Would you let a computer override you driving to prevent a crash?

Steve

Every year, 1.3 million people are killed and 50 million injured on the world’s roads. Carmakers are racing to create a vehicle that will never crash, but can it be done and will drivers accept a computer that overrides their driving? Would you let a computer override you at the wheel?

At which point the system already works. They're removing themselves.

Unless a computer can predict the future and 100% guarantee I won't crash, I don't want it driving my car for me any more than it already does.

The thing that causes crashes are crap drivers. Remove them and you have no crashes. Simple.

And catastrophic failures, which will still be present with computer control...

Unless a computer can predict the future and 100% guarantee I won't crash, I don't want it driving my car for me any more than it already does.

^this. Whilst computer control may remove some of the possibility of crashing, it can also override (either intentionally or accidentally) actions taken to avoid or remedy a crash (or other dangerous situation that the computer may not be aware of). Also, as long as there are human drivers still around, computer controlled systems will have to be designed extremely conservatively in order to interract with the traffic. Even an extremely well programmed computer would have serious issues with the chaotic and random nature of the human driver.

I don't think so...i start thinking of trains that are computer controlled and they still to run into each other causing havoc,imo there are to many varibles to risk the safety of yourself and loved ones and Joe Public,as Vick said may aswell use public transport.

On Foxtels Discovery channel they have a show called Robot Cars,they use computer controlled vehicles in everyday situations and you should see some of the failures :blink:,but in saying that it does seem this technolgy is on it's way.