Ongoing rattle problem

Anyone still having problems with vibrations and rattles in the dash/CD deck area? Since Toyota replaced the gear selector cable about 4 months ago the problem came back again. Just got the car back today from Toyota and was told that they can't do anyting about it at the moment as they are waiting for a response from Toyota Australia on a proper and permanent fix. Changing the gear selector cable is not a fix, so anyone who is getting that problem and Toyota says to replace the gear selector cable, tell them that it won;t fix it.

:angry: <_<

Right now I'll just have to wait till they come up with a proper fix which I really doubt they will. I will call them in another month.

Just letting u guys know.

Cheers ;)

black - All of my issues with rattles etc disappeared with the installation of my stereo and my alarm system.

So there must have been a few loose things in there which toyota did not have the time (or even bother) with looking at in my first 1000 K Service. I have almost 6000K's up now and none of the original noises have returned,

I do have a slight rattle at high revs now around the alpine headunit, but this is due to the 3 peice pocket which now sits in there. But it is nothing like it used to be.

Hope you resolve this sooner rather than later :(

Ofcourse there isnt a problem u know its just a "CHARACTERISTIC" a freebee that you recieved when buying your car and even though u were sold the car and never told about this "CHARACTERISTIC" and the one you test drove didnt have this "CHARACTERISTIC" that doesnt matter .... all that matters is you have signed on the dotted line...handed over your money and they'll tell you wat once they can get off their LAZY ASSES they will get it fixed. I mean its only been a measly 9 months that the cars been out :angry::angry: ...... So the answer to your quesiton is yes i still have my rattles and they are just lovely at 4K+ rpms but they sound to be coming a bit lower than the CD area but more near the gear stick. :angry:

Does any of you guys here with the rattle problem have difficulty shifting fast especially 1-2nd at high rpm (above 7500rpm)? A short story from yesterday night's cruise:

I had this low riding Gold MX5 driven up beside me yesterday (he was driving fast) with an exhaust mod i think. It sounded and looked really nice. Suspecting if it could have been an SE version (new turbo version). Being a RWD it jumped me off the line by half a car but by end of 2nd gear i got up beside him then i stopped (70km/h zone). The point is during 1-2nd gear shift i had the problem and had to "granny shift" (wait a little before shifting) and my revs dropped to 5000rpm in 2nd. If only i could shift fast i will be able to land in lift and beat the MX5 by 2nd gear. I am sure if we carried on i will overtake him in 3rd with the 2ZZGE's top end power but this MX5 was'nt slow. In fac i was surprised by how quick it was. The standard MX 5 only has around 105-110kw with but obviously a very light car. I wonder how quick the turbo version is with 121kw and 206nm torque. Anyone here had a little run with them? The gearbox's just too slow.. damn :( .

i still got my ticking problem when idle :( its actaully quite loud when u lift up the bonnet, but looking at the engine (standing in front of the car) with the bonnet up, it comes from the right hand side of the engine block, a constant tick tick tick tick, anyone elses car make that noise?

Not aware of any ticking noises, sorry.

But my rattles were fixed a month ago by my dealer - still hasn't come back. I have been talking to Xoom about this as he has the problem too. Toyota's invoice said they removed and replaced vent brackets, but the service guy also told me they checked/adjusted gear slection cables. I am sure also that tis is where my problems were.

So it's almost as if Toyota are aware of the problem, and are willing to fix it, but won't report it on the official documentation? Maybe because then they'd be faced with a recall.

My advice if you're dealing with Toyota is make sure you get a copy of the service documentation, and ask them to record the gear cable rattle if it's not on there....

The South African owners have the same problem. Apparently Japan did not design the cables properly. A new level cable was developed and is fitted to all new Sportivos and RSi's. These cables are also supplied as a fieldfix. The thought is that the inner gear cable rattles against the outer. NOT TRUE. The outer actually seems to rattle agaisnt the housing on the gear box.

Quite a few of my mates have had theirs changed, only to have these damn rattles reappear after a while.

The fieldfix that I developed, together with the Service manager from my local dealer and the Field Technical manager for the Central Region of Toyota SA is to put some PolyUreathaine (sp) in liquid form on the housing, after removing the cables from the Gearbox end. After a few hours, once the application dries, the cables can be refitted. This fix was performed successfully on my car and my dealer tells me that they have since used the same method with successful results.

The process is simple, involves a lot less surgery than replacing the cables and, best of all, WORKS.

BTW, my car engine is also very noisy when idling. I think its the tappets and don't believe that its a sign of malfunction B)

PS Can you supply more info regarding this steering wheel problem that you guys are experiencing.

I'm also having weird noises from teh engine. knocking and ticking noises. I listened to another Stivo in the garage at Toyota and it had the same noises. I guess it's all the same. The engine is noisy with all the Stivos.

With the steering problem it's only with the early 2003 models. Those who bought their car before May 2003 should have got a letter to have their cars taken back to adjust the steering column.

i bought my car around may, give or take, but didnt recieve it until november. ordered it as soon as it hit the showrooms, tho havent recieved any letters from toyota, what exactly is the problem, and how would u tell you have it?

Not aware of any ticking noises, sorry.

But my rattles were fixed a month ago by my dealer - still hasn't come back. I have been talking to Xoom about this as he has the problem too. Toyota's invoice said they removed and replaced vent brackets, but the service guy also told me they checked/adjusted gear slection cables. I am sure also that tis is where my problems were.

So it's almost as if Toyota are aware of the problem, and are willing to fix it, but won't report it on the official documentation? Maybe because then they'd be faced with a recall.

My advice if you're dealing with Toyota is make sure you get a copy of the service documentation, and ask them to record the gear cable rattle if it's not on there....

Trust me... toyota ARE aware of the problem and DO know how to fix it... but they are trying to find a cheaper solution as the alternate way would result in a pretty major recall. Solutions suggested by others here would be a much easier smaller recall if it would fix the problem permanently.

I find the Sportivo's steering too light and sensitive and has too much kickback. I also noticed recently when braking especially going downhill, before you come to a complete stop there is a slight shudder in the steering wheel. Like as if you were on uneven or loose gravel roads. Felt wierd but other than that, the steering has no problems. Mine is Dec 03 built. And again, anybody having gearbox problems like mine? Is that also a characteristic of the 6 Speed like the rattles??

I find the Sportivo's steering too light and sensitive and has too much kickback. I also noticed recently when braking especially going downhill, before you come to a complete stop there is a slight shudder in the steering wheel. Like as if you were on uneven or loose gravel roads. Felt wierd but other than that, the steering has no problems. Mine is Dec 03 built. And again, anybody having gearbox problems like mine? Is that also a characteristic of the 6 Speed like the rattles??

Hmmm the brake thing may well be the ABS? Not sure... i'm not too mechanicly with it. I think that did happen once to me today but that was more to do with me being late on the clutch when coming to a set of traffic lights.

Personally i find the steering a lot better than what some of the articles i have read suggest.

i'm not sure about with stock wheels but with 17s on the sportivo and 17s on my astra, the astra's steering was really numb coz of the electro-powersteering. i think the sportivo's steering is fairly good for what it is.

I find the Sportivo's steering too light and sensitive and has too much kickback.  I also noticed recently when braking especially going downhill, before you come to a complete stop there is a slight shudder in the steering wheel.  Like as if you were on uneven or loose gravel roads.  Felt wierd but other than that, the steering has no problems.  Mine is Dec 03 built.  And again, anybody having gearbox problems like mine?  Is that also a characteristic of the 6 Speed like the rattles??

Hmmm the brake thing may well be the ABS? Not sure... i'm not too mechanicly with it. I think that did happen once to me today but that was more to do with me being late on the clutch when coming to a set of traffic lights.

Personally i find the steering a lot better than what some of the articles i have read suggest.

No mate, not the ABS because i wasn't hard on the brakes at all. Just braking normally coming up to a red light but can feel the slight shudder (slight steering wheel movement, moving left and right quickly!) in the steering. Not sure if this is the steering problem Toyota recalled the Stivos for. Feels like something to do with the brakes.. Will find out soon.

I find the Sportivo's steering too light and sensitive and has too much kickback.  I also noticed recently when braking especially going downhill, before you come to a complete stop there is a slight shudder in the steering wheel.  Like as if you were on uneven or loose gravel roads.  Felt wierd but other than that, the steering has no problems.  Mine is Dec 03 built.  And again, anybody having gearbox problems like mine?  Is that also a characteristic of the 6 Speed like the rattles??

No mate, not the ABS because i wasn't hard on the brakes at all. Just braking normally coming up to a red light but can feel the slight shudder (slight steering wheel movement, moving left and right quickly!) in the steering. Not sure if this is the steering problem Toyota recalled the Stivos for. Feels like something to do with the brakes.. Will find out soon.

It does sound very much like the ABS though. Any shudder through the brake pedal at the same time as the steering wheel? I understand you weren't hard on the brakes but yeah, perhaps the ABS is set up wrong? *shrugz* as i said before... not even fully sure how the ABS is set up to kick in... but if you are getting shudders through the steering wheel it does sound very brake related.

Actually, i think i may have read somewhere in the manual that the ABS sometimes tests itself upon normal braking and does occasionally give you that shudder. I will get back to you on that. Will go consult the manual :P haha but once again i could be very very WRONG :P

i was dreaming :P

Hehe, Tivo Matt good try with the ABS though but no shudder through the brake pedal so i doubt that is whats causing it ;) .

SInce Pecker has had that problem too, i would say its the brakes. Probably needs some adjustment or balancing. Will get it looked at on my 5000km service.

Thanks guys! :lol:

OK Boys im making a shopping list to send to toyota so what do i need:

1) New Designed Gear Selector Cables

2) New Brake Pads

3) New Shocks

4) New Steering rack

5) Possibly New ABS kit

6) An ANTI-TICKING engine ...maybe if thats whats actually ticking

Anything else i need to add ???? :P :P :P :P :P

OK Boys im making a shopping list to send to toyota so what do i need:

1) New Designed Gear Selector Cables

2) New Brake Pads