Aurion wheel limits?

Hi guys,

Been searching the forums but haven't quite found the answer to my question, any help and experiences is much appreciated.

Of course like lots of us I want to push the limits of the wheels :D , I'm not looking for the biggest wheels but lowest possible offset for stance whilst staying flush with the fender.

Car: 2008 ZR6

Wheel setup I'm looking at: 19 x 8.5inch with +30 offset

Coilovers will be used and yes will want to lower as much as possible

I guess my first question is:

On concave wheels, does lowering the offset mean that the spokes are pulled inwards on a sharper angle or do they stay the same. Do I need wider rims to create the angle instead?

This was posted to me:

http://www.customwheeloffset.com/wheel-offset-gallery/241/wheel-offset-2009-toyota-camry-flush-dropped-1-3%22-custom-rims

These are 19 x 9.5inch wheels with +40 offset

Could someone confirm that by me saving 25mm in width of the wheel, means I can add +10mm to offset. I figure that the extra inch is split in two (12.5mm) and placed on either side of the rim, so I should be 2.5mm under this.

Thanks again for your help everyone.

Alex

Thanks guys.

Do you know what would be more concave.

19x8.5 +30 or

19x9.5 +45

Just a bit stumped as to if the extra inch width adds 25mm greater concave or 12.5mm (inch is split onto either side of rim)

Thanks guys.

Do you know what would be more concave.

19x8.5 +30 or

19x9.5 +45

Just a bit stumped as to if the extra inch width adds 25mm greater concave or 12.5mm (inch is split onto either side of rim)

You've added an inch of width, but you've added more than half an inch of positive offset. Thus, there will be less "dish" on the wider wheels, technically (assuming everything else about the wheels are identical).

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update.

My wheels arrived :clap: 19x8.5 with +28 offset, just waiting on the coils and strut bar then install.

I will post everything in the main wheel size thread once all done.

• Like 1

8.5 you should be fine, I have 19x8.5+25 on the front and no dramas, its the 19x9.5+25 that's been fun at the back...

Good to hear. :rolleyes: Stanced eh, I was gonna go stanced but wanted to be able to rotate the wheels, if not flush enough I'll aquire some spacers for the rears.

What's your definition of safe lol?

I haven't had any dramas whatsoever. Car holds to the road way better than stock.
Yeah it's bumpy but it's a low profile on stiff coilovers.

But your original question, did you have anything in particular you were concerned about?
Is it legal, I would say hell no, they're just too wide.

More than likely in an accident situation an insurance investigator would find that due to having stretched tyres your insurance would be void/have to pay a higher excess

Insurance will always try to find a way to not pay you out so yes, be wary and look into what you want to do first an ask your insurance. Totally agree with VipZr6, stretched tires would be an easy out for them I would think. Just depends how far you want to take your hobby and what you are comfortable with.

Insurance will always try to find a way to not pay you out so yes, be wary and look into what you want to do first an ask your insurance. Totally agree with VipZr6, stretched tires would be an easy out for them I would think. Just depends how far you want to take your hobby and what you are comfortable with.

My old lady worked with GIO for a long time.... there wasn't this crazy fad back then thank god. She still shakes her head everytime she see's a car with crazily stretched tyres , shes knows for a fact it has NO insurance.

I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes illegal for a tyre shops to fit them in much the same way an exhaust shop can get done for not putting cats back on upgraded aftermarket systems.

• 4 weeks later...

sorry to hijack ****tywok

Thought this would be within the scope of your questions as well,

So Pedders Perth, Midland did an extra service for me when getting coils installed

They did a test fitment of the new rims 19x9.5 +42mm (Machined down 4mm by Ozzytyres, originally +38mm), no tyres just the rims

What Pedders found was the rears are OK, However Fronts only have a 2-3mm clearance between rim and coils :(

Now my question is is 2-3mm enough? I've read a few other threads on the net, majority of the opinions is a no no on 2-3mm

Called up Epic tyres aka Ozzy tyres where I bought the rims, they suggested spacers or skinner tyres, then the lady receptionist directs me to a guy at the back, he goes on about "what is my query blah blah they fit big wheels to hsv's and the clearance is paper thin, then he asks have I got the answers I was looking for, Says have a good day, bye" and hangs up...

On the upside Coils fitted, Rides about the same as springs but better, most likely due to having 20s

But the handling already feels alot better than the springs, going around a corner already is noticeable controlled

Fantastic mod

Juan

mechanic mate said its ok, BUTTTT as long as the rim don't hit the coils when turning the wheel, full lock

I don't really want to run spacers, 3mm spacers to be exact

So might have to run down to a tyre shop and do another test fitment

I just want the rims on the car lol been waiting since April

Yer man meeeeee toooooo! im hangin to see it fitted up mate :D

i'd be happy with the 3mm clearance :) if you got a smigin of tyre rub on extreme cornering I could live with that..... most cop guard rubbing as the norm under nom driving conditions.