Aurion water pump

John1982

55 minutes ago, Bigmike62 said:

eventually they came out and said the serpentine belt got shredded..

I suspect that they have put the serpentine belt on incorrectly and the belt got shredded when they started the engine to check for any coolant leaks etc. To compound the issue they may have inadvertently swapped the sides of the belt.

Before removing the serpentine on my Aurion, I had a diagram of how the belt threaded over or under the pulleys. Following a tip from a YouTube video, I also marked the outside of the belt so it got replaced exactly as before. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, campbeam said:

I suspect that they have put the serpentine belt on incorrectly and the belt got shredded when they started the engine to check for any coolant leaks etc. To compound the issue they may have inadvertently swapped the sides of the belt.

This has to be a first for a Toyota dealership. How can this happen ? It looks like amatuer hour over there.

I feel sorry for Big Mike having to put up with this appalling situation.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

This has to be a first for a Toyota dealership. How can this happen ? It looks like amatuer hour over there.

I feel sorry for Big Mike having to put up with this appalling situation.

Actually, I am waiting for the next instalment in this saga. I suspect that they have yet to complete bleeding any air out of the coolant system. You have to have the engine running to do this properly. The Car Nut has posted a YouTube video about how to do this for the 2GR-FE engine.

After replacing the water pump on my Aurion, I was specifically looking for any coolant leaks in the next few days and weeks. I also do a regular check of the coolant reservoir, power steering reservoir, engine oil and battery.

I am sure that Big Mike will be doing the same and particularly looking at the level in the coolant reservoir.

• Like 1

Greetings Gents...

Finally got my car back today..the water pump seems to be working fine. No leaks at present..

Coolant level is also fine..

Apparently this job took 8 and half hours, over 2 days..They weren't impressed with the bloke who under quoted the job at 3 hours..lol

I still only had to pay the original quote price of $688..thankfully..

Service lady said they had not done one of these water pump replacements before..

I'm just thankful it's done..And I bet they are too..🤣

Edited by Bigmike62
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Bigmike62 said:

Service lady said they had not done one of these water pump replacements before..

You learn a lot from doing a replacement the 1st time. Next time I am sure that the same fellow will be able to do it in about 4 hours and no shredded belt. 

• Like 1

That's great news Big Mike. Glad they got it sorted for you. I am very surprised they'd never done one before being a Toyota dealership. You'd think there would be a fair share of 2GR-FE powered vehicles in Lithgow.

Ah well, we all live and learn I guess.

Happy motoring mate :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Scary stuff.

I was quoted 4 hours to do this job by my dealer before I bought my Aurion & reckons it's a fairly straight forward job & engine doesn't come out. Like Tony said, they've screwed up somehow, most likely an incompetent apprentice or novice who doesn't know cars. Real scary. Document everything just in case something goes wrong after you get your car back.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ZZT86 said:

Scary stuff.

I was quoted 4 hours to do this job by my dealer before I bought my Aurion & reckons it's a fairly straight forward job & engine doesn't come out. Like Tony said, they've screwed up somehow, most likely an incompetent apprentice or novice who doesn't know cars. Real scary. Document everything just in case something goes wrong after you get your car back.

I had mine done at a non dealer mechanic, they told me the guy doing the job was an experienced ex-Toyota tech. Took them just about the whole day to do the job from me dropping the car off to picking it up. Although I'm not sure if they started on it first thing in the morning or later on. Goes without any issues though. 

Edited by nzzr6
  • Like 1

Just adding..

I asked if that repair comes with a warranty.

They said 2 years on parts and Labour..

Not much good to me though, as when the Queensland border opens in December I'll be driving home to Toowoomba..🤔 Unless I could take it to another Toyota dealer up there to fix under that warranty ?

I have no idea on that one.. 

Cheers Gents..

I had a similar experience - 3 hours quoted labour from Bridgestone, so around $550 all up. They significantly underquoted the labour - probably took them double that. Was apparently a lot of corrosion. 

• Like 1

From memory the Toyota warranty is on the repair and will be honoured by any dealership. 

Usually a workshop will take all day doing a job like a water pump just purely in a comfort and safety basis, let the engine bay cool off a bit, drop the water, let stuff dry and cool some more (usually while working some more accessible tasks) then finally when things are “warm” or even cold get into the tight spaces and do the work.  
Then fill it up, let it sit, check for leaks, warm it up following any bleed process, check for leaks, road test, check for leaks, adjust levels and push out the door.

Quite often they’ll slip another basic service or two between tasks, or if the customer need to sign off in an extra part or two.

Edited by Sebastian Woodhouse
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, nzzr6 said:

Took them just about the whole day to do the job from me dropping the car off to picking it up. Although I'm not sure if they started on it first thing in the morning or later on. Goes without any issues though. 

Most places like that are allowing one day to allow for any unforeseen circumstances unless it's a fleet car, then it's open season because they can book 8 hrs on a job that they only put 2 hrs into. Dirty dogs they are. I know first hand because it happens with our company vehicles.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bigmike62 said:

Just adding..

I asked if that repair comes with a warranty.

They said 2 years on parts and Labour..

Not much good to me though, as when the Queensland border opens in December I'll be driving home to Toowoomba..🤔 Unless I could take it to another Toyota dealer up there to fix under that warranty ?

I have no idea on that one.. 

Cheers Gents..

I'm pretty sure the warranty is a National one Big Mike. If you have to take it to another dealer for warranty, they can simply bill the dealer who did the work. They can't expect you to drive the back interstate to have the work performed. Imagine that ? :laugh:

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys for all your help with this water pump issue...I'm relieved to now know that the warranty can be honoured at any Toyota service centre..

I drove it to Bathurst yesterday, a return trip of about 80 kilometres..

Everything went well, no signs of any coolant leaking out..so fingers crossed, they may have done a good job..

Cheers..

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Another video by The Car Nut. This video at the 17:00 minute mark shows how to lock back the tensioner pulley to then check the idler pulleys and the water pump bearing. Need less to say he makes it look so simple. I fully expect that he easily has much stronger arm muscles than myself. 

• Like 2

LOL yes add in the many years of experience and knowledge he at least makes it easy to understand what is required and always entertaining videos

Thanks Ashley for the post

KAA

"Hellooo and Welcome"

Love his intro. I have to say, did anyone notice how crusty that engine was ? All that Winter salt on the roads in an unforgiving climate over there, who would want to own a nice car because every nut, bolt, clamps, chassis etc will end up crusty rusty. Yuk. I hate that. 

I was also surprised how he was able to detect the start of a leaky head gasket on the front bank, where the coolant had begun to weep leaving that trace of corrosion on the head/block junction. Borescope's are an invaluable piece of kit. I ended up purchasing one myself some time back too.

I was also surprised to hear that the tensioner pulley only comes with the tensioner and not a separate item. That's pretty strange, because we can get them here separately. Pretty expensive pulley in my opinion. All that unnecessary cost for the sake of a 5 dollar bearing !!

The tensioner lock is a very handy trick, especially if you're wrenching by  yourself, which in my case is 100% of the time !

• Like 2

Great video. I ended up watching the whole thing. Funny how he comments on the airbox clip being broken. Must be common as that clip is broken on my Aurion as well. The airbox still seals pretty well without it.

5 hours ago, Rimsy said:

Funny how he comments on the airbox clip being broken. Must be common as that clip is broken on my Aurion as well. The airbox still seals pretty well without it.

Nothing breaks normally without some form of human intervention. If it's clipped and unclipped correctly and not levered off with a screw driver, then in likelihood it will remain intact.

On 1/23/2022 at 11:17 AM, campbeam said:

Another video by The Car Nut. This video at the 17:00 minute mark shows how to lock back the tensioner pulley to then check the idler pulleys and the water pump bearing. Need less to say he makes it look so simple. I fully expect that he easily has much stronger arm muscles than myself. 

I wonder if there'll be a follow up video of him actually doing the water pump-radiator job. Would be good viewing.

• Thanks 1

Hi Tony, Yes enjoyed this video as well, I commented on his site that the interior destruction of that 2011 Avalon looked like wolverine had gone nuts in there. I would have walked away very fast if I saw that interior and would have thought wow if it is that bad inside what is the rest like. Maybe they will spend the extra dollars doing what he suggested as a new water-pump and idler pully and a radiator will be a few dollars but at least you have an expert and honest man doing the work, I guess it will be a watch and see if they do decide to do that route considering they already spent a packet on all the brakes and sway bars etc.

Stay Safe Mate

KAA

On 1/24/2022 at 12:52 PM, Tony Prodigy said:

I wonder if there'll be a follow up video of him actually doing the water pump-radiator job. Would be good viewing.

This YouTube video is a good one about the water pump replacement. Worthwhile having as a reference when you actually do the replacement hpefully quite a few years away. 

• Thanks 1

I told you all it was an easy job. It only took him 12 minutes and 2 seconds !! 😆

Nah, seriously folks. That was actually a good video demonstration. He nailed it perfectly. Pays to have the right tools too. Make your life a bit easier. I dig that chain wrench that he used to hold the water pump pulley. Also those long reach hose pliers looked pretty snazzy.

Notice how beautiful and clean the water passage was when he removed the old water pump ? SLL Pink did a great job protecting the aluminum there. Looked as new as day one.

He mentions to add some RTV after popping in the water pump O-ring. Is that how the factory do it ? I don't see why you should because the O-ring will seal right ?. 

All in all, a very diligent approach. Great job.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

He mentions to add some RTV after popping in the water pump O-ring. Is that how the factory do it ? I don't see why you should because the O-ring will seal right ?. 

I recall using some vasoline on that O-ring as a lubricant to help the O-ring seat properly and hold it in place. Last thing that you want to happen is the O-ring not sealing then have to remove the water pump because of the leak. All part of the research and preparation with that tip/advice being mentioned in an internet post or YouTube video.

• Like 2