash spray for 3 years.

The carwash usuallly use Armor All on my car, After reading this thread last night, I thought I'd check the dash trims on my car. Yes, it's got a dry look :-(

Time to try something else :-)

Stuff I have been using is Bowdens Own.

http://www.bowdensown.com.au/vinyl-care

Also available at most Autobahn stores.

Before choosing read this page about ingredients first

http://www.bowdensown.com.au/node/399

Yes, before buying. Check out the girl :lol: :P

http://www.bowdensown.com.au/vinyl-care

LOL i will take the blonde at the bottom thanks :spiteful:

http://www.bowdensow...m.au/vinyl-care

Yep, I'll take two thanks.... while I"m at it I might as well buy a bottle of vinyl care too.... :blink::yahoo:

Cheers,

HONK HONK

http://www.bowdensow...m.au/vinyl-care

Yep, I'll take two thanks.... while I"m at it I might as well buy a bottle of vinyl care too.... :blink::yahoo:

Cheers,

HONK HONK

Ingredients may contain hot blond girls :lol:

Gave the Meg's Ultimate a run before reading about the Bowden's Vinyl Care. I don't know what the detailers used on the dash before I took delivery, but I'm not particularly happy with the result after three applications. Maybe the Meg's isn't happy over whatever it was. Still looks a bit patchy to me.

Having said that, I used the Megs on a second hand "D" pillar plastic cover on my son's EL Falcon Wagon, and it came up magically.

Does anyone know the Megs contents? Has it any of the nasties mention in the Vinyl Care write up. i.e Silica 1 / solvents? A check of their hazmet site frightened buggery out of me, but I suppose is not different to any similar products. It still didn't exactly reveal the contents.

Thanks to all who have got involved with this...and the blonde does look good - wonder if she's got a mother/grandmother ?????

Cheers Tom

Found on this forum. http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-982.html

Bit lenghty Says a lot but still wondering about the silicone included. Be nice to have two of the same car to try it out on over a few years.

Originally posted by Prophecy

I was reading an article on how some Products (maybe Armor ALL) or other interior cleaners may actually cause your dash board to crack.

The way it was explained was, if the cleaning agent has too much water or silicone it will absorb into material and can sweat. Causing the dash board material to expand and crack.

First of all, modern plastic dashes, (this includes vinyl, which is a type of plastic), are far more advanced in their chemistry than vinyl dashes 30, 20 and even 10 years ago. Just like most things, when new technology comes along to make a product better, most companies adopt it. I can’t say that I have seen too many dashes on modern cars crack.

The way older vinyl dashes were made, a Plasticizer was included in the vinyl to help make the plastic soft, elastic and flexible. Over time, and exposure to heat and direct sunlight, the plasticizers in the vinyl break down, deteriorate and the vinyl becomes hard and brittle and susceptible to cracking instead of flexing.

Some vinyl protectants in the past used a plasticizer in their formula to soften the vinyl to make it flexible, and keep it flexible. Here was the problem with that, there’s an old saying, ”Like products dissolve like products”, this was the case with the plasticizer in some protectant products, it had a tendency to dissolve and leach out the vinyl’s original plasticizers prematurely thus accelerating the deterioration process. This could lead to cracking in vinyl dashes because the vinyl became more brittle and hard.

An analogy is your finger nails. When your fingernails are hard and brittle, they will crack. After exposing them to water for an extended period of time, shower, swimming, bath, hot tub, etc. your fingernails become soft and flexible, much less prone to cracking or breaking. Because of new technology used to make plastics, plasticizers in products are no longer an issue.

Meguiar’s vinyl products contain no plasticizers.

Meguiar’s vinyl products don’t use any ingredients that are harmful to vinyl, and in fact just the opposite. Some of Meguiar’s vinyl protectants contain safe and gentle chemical cleaners to help clean the vinyl so you don’t seal and trap dirt and dust into the surface. Meguiar’s M-40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detail.cfm?parentURL=index_pro.cfm&sku=M-40) is an example of a vinyl protectant that contains a safe chemical cleaner.

Other ingredients used in Meguiar’s vinyl products are in their to block out UV rays which fade the vinyl by breaking down the pigments used to give vinyl it’s color. Some ingredients add protection by leaving behind a coating that water proofs vinyl and prevents staining. Specialized ingredients penetrate into the vinyl and create beauty while helping to maintain flexibility. Other ingredients, such as silicones are added to create shine.

By the way, Meguiar’s uses no harmful silicones in any of the products. Silicones are inert, they have no negative effect to the surface or material they are applied to. In some formulas they ad shine, in some formulas the improve application and removal which is a benefit to the user.

Anybody know more about this and how does Meguiar’s compare?

Maybe somebody from Meguiar’s can provide some numbers of the water % or silicone % of their products and maybe their competitors.

Thanks

Proph

Under R&D, I am under strict restriction that will not let me share proprietary information. I am not allowed to discuss formula ingredients specifically, or formulas in general. Competitors watch Meguiar’s like hawks, always looking for ways to obtain information, or advantage. So while I’m interested in how things work, and I know all of you are interested in how things work, there is only so much information I can relate and after that, you simply must try for yourself, the product, or products in question and determine with your eyes whether or not you like the results.

In some cases, you must place your trust in a company and have faith that the ingredients in a product are the finest ingredients available, and included in a formula for a specific purpose. In the case of Meguiar’s products, the ingredients used in any particular formula are chosen because they are either beneficial to the surface, or beneficial to the procedure.

The post from SirNed above is correct.

The materials used in modern cars, such as Aurion, are such that they don't crack.

These products do take advantage of the previous need and modern misconceptions that they are required.

Under R&D, I am under strict restriction that will not let me share proprietary information. I am not allowed to discuss formula ingredients specifically, or formulas in general. Competitors watch Meguiars like hawks, always looking for ways to obtain information, or advantage. So while Im interested in how things work, and I know all of you are interested in how things work, there is only so much information I can relate and after that, you simply must try for yourself, the product, or products in question and determine with your eyes whether or not you like the results.

Thanks for your comprehensive input SirNed, and the quote.

I wasn't looking for the complete formula for Mag's Ultimate Protection. Rather omitted ingredients.

I might be playing the Devil's Advocate, but I am wondering why one (opposition) company states that "no Solvent & silicone is used (in their product) and its product "will not dry out vinyl, plastic & rubber or create cracking and fissures", which gives the impression that those contents may/will cause damage.

Megs doesn't list any (omitted) ingredients or give that guarantee. All it lists is "....rich shine and darkness on interior surfaces...superior UV protection..."

In some cases, you must place your trust in a company and have faith that the ingredients in a product are the finest ingredients available, and included in a formula for a specific purpose. In the case of Meguiars products, the ingredients used in any particular formula are chosen because they are either beneficial to the surface, or beneficial to the procedure.

Sorry, whilst I'm sure the product is good, I would sooner make a few inquiries than place blind trust in any company or product.

Cheers Tom

Actually I was just thinking wasn't it British Tobacco company saying what they make is good. As you said need to do your own research not just listen to advertising\marketers.