Koni for sportivo fitted on Levin

DANZZT231

After seeing TRD141 and Shaohaok Sportivo, I realised when fitted with Low King Spring it dropped nicely. This isn't the case with Levin model. TRD141 suggested that the strut is lower on Sportivo, hence more drop then the levin.

I am planning to fit Koni Shocks very soon, but I am thinking to fit the one for Sportivo instead of the Levin. Will the drop be the same as it is with the Sportivo fitted with Low king?

If anyone thought "hey his car is low already", well, yeah it is. but I cutted my kingspring. I have no complain whatsoever with my current ride because it outhandled the standard spring and the low king spring. But for a piece of mind, after seeing the drop on Sportivo with the low king, I am now finally able to see the best alternative which previously unavailable.

Opinion needed!

Apparently the 'tivo on one inch taller rims (16" vs 15" ) ends up one inch LOWER than the levin, thats a net difference of 2"..surely the struts'd HAVE to be the same amount shorter ???

Or am I missing something here..?? :unsure:

koni yellow adjustable shocks have adjustable perches.. so infact u can adjust height! :)

the front has 2 perches,

a) stock height

B) 1" lower than stock

the back has 3 perches

a) approx 1" higher than stock

B) stock

c) approx 1" lower than stock

so effectively, if u have a 1" drop from your springs, you could get a 2" drop simply by lowering the perches!

HTH

well it is not really adjustable so to speak, as it is more of a set the height of the perch then never touch it again, unless u want to dismantle the entire suspension each time

imagine this

on the shock body, there are grooves for the perches.. with a c-clip to hold the perches in place. to adjust the perch, u have to undo the suspension and remove the c clip and mount the perch on a different level

(|//////|}===

^ perch heheheh

now after adjusting it

(|//////|}==

something like that !

thanks for the opinion.

I know that yellow koni for most honda, such as civic, can be height adjusted by changing the seat position for the spring mounting. I am not sure about the corolla because the front suspension housing is still used for the new strut. Only the struts are changed for the front, and complete suspension for the rear.

I just don't get it why is it sportivo with low king drop more than the levin. The only thing left is the suspension, i know its different. U can look at TRD141 and Shaohaok, and anyone else who got low king spring, it dropped just perfect.

In levin, bloody hell man, my car used to look like a huge roller skate with the 17'. That is why i cutted it.

danz you can get custom springs from k-mac in sydney for $165 a pair. rather than troubling yourself to copy the sportivo you can do your own thing with the levin. k-mac already has levin on record.

Coilovers eh? HotBits and D2 got coilovers for corolla, but i don't see anypoint for me buying one. Yet. Kmac springs eh? Custom? What do u meant by custom?

The only reason why i wanted to change my springs is I am getting koni suspension soon. And i saw this as an opportunity to do it properly this time so i can go back to mountain. Maybe I should just get Super low King + Yellow Koni. If it won't drop as near as mine, then forget about it. But I hope it will because on my friend's civic, phoarrr, it corners as if it was on rail! I am desperate for that kind of handeling!

You don't see any point in fitting coilovers :blink: I don't get it. With coilovers you will have approx 110mm or 4 inches to play with. Through the week have it moderately low, on weekends drop it the full four inches. Coilovers are designed to be lowered to the max - better quality ride as well. If you want go-kart handling go coilovers. A spring and shock package will never outhandle a car with coilovers. Tyres of course play a massive part in the handling of a car. Like they say, a quality small tyre will always outhandle a larger cheaper tyre. For the money you are going to spend on koni's and springs it will probably work out cheaper buying say Hotbits or Tein coilovers. Don't think that the koni sports will fit in easy either- they have to be modified a fair bit to fit into the factory struts. If you want honest no bull#$%@ advice speak to Louie at Straightalk Suspension..that is if you are in Sydney?

There is a straight talk suspension in blacktown. near the train station. directly across the quizons subs. within the same vecinity as nationwide and bridgestone.

=)

Yeah i was thinking of getting a D2 coilovers, but then again coilovers are not nice to have on street duty. Nice for track, but i don't go to track. I wanted a better suspension + Spring package for nicer ride everyday and when I corner it will corner better than standard suspension.

I heard Koni works very well for Shaohaok's car too, and with my experience on my friend's civic, yeah man, it's enough for me. Thanks for your opinion though, but coilovers doesn't suits my need. Maybe later on if I start going to track, but not now for sure.

Errr I got quoted 1000 bucks for Yellow Koni plus another 300ish for a set of low kings. I don't think coilovers is cheaper than just sports shocks. I also got quoted $1700 for Tein but not sure about HotBits.

danz i will have d2 coilovers next week. 36 damper settings and camber adjustable front. i decided to get this because short travel konis and lowered springs were going to be at least $1,200 a set.

Danz, you're exactly correct. We get so many people wanting coilovers for their car. Why? Are they going to raise & lower their car every weekend? Of course not.

They have less deflection, they are much harsher & less forgiving. Fine for circuit racing but that's it.

Let me know what you want to achieve from a suspension upgrade & I'll see if there's a simple TRD solution for it. Most likely there is.

cheers

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce. What I need is basically a good sports shocks. If you see my car in car galery page 10 (black with gold wheel), it has to have a similar ride height like that, but most likely a little higher to avoid rubbing on hard cornering. I figured super low springs will do, so that is not a concern. The suspension has to have damper adjust for easy tune-and-go, and above all else, sports characteristic.

I was thinking of installing suspension made for sportivo from Koni so that I will have the same drop with low king springs plus improved suspension. But i guess it is not the suspension, but perhaps the suspension mounting that makes it lower. I got a reply from Koni stating that there is no difference between Koni for Sportivo or Levin, in term of height, although the part numbers are different.