03 Stivo+TRD CAI vs 05 Stivo Stock

It was time to see what a CAI can do in terms of performance and to see how the 03 vs the 05 model corolla sportivo shapes up. My GF driving my old car 03 with a TRD CAI on one lane, myself in my 05 model in the other. To make it as fair as possible, we do a rolling start from about 60kph in 2nd..............both plant it, hit lift.....boy does the CAI sound cool :).. all the way to the top of 3rd.... Now i had a bad batch of Friggin optimax......for me never again, my ***** has more octane in it...so my car was feeling down on power since that fuel load, havent had a chance to top it up....So you guys are asking how it all went? You would think with a CAI she would pull away rite?? well it was dead even, we both stayed in lift 2-3rd change...........and it was dead even all the way....we tried it twice to make sure, with the same result..... which makes me think how much doeas a CAI really give you apart from noise??? Or is the 05 model that much quicker?...I will follow up on this when i get a CAI installed in mine to see the results.

It was time to see what a CAI can do in terms of performance and to see how the 03 vs the 05 model corolla sportivo shapes up. My GF driving my old car 03 with a TRD CAI on one lane, myself in my 05 model in the other. To make it as fair as possible, we do a rolling start from about 60kph in 2nd..............both plant it, hit lift.....boy does the CAI sound cool :).. all the way to the top of 3rd.... Now i had a bad batch of Friggin optimax......for me never again, my ***** has more octane in it...so my car was feeling down on power since that fuel load, havent had a chance to top it up....So you guys are asking how it all went? You would think with a CAI she would pull away rite?? well it was dead even, we both stayed in lift 2-3rd change...........and it was dead even all the way....we tried it twice to make sure, with the same result..... which makes me think  how much doeas a CAI really give you apart from noise???  Or is the 05 model that much quicker?...I will follow up on this when i get a CAI installed in mine to see the results.

Good try mate but shame on you to even be racing your gf :P , But i don't doubt the fact that the CAI doesn't provide much more straight line if any at all and it doesn't surprise me one bit. I have never been one that claimed the CAI gave me much more power. It's just a pipe and a pod filter right? I got it seriously for the sound and a CAI setup would acheive that plus refrain from sucking hot air like a short ram intake kit would. The pricing i was quoted for a short ram was also around $350 so i got the TRD CAI for $100 more instead.

I thnk its too basic a modification to give you really noticeable straight line speed increase. But who knows? Maybe there is an increase in hp but on te street its negligible because of driver skill and all other variables..

But i do really suspect if you install a Unichip on a stock 05' and a Unichip on a 03' Stivo with CAI you will probably see substantially more hp in the 03' Stivo with the CAI. ** :D I see Imek made this point earlier than i did and is on the same chain of thought!**

Edited by ZEEROLLA

....and it was dead even all the way....

I gave Sportivo_Rice a play a few weeks ago, with my car 100% stock and his having a CAI & CES.

He got the pip on me at the lights, but he only had 1/2 car length on me all the way through 1st, 2nd & 3rd....

shame on you to even be racing your gf :P

Z... I'm impressed that he has a missus that will race.

Mine's too scared to hit lift, and she hates it when I do it with her in the car.... :P

Ok....we werent racing, we were just testing out the mod as i really thought a CAI would make just that little bit extra, while at the same time i had a feeling the 05 model stock pulled harder than the 03 stock and the 03 +cai would be close, and my assumptions were some what correct. On the other hand my gf always kicks my ***** when ever we have a little go so last nite was the first time when she didnt kick my ***** :rolleyes:

when you think about it.......

The amount of money some of us have put into our cars and the time differences on the 1/4 mile are marginal :(

Dave ~14.8 - lotta mods

Craig ~14.8 - lotta mods

Shao ~15.2 - CAI/Headers

wei wei ~15.3 - CAI

Hamish ~15.4 - STOCK!

many other Stock '03'04 Stivo Pre Recall ~15.2 - 15.5 (QLD only event)

Now I can not comment on the circuit ? maybe a few of the guys like dave, influx, zee etc can compare lap times and let us know??

If I had my time over again with my car I would do things differently B)

I must admit it is hard to differentiate power gains from noise gains. When the car sounds faster it somehow feels faster too.

What I can say for 100% sure is that I have quite abit more torque with my CAI and CES. I drive a 1 hour strentch of freeway from Sydney to the central coast about once every week or two and know it well. Before the mods I would have to change from 6th to 5th on at least three hills. Since adding the mods I can happily stay in 6th the whole way. I even took the CES off for a month and noticed I was back to changing down.

Another thing that changes SIGNIFICANTLY in my car with the mods is throttle response. In an underground parking - I can tap the pedal and my tyres will chirp immediately on the slippery concrete surface. Without the mods, the delayed throttle response meant the power would wind up more slowly and prevent the chirping.

Finally - and again there is no question here - on some road surfaces when I hit lift in 2nd gear - my tyres will chirp (just from hitting lift). That NEVER happened before the mods on my car and is indicative of torque gains.

The amount of money some of us have put into our cars and the time differences on the 1/4 mile are marginal :(

Dave ~14.8 - lotta mods

Craig ~14.8 - lotta mods

Shao ~15.2 - CAI/Headers

wei wei ~15.3 - CAI

Hamish ~15.4 - STOCK!

Now I can not comment on the circuit ? maybe a few of the guys like dave, influx, zee etc can compare lap times and let us know??

If I had my time over again with my car I would do things differently  B)

maybe you should learn to drive around bends craig, all those "lotta" mods u have won't really help make the car turn or respond very well to throttle inputs. as most track junkies would know, the less power u have on the track and the faster u go, respect grows exponentially. B) B)

Edited by shaohaok

Dave's car is a good couple of seconds a lap quicker then mine around Wakefield Park (stock), mostly has to do with his suspension set-up. We were both running street tyres at street pressures (and we both payed for it at the end of the day with well rolled corners).

His suspension/wheel combos are as follows...

Koni Yellow adjustable shocks all round

Whiteline control springs

Whiteline rear sway-bar

Whiteline front strut brace

TRD rear strut brace

Whiteline camber bolts with 1.5mm on the front

17" 5Zigen wheels

205/45/17 Toyo tyres

My car was stock at the time...

Unfortutely we do not have lap times as that requires someone to stand at the side and hand time (at the moment) and we all want to drive our cars :P

Edited by Blue_Stivo

Dave ~14.8 - lotta mods

Craig ~14.8 - lotta mods

Shao ~15.2 - CAI/Headers

wei wei ~15.3 - CAI

Hamish ~15.4 - STOCK!

maybe you should learn to drive around bends craig, all those "lotta" mods u have won't really help make the car turn or respond very well to throttle inputs. as most track junkies would know, the less power u have on the track and the faster u go, respect grows exponentially. B) B)

hence why it has never been on the track!!!! cause its not setup for it :P

you know as well as i do thats why

What's the weight difference between you and your GF... could it be you're lighter than your GF??

haha! no offence buddy... :D

but suprising results... :)

should reset the ECU on the one with the CAI

Dave ~14.8 - lotta mods

Craig ~14.8 - lotta mods

Shao ~15.2 - CAI/Headers

wei wei ~15.3 - CAI

Hamish ~15.4 - STOCK!

:( Sad fact but true about NA cars especially our highly strung engines. The VTECs also have trouble gaining power (most go backwards either in power/torque or driveability :o ) that's why they have boosted ones. Or else you can always spend big bucks for engine internal mods which will give slightly more gains than all the bolt-ons but still is not the best bang for buck unless you seriously want to remain NA. There are Civic Vti-Rs with Spoon engine internals stroked to 1800cc, plus all the Jap bolt-ons you can find, fully setup for drag/track and ran low-mid 14s consistently. He spent close to $15,000 on parts and his mates all say he it would be much easier to turbo it but his reply was "its easy to make big power boosted, and its not the same fun". So we should all keep this mentality when tuning NA cars, don't expect huge leaps in power or huge reduction in 1/4mile times. ;)

But bear in mind guys that a 14.8 and a 15.2 is still a 3-4 car length gap on the 1/4 mile so it doesn't mean there were no gains. And i can bet Dave and Craig can do high 14s consistently, not just a one shot wonder. With some other mods strictly for drag racing they can sure hit low 14s.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

The difference between my last dyno run(pre CAI) and my latest one CAI with ITG filter) is 9.75KWatw. Ok before you all carry on about the"differences in Dyno's" let me say that temperature was a little cooler and humidity was also lower but that still would only equate to a partial increase. I'm a firm believer that the CAI will only work at its best combined with some form of decent exhaust mods.

Simple Equation - More into the engine, more out of the engine = more power, more efficiency = less power absorbed to produce power.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

What's the weight difference between you and your GF... could it be you're lighter than your GF??

haha! no offence buddy... :D

but suprising results... :)

should reset the ECU on the one with the CAI

Nah were about the same :rolleyes: she would love me now reading this B) . Thats why it was a good match pretty much everything was even except shes got lighter 17's than my stockies.

or maybe your std car is as fast as your gf;s modded sportivo ;) Maybe faster again with CAI? You never know it man, things happens in funny ways sometimes.

Or maybe she just drives better than you... :D :D :D

or maybe your std car is as fast as your gf;s modded sportivo ;) Maybe faster again with CAI? You never know it man, things happens in funny ways sometimes.

Or maybe she just drives better than you... :D :D :D

Is that a bit of sarcasm there Egene since Lucio is saying the gf driving the 03' with CAI is slower :P . How abt trying both cars out with an RSM? ;) That would be a good idea wouldn't it? Do repeated runs back to back with only one driver (that's you of course!) and let us know what the results are.. even then i think the margin would be so small its up for scrutiny again..

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Haha...don't get me wrong, I'm sure that I'm prolly a worst driver than the both of them. :P

But I think the best way to tell is to have one good consistant driver to test all the cars with either an RSM or G-Tech thingie.

Haha...don't get me wrong, I'm sure that I'm prolly a worst driver than the both of them.  :P

But I think the best way to tell is to have one good consistant driver to test all the cars with either an RSM or G-Tech thingie.

haha.. no egene i think Lucio's gf is a poorer driver otherwise how would a pre-facelift Stivo with CAI lose to a facelifted model :P :P

Haha...don't get me wrong, I'm sure that I'm prolly a worst driver than the both of them.  :P

ahaha that reminds me something in the past