16 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Hi Tommy, all ok on the Western Front, despite being in lockdown and cerfew'd too. 

Bit surprised to hear about the Ryco product. They are usually the first port of call for aftermarket choice. I guess they aren't immune to declining quality control we've been accustomed to lately. I don't know why this is really. It's such a shame.

I haven't searched out Mann filters for the Aurion, but I have heard they are exceptional quality. I have always used the Mahle brand oil filters for my M3 and they are just supreme quality. You have to love German attention to detail. Quality is second to none.

During my transmission service I used the cork gasket that came with the kit and later had me thinking that wasn't a good idea. I think the service kit was a waste of money to be honest. The original strainer was perfectly fine as was the original Toyota gasket. Not that I would re use an old gasket, but I should've just bought another Toyota original gasket. I have done so since and it's in storage awaiting my next pan drain service. I'm going to toss the cork gasket in the rubbish.

As for Fuel filters, 50 series owners have extremely little choice. It's either Genuine Toyota or Coopers, who it seems has the sole right to reproduce the 50 series item. Ryco and the rest don't have one in their catalogue. I found out the hard way and I've documented this in the Aurion forum. Very frustrating stuff, so I feel your pain having to do things twice.

I do use ryco microshield cabin filters though where applicable. They're solid in that regard. Mann-Hummel & Mahle are just consistent quality. Yeah i checked my replacement strainer which i replaced genuine last trans service, there was nothing wrong with it. So i used it. I'd probably replace it after 80k - 100k though just as a preventative. Cooper ?, you mean Wesfil haha, NipponMax are great filters funny enough, but i just stick to my Mann. The weight difference between a Z516 & Mann equivalent is actually quite shocking with how much thicker the case & how much more filter media there is.

I'm also fitting a Mann (provent) catch can to the Yota & G6E.

I use mann because half of the price of ryco is marketing, most of the profit is ryco, i've seen the pricing structure internally. It's beyond a joke

Mann-Hummel oil filter for your aurion will be i'd guess a "HU 7019 Z"

Cabin - "CUK 1919"

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Hi Tommy, all ok on the Western Front, despite being in lockdown and cerfew'd too. 

Bit surprised to hear about the Ryco product. They are usually the first port of call for aftermarket choice. I guess they aren't immune to declining quality control we've been accustomed to lately. I don't know why this is really. It's such a shame.

I haven't searched out Mann filters for the Aurion, but I have heard they are exceptional quality. I have always used the Mahle brand oil filters for my M3 and they are just supreme quality. You have to love German attention to detail. Quality is second to none.

During my transmission service I used the cork gasket that came with the kit and later had me thinking that wasn't a good idea. I think the service kit was a waste of money to be honest. The original strainer was perfectly fine as was the original Toyota gasket. Not that I would re use an old gasket, but I should've just bought another Toyota original gasket. I have done so since and it's in storage awaiting my next pan drain service. I'm going to toss the cork gasket in the rubbish.

As for Fuel filters, 50 series owners have extremely little choice. It's either Genuine Toyota or Coopers, who it seems has the sole right to reproduce the 50 series item. Ryco and the rest don't have one in their catalogue. I found out the hard way and I've documented this in the Aurion forum. Very frustrating stuff, so I feel your pain having to do things twice.

I stopped using Ryco oil filters a number of years ago, when they started being made in China...

4 minutes ago, Novicebutnice said:

I stopped using Ryco oil filters a number of years ago, when they started being made in China...

Exception of cabin filters still being good, wesfil restrict too much flow. And genuine ?, don't even get me started 😂😂

My mechanic of 30+ years has had less issues with Wesfil/NipponMax (different manufacturing plants) than Ryco themselves.

16 minutes ago, TommyM said:

Exception of cabin filters still being good, wesfil restrict too much flow. And genuine ?, don't even get me started 😂😂

My mechanic of 30+ years has had less issues with Wesfil/NipponMax (different manufacturing plants) than Ryco themselves.

I also prefer the Ryco cabin filter over the genuine :-)

20 minutes ago, Novicebutnice said:

I also prefer the Ryco cabin filter over the genuine 🙂

I put k&n panel filters in my yota & G6E

Just alot easier on maintenance, reusable, washable & much better seal !

44 minutes ago, TommyM said:

I just very recently swapped out the Ryco air filter for a Wesfil unit and from what I can see, the Wesfill item looks to be well made and possibly more surface area, ie taller pleat block ? I think, although I didn't measure them. Not sure why they put a pre filter media over it though. I'm going to monitor it to see if it starts to affect air flow.

20210905_074536.jpg

20210905_074528.jpg

20210905_074603.jpg

20210905_074628.jpg

20210905_074705.jpg

3 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I just very recently swapped out the Ryco air filter for a Wesfil unit and from what I can see, the Wesfill item looks to be well made and possibly more surface area, ie taller pleat block ? I think, although I didn't measure them. Not sure why they put a pre filter media over it though. I'm going to monitor it to see if it starts to affect air flow.

20210905_074536.jpg

20210905_074528.jpg

20210905_074603.jpg

20210905_074628.jpg

20210905_074705.jpg

If i knew i'd tell you. But in my opinion the factory one doesn't have a pre-filter, so why add partial restriction ?

Also when it comes to trans gaskets, Hylomar is your friend. If it can stop rolls-royce's leaking, it can definitely stop a Toyota haha !

I actually contemplated swapping my G6E for a 05' Lexus ES300 tbh 😂😂

9 minutes ago, TommyM said:

Quad figure state, how are you holding up ?

Ok under the circumstances. It's becoming pretty frustrating not being able to move more than 5 kays except for essential travel. So it's basically been, Home-work, work-home, home-work, work home. Proper groundhog day stuff. While the entitled, arrogant snobs on the Eastern side get to galavant around and enjoy the weekend at the beach while the rest of us have to shoulder a massive burden THEY imposed on us. The virus sprung from their corner of the State and quickly spread and they could care less. Go figure...

8 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

You never know, your G6E might become a collectors item the way stupid car prices are going lol !

LOL i mean.... unlike the FG-X's mines an authentic german made ZF 6HP26. Perks of an FG MKII i guess.... they perfected it then ruined it with a very controversial refresh & Chinese clone of a ZF with a much lower torque handling capacity. I still might just keep it because i can. It's never really let me down besides the intermittent misfire i was having (coils breaking down after 150k), common FG thing. Not as bad compared to B-Series though. So i replaced'em with genuine Ford **cough cough** VDO & called it a day. Needless to say the ZF was not happy, god it played up big time haha !

But an ES300 with under 100k on it, so hard not to haha !

Edited by TommyM

6 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I'll keep an eye on it and rip it off if it becomes a problem.

How much are Toyota asking genuine for an air filter ?, outta curiosity 

8 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Ok under the circumstances. It's becoming pretty frustrating not being able to move more than 5 kays except for essential travel. So it's basically been, Home-work, work-home, home-work, work home. Proper groundhog day stuff. While the entitled, arrogant snobs on the Eastern side get to galavant around and enjoy the weekend at the beach while the rest of us have to shoulder a massive burden THEY imposed on us. The virus sprung from their corner of the State and quickly spread and they could care less. Go figure...

I'm not gonna comment, but believe me i feel for you man. Typical bunch of f**kwits. Half of'em still probably get gapped by an Aurion anyway 😂😂😂

15 minutes ago, TommyM said:

LOL i mean.... unlike the FG-X's mines an authentic german made ZF 6HP26. Perks of an FG MKII i guess.... they perfected it then ruined it with a very controversial refresh & Chinese clone of a ZF with a much lower torque handling capacity. I still might just keep it because i can. It's never really let me down besides the intermittent misfire i was having (coils breaking down after 150k), common FG thing. Not as bad compared to B-Series though. So i replaced'em with genuine Ford **cough cough** VDO & called it a day. Needless to say the ZF was not happy, god it played up big time haha !

But an ES300 with under 100k on it, so hard not to haha !

If it's a good car hang onto it. You'll probably not find a better one out there if you sold it, and that's if sellers remorse kicks in too.
I suffer from that affliction. I get attached to my things and find it difficult to part with the better part of my stuff.

I know nothing about those modern Falcons to be honest, but my favourite was the FG. Looked the nicest I reckon.

49 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

If it's a good car hang onto it. You'll probably not find a better one out there if you sold it, and that's if sellers remorse kicks in too.
I suffer from that affliction. I get attached to my things and find it difficult to part with the better part of my stuff.

I know nothing about those modern Falcons to be honest, but my favourite was the FG. Looked the nicest I reckon.

Yeah exactly. And in reality they're very mechanical which is what i like (hydraulic power steering, etc). Being an FG, the barra was truely sorted by that point, you hardly ever pull a rocker cover off one. They improved the seal, b series always leak lol. So in saying that i know there's alot of potential for power, aftermarket support, etc. I'm glad i've got the cashmere interior though. The Aurions are a great car but boy do they struggle putting the power down lol

9 hours ago, TommyM said:

Yeah exactly. And in reality they're very mechanical which is what i like (hydraulic power steering, etc). Being an FG, the barra was truely sorted by that point, you hardly ever pull a rocker cover off one. They improved the seal, b series always leak lol. So in saying that i know there's alot of potential for power, aftermarket support, etc. I'm glad i've got the cashmere interior though. The Aurions are a great car but boy do they struggle putting the power down lol

I agree mate. You have to apply the power in a linear fashion and not stomp it. That's the downside of FWD. But once it's off, it pulls like a train ! Most impressive.

Just on the Ford again, yes, the Barra engine is a very coveted engine and the HP potential is absolutely ridiculous. Built like a tank. Something else to be proud of owning an FG or those preceding it with a Barra.

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I agree mate. You have to apply the power in a linear fashion and not stomp it. That's the downside of FWD. But once it's off, it pulls like a train ! Most impressive.

Just on the Ford again, yes, the Barra engine is a very coveted engine and the HP potential is absolutely ridiculous. Built like a tank. Something else to be proud of owning an FG or those preceding it with a Barra.

Yeah the disadvantages of an open diff up front. If i stomp the Avalon, it will break traction but hook up nicely & just pull. No traction control on the old gal thankfully, the tyres definitely help haha !. 

It's just a well balanced engine, naturally being a straight 6 ! 

Torque has always been bragging rights over the respective rivals. 

You'd be suprised, if you know the right people you can get it for 30% off. Rang my mob retail on one headlight for my Avalon is $480. I'm getting'em for $300 each, mind you the buy in price to them is like $243. I've asked all the questions dw. 

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Full mug retail. Trade isn't much cheaper is it ? What, like 10% off ??

How does the average punter get trade ? Is it possible ?

Tony why were you awake at the bull ***** time of 4am ? Lol