United Petroleum 100 Octane Petrol

Just noticed that they sold 100 octane petrol, seems to be cheaper all the 98 octane petrols on the market due to it having 10% ethanol.

Has anyone had any experience with it and would it be ok in my sportivo?

Edit, heres a link

http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/fuels/premium-100

Edited by clifton

We have 10% petrol too, but it's 95. I used to fill with 95 as it was cheaper but now using 98 which has only 5%.

Price is finally same even though 98 is more expensive here. This is because more ethanol means bigger consumption and higher octane means smaller consumption.

Some believe that adding ethanol is bad for your car generally, some say it doesn't matter.

Edited by Speed_Chaser

would be interesting to see how well it did on a long cruise

The thing is there's not many United petty station on the way ? As the main competitor are Caltex on these long trip or should i say "only". Also u have Shell, B/P but thats more of inland.

• 4 weeks later...

I've currently got the United 100 octane in my tank. So far I can't really tell the difference and the economy seems similar. Will report back after i've used a tankful or so.

The extra octane over what the car is tuned for is wasted money. Don't believe the marketing hype. Octane doesn't mean more power or more economy unless the ECU is retuned to suit. Modern cars already run close to stoichiometric to get good fuel consumption figures. The extra octane is only needed if your engine is pinging/knocking. If the car is recommended to run on 95 octane, then putting higher octane fuel in, and paying 20c/L more, isn't going to change a thing.

The extra octane over what the car is tuned for is wasted money. Don't believe the marketing hype. Octane doesn't mean more power or more economy unless the ECU is retuned to suit. Modern cars already run close to stoichiometric to get good fuel consumption figures. The extra octane is only needed if your engine is pinging/knocking. If the car is recommended to run on 95 octane, then putting higher octane fuel in, and paying 20c/L more, isn't going to change a thing.

Well yes and no SuperDave. I'm usually a pretty big skeptic when it comes to fuels, people enjoy praising or hating fuels based on perceived anecdotal evidence rather than scientific fact.

That being said, motors do have knock sensors and will retard your timing if knocking is detected. So you will likely find that most corollas will run fine (albeit slightly retarded) on 91 octane but will advance up upon using 95 - but 98 and 100 is likely no benefit over 95.

Now if they just had petrols of a higher calorific value per litre....

• 2 weeks later...

well after a tankful i'm reporting back, and i can tell you, i can't notice a difference really. fuel economy wasn't much different and neither was power. just stick with regular old 91, it's always the best value for money.

If its just one tank, you can't really make a final conclusion about the 100 octane fuel. Remember you will still have other petrol in the tank and pipes so it may take a few tanks to flush the old petrol out.

As for 100 octane fuel, my mate runs it on his WRX but is constantly tuning his car and says he can tune it better with 100 over 98 (probably not the best english there) but hopefully you get the point.

The other thing is, doesn't Shell and BP 98 still contain ethanol, but it's just in a lower percentage? If so, what is it?

Thanks

Edit: Also just saw you have the ZRE so as per SD above, if 91 is recommended go with that.

Edited by maca_10

• 3 weeks later...

In my LS1 commodore (I know not a corolla) I tried it for 1 tank. My car is mafless tuned for 98. SOTP I though it felt a bit sluggish, and the computer was pulling up to 4 degree timing out (I can fully log it and view it at home). I drive the same trip all the time in the car and fuel economy is always around 12.3 to 12.4, with the 100 octane it jumped to 13.3. I didn't try any flat out performance runs as I was already concerned it was ripping out timing so stayed away from WOT.

10% ethanol is alot, it may start eating your seals.

no it isn't. Most cars that are 'allowed' to run e10 can run an e15 quite safely.

Anything beyond may cause issues.