Aurion water pump

John1982

42 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I like your cardboard box idea too. Very novel approach.

That was an improvisation on the day. I was more considering numbering/marking the bolts and the relevant holes but you need a good permanent marker/paint pen, space etc. If markings get blurred, is that 1 or 7, 3 or 8, 5 or 6, 6 or 9 etc.

Previously, I have carefully placed parts in a tray in an ordered sequence then accidentally given the tray a boot. Good reason why this time when I removed parts, I put them in the cabin. 

I was also thinking at the time if there had been a photo or diagram of the actual part on the water pump box that I could have poked some holes in that box to use for the water pump bolts. I have kept that thought in mind so in future I may print out a photo or diagram then paste onto cardboard to ensure right bolt goes into the right hole.

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

Previously, I have carefully placed parts in a tray in an ordered sequence then accidentally given the tray a boot. Good reason why this time when I removed parts, I put them in the cabin. 

That would be a very frustrating moment, with plenty of expletives from me lol !!

I was also thinking at the time if there had been a photo or diagram of the actual part on the water pump box that I could have poked some holes in that box to use for the water pump bolts. I have kept that thought in mind so in future I may print out a photo or diagram then paste onto cardboard to ensure right bolt goes into the right hole.

Great Idea.  A Pictorial template that way you can marry up all the bolts to the correct holes. Another excellent idea. 👌

10 hours ago, campbeam said:

Thanks for the video Ash. It's content like this which helps prevent others from making stupid mistakes. It demonstrates how important it is to do careful research and preparation. It's a big job, not impossible, can be daunting to the uninitiated that's for sure. If you can follow the correct procedure you can't make any mistakes.

Never knew about the O-ring in the water pump housing though. Did you replace you're one Ash ? He also used Dielectric grease to condition the O-ring. I wonder if that is something the factory use and what type of O-ring, Nitrile or Viton. I'm going to guess Nitrile as the old one was black and the Viton is the upgrade to this. Would this be correct ?

Note how the tensioner pulley bolt is a reverse thread. So if you're going to remove it in the same manner as the water pump pulley or the other idler pulleys, there's going to be a lot of cursing when you can't figure out why it won't budge lol.

I also like that chain strap vice grip tool to lock and hold the pump pulley. Gotta see about getting one of those babies !!

I did not replace the O-ring but I did use some vasoline to condition it. I do not know about what type of O-ring except that it was black. More than likely with my older 2006 Aurion, it is going to be Nitrile.

A chain strap vice grip would be a handy tool. However, I did not need it and I do have a few oil filter strap tools that could have been used.

While there was still tension on the serpentine belt, I was able to loosen the 4 retaining bolts on the pump pulley. Torque on those bolts in not high so did not need the backup plan of using a screwdriver through one of the pulley holes then hold in place against the pump housing. Just another item in the preparation and planning ahead.

On 1/13/2020 at 5:00 PM, AurionX2 said:

Yeah, welcome to the club 🙂 I was $600 out of pocket for this at an independent when it happened, so $750 at Toyota isn't that much of a rip-off. While it's belly up get them to do the VVT oil line, it's a recall item and should be free of charge if your car is still running on the original rubber crap.

That got done back in 2008, aslo has the Cooling oil lines to external oil cooler replaced out of warranty, 2020, still going to strong with 89000 klm, I hardly drive it now.

On 4/9/2021 at 7:10 AM, campbeam said:

I did not replace the O-ring but I did use some vasoline to condition it.

I'm guessing if the O-ring isn't damaged in any way I would say that it could be reused but if you have new ones on hand It would make sense to just replace it. I have a small o-ring kit with an assortment of sizes and just need to find out if they are compatible.

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I'm guessing if the O-ring isn't damaged in any way I would say that it could be reused but if you have new ones on hand It would make sense to just replace it. I have a small o-ring kit with an assortment of sizes and just need to find out if they are compatible.

I don't like reusing things like O-rings if I can help it, always replace, but each to their own of course 🙂

When I had my water pump replaced it came with new O-rings. Wasn't making noise but it was weeping coolant so probably didn't have much more to go in it. 

23 hours ago, nzzr6 said:

I don't like reusing things like O-rings if I can help it, always replace, but each to their own of course 🙂

When I had my water pump replaced it came with new O-rings. Wasn't making noise but it was weeping coolant so probably didn't have much more to go in it. 

I had forgotten that the new water pump [NPW brand] did come with new O-rings and a gasket. I must have been thinking about re-using the existing O-rings if they had not been included.

Just checked the box and the old O-rings, gasket and pump were inside.

I had forgotten that the new water pump [NPW brand] did come with new O-rings and a gasket. I must have been thinking about re-using the existing O-rings if they had not been included.

Just checked the box and the old O-rings, gasket and pump were inside.

Haha, you're right. It's been a long while since purchasing mine you prompted me to dig mine out and take a look for myself.

Yep. Upon checking I can confirm this. I also purchased a Genuine Toyota gasket some time back as it was going cheap so I had this in the box with the NPW contents. I also noticed the cardboard for the NPW gasket has had the sticker carefully razor bladed off. Not sure why, but I'll be using the Toyota Gasket anyway when it's time to replace my pump. 

Refresh my memory. Where does the larger O-ring go ?

20210411_093249.jpg

20210411_093256.jpg

Edited by Tony Prodigy

5 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Refresh my memory. Where does the larger O-ring go ?

Have another look at the other side of your water pump. You will then notice the groove in the round section offset above the water pulley. 

Also at the 5:46 time of the YouTube video that I posted, you will be able to see the O-ring still in position on the water pump housing. This is after the thermostat housing has been removed.  

Edited by campbeam
Correct spelling mistake and clarify

13 hours ago, campbeam said:

Have another look at the other side of your water pump. You will then notice the groove in the round section offset above the water pulley. 

Also at the 5:46 time of the YouTube video that I posted, you will be able to see the O-ring still in position on the water pump housing. This is after the thermostat housing has been removed.  

Roger that :thumbsup:

• 6 months later...

Greetings Gentleman..

Just a quick message..

I'm going to get my Aurion Presaras water pump replaced, as a bit of a preventative measure. I travel long distances and don't want it failing in the middle of nowhere. So at the moment I'm at a friend's place in Lithgo NSW..

I asked for a quote from the Local Lithgo Toyota here, and was pleasantly surprised to find it will only be $688, for that job..$390 of that is Labour..Im going to get it done next week..

I'm just so relieved it's cheaper than I thought it would be..😃

1 hour ago, Bigmike62 said:

Greetings Gentleman..

Just a quick message..

I'm going to get my Aurion Presaras water pump replaced, as a bit of a preventative measure. I travel long distances and don't want it failing in the middle of nowhere. So at the moment I'm at a friend's place in Lithgo NSW..

I asked for a quote from the Local Lithgo Toyota here, and was pleasantly surprised to find it will only be $688, for that job..$390 of that is Labour..Im going to get it done next week..

I'm just so relieved it's cheaper than I thought it would be..😃

Good thinking Big Mike. Get it done and put your mind to rest. You can take some extra comfort with it being done by Toyota using Genuine Parts too.

• Like 1

Hi Mike, yes a good price considering it is a dealership doing it, nothing worse after being so long unable to go anywhere than worrying about being stranded, so well done on the forward thinking mate

KAA

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Bigmike62 said:

Does anyone know how long the replacement water pump will last..?

Is it subject to failure as well ?

Cheers Gents..

Hard to say exactly Big Mike, but It should last quite a long time if it's either Genuine Parts or an OEM equivalent. Made in Japan usually means a much better than average reliability. They may have even improved the quality since, so you never know. 

My Aurion is approaching 130K and my pump is still fine with no funny sounds either, so hopefully should go for a bit longer. I have a spare pump ready to go anyway, so I'm not too worried if it packs up. Just don't let it happen when it's on the road somewhere.

• Thanks 1

Interesting thing happened today at Toyota, they had allotted 3 hours labour for the job, but at the 3 hour mark, they came and said it took all that time to get the pump off, and car will not be ready until next day..!! They gave me a free hire car for the return journey home..they also said, that the bloke responsible for the quote hasn't calculated enough time for the job..they have said though, that they will adhere to the original quote of $688..

At no extra cost to me..

😀😀😀

Interesting thing happened today at Toyota, they had allotted 3 hours labour for the job, but at the 3 hour mark, they came and said it took all that time to get the pump off, and car will not be ready until next day..!! They gave me a free hire car for the return journey home..they also said, that the bloke responsible for the quote hasn't calculated enough time for the job..they have said though, that they will adhere to the original quote of $688..

At no extra cost to me..

😀😀😀

I reckon they gave it to an apprentice or an inexperienced tech and it took longer than what the original guy quoted it. I'm sure it's not the first time they quoted a water pump replacement on an Aurion and so I would believe them when they say 3 hrs, because a shop equipped with fancy tools and car hoists everywhere should have it done in 3 hrs or less if they knew what they're doing. So hell yeah they should adhere to the original quote and you should never allow them to come back at you for a variation either. I'd tell them where to go pretty quickly. They did the right thing in the end because it was their problem, not yours. Glad they looked after you Big Mike :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Not a 2GRFE, but I recently spent 4 hours beating a waterpump out of the block of my other car.  It was held on with 3 bolts and 14 years of previous owners sins with cooling system maintenance.

It is barely a 2 hour job otherwise - and that includes removing a headlight to get access to the pump.

So yeah, just maybe it was a job going pear shaped because of circumstances that normally would be predicted.

Access isn’t that bad, but if the pump is corroded in place then the game changes a lot.

• Thanks 1

Hi Gents, 

7 hours labour and still not finished replacing the water pump, here at Lithgo Toyota..sitting here waiting..they re- confirmed that they are not going to charge me any more than the $688 they quoted for the job..thankfully..

They've been very considerate actually.. free hire car last night and haven't asked me for more money..Let's see how long this takes,.....🤔

Edited by Bigmike62

Hi Gents, 

7 hours labour and still not finished replacing the water pump, here at Lithgo Toyota..sitting here waiting..they re- confirmed that they are not going to charge me any more than the $688 they quoted for the job..thankfully..

They've been very considerate actually.. free hire car last night and haven't asked me for more money..Let's see how long this takes,.....🤔

Wow. I am speechless. Something may have gone wrong I suspect Big Mike.

Tony Prodigy..

No idea..I waited and eventually they came out and said the serpentine belt got shredded..so they've ordered another one to be delivered asap from Sydney..I got the Hire Car again for free overnight..🤔

Tony Prodigy..

No idea..I waited and eventually they came out and said the serpentine belt got shredded..so they've ordered another one to be delivered asap from Sydney..I got the Hire Car again for free overnight..🤔

Mate, I'm 100% sure now they had an apprentice on it. SHeesh, that's a shocker.

• Like 2