Sportivo v. Levin

2nd hand Sportivo or brand new Levin  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's come time to buy and I am having trouble deciding between a brand new Levin (and make a few mods) or a second hand Sportivo 05 Update with under 20,000 on the clock (boy am I annoyed they don't make them anymore as there would be no contest).

Basically I am looking for something small (so both it and the beer fridge fit in the garage) reliable, with parts easily available (hence not considering the frogs - 206Gti or Clio) and a bit of get up and go. I am intending to keep the vehicle for 7 years and annual kms will vary anywhere between 25,000 and 52,000. Reliability is a major factor, are there any of you Sportivo owners with big kms on your machines who could advise on the reliability of these brilliant engines over time?

Edited by jps137

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome.

I think everyone's personal opinion will vary, I think the best thing to do is find a dealer that has a 123 in the 2nd hand yard as well as demonstrator 122's (Ascent/Conquest/Levin all drive the same) and drive them back to back. Then see which suits you best

Given the way low km 123's seem to hold their value, you're probably spending similar money on either choice.

sportivo FTW!!!

Beefier engine VVTL-i vs VVT-i

Leather seats

climate control

16" rims as opposed to 15" on the levin.

I think the only advantage for the Levin is that its got painted mud flaps. LOL :P

Go ask Corzza for his opinion, he had a Levin to start off with, then he went and traded for a sportivo.

I am expecting to end up spending a similar amount either way. I have driven both already and thoroughly enjoyed the 123. On the downside for it was the gear change and the mystery of was it thrashed by the previous owner. The 122 was not bad but needs more herbs, I still need to find and drive one which has had some minor work done (exhaust, suspension and CAI).

I am expecting to end up spending a similar amount either way. I have driven both already and thoroughly enjoyed the 123. On the downside for it was the gear change and the mystery of was it thrashed by the previous owner. The 122 was not bad but needs more herbs, I still need to find and drive one which has had some minor work done (exhaust, suspension and CAI).

I think if you found the 122 'wanting' you'll never be happy with it and end up trading up for something that goes harder. I think you should go for a 123.

You will never know everything the driver has done or how it's been driven, the only thing you can do is get the lowest km's with sound service history, look for panel damage etc.

These are fairly robust engines (It's a toyota :D) Members have taken their cars to drag strips, track days etc and they still go strong. More than anything, try find the most stock example you can, as tempting as it is to find one with existing mods, this more than anything will protect you from a heavy handed owner.

I'd let you drive my 1ZZ - CAI, exhaust, lowered springs, bigger shocks - but I'm in Canberra.

As far as reliability goes I have 107,000kms on the clock (probably won't find one older than this) and it's still excellent. All the trim is still fresh and the cloth seats are like new (they've always been covered though I think). We've done most of the servicing since I've owned the car (20,000kms) and when we replaced the original sparkplugs they looked good enough to go another 100,000kms at least! Hardly uses a drop of oil either.

BUT - I would definitely choose the Sportivo over any of the 1ZZ models - I certainly wouldn't pay the same money for a Levin as I would a Sportivo. We have a Levin too, and if you choose 1ZZ then don't spend that much money, buy a Conquest or Ascent then use your savings to modify it - they're the same car with aesthetic differences. On the other hand, the Sportivo is a completely different car, engine, interior etc.

Keep in mind that if you modify a 1ZZ fairy heavilly it MIGHT match a stock Sportivo, but as soon as that Sportivo gets a CAI then you're out of the game.

my mum has an 02 wagon with 140,000km on it and its never skipped a beat. Just the normal servicing etc and its still running like the day we got it. The 2zz's are pretty tough it took me 6 months of pretty hard driving and few trips to 9,000RPM on stock internals to kill one....

my mum has an 02 wagon with 140,000km on it and its never skipped a beat. Just the normal servicing etc and its still running like the day we got it. The 2zz's are pretty tough it took me 6 months of pretty hard driving and few trips to 9,000RPM on stock internals to kill one....

mate my first car was an 03 ascent and now I’ve got an 03 Sportivo

there is absolutely NO comparison - its simply a diff car - if nothing but for the engine go for the stivo - stick a CAI in and it roars!!!

if ur gonna buy a new levin..

y not wait for the new model? not that i think it looks good... but at least its a new model....

they should cost similar.. but the optional... should be different.... everything might be optional....

Edited by XploShun

Beleive it or not, if you hunt around there are still some brand new 05 stivo's in car yards, or some have been coverted to ex-demo's.

Levin or Sportivo? Its a personal choice, up to you. If you want power, the stivo is the way to go, if not, go for the Levin (its also new, and new is new). :idea: I would highly suggest to wait until 3rd quarter this year, for the all new body Corolla and see what that brings (may be able to pick up current model for bargain, or go for the new one). :idea:

If I was you, also look at the Golf, Polo, Mazda3, Focus, CiViC, and Suzuki Swift Sports.

agree, the cars above are fairly good too

dont change from toyota i nearly did. ive driven old, new and newer. only problem i had with it was a fuse nothing else

Agreed, my personal experience with cars brand is this. Auto companies are very conservative, the formulae and quality control which they have used to sell their products are always the same because they know that it works for them. So, a Toyota is based its ups on reliability and it has worked for them. Holden and Ford is based on better bang for your buck moto (forgetting about reliability) and it works for them too. Honda, revvy engines but no torque. etcs......

So like I will only use Nokia phones, I will only use Toyota from now on. My family and I have used other cars such as Mazda, Land Rover, Holden, Subaru, Suzuki. Now we only use Toyota.

Don't think Levin is worth it. In fact, when I was purchasing my corolla conquest, the salesman said that the higher models are not worth it. I mean, don't salesman earn more for selling me a more expensive car?

It's come time to buy and I am having trouble deciding between a brand new Levin (and make a few mods) or a second hand Sportivo 05 Update with under 20,000 on the clock (boy am I annoyed they don't make them anymore as there would be no contest).

Basically I am looking for something small (so both it and the beer fridge fit in the garage) reliable, with parts easily available (hence not considering the frogs - 206Gti or Clio) and a bit of get up and go. I am intending to keep the vehicle for 7 years and annual kms will vary anywhere between 25,000 and 52,000. Reliability is a major factor, are there any of you Sportivo owners with big kms on your machines who could advise on the reliability of these brilliant engines over time?

I was in the same boast as you 3 years ago. I ended up with the levin. Although there are times when i wish i had got a stivo there are more times when i dont. For me, like yourself i wanted to own the car for 7ish years. Knowing how many 1ZZ's there are ont he road i realised how cheaper the parts will be in the future. That along with the fact that i realised a differene in Build quality just frm closing the door in a sportivo to closing the levin door, lead me to purchase the levin.

Since then i have added a sportivo exhaust and CAI and i have proven that my car with these 2 mods that vcost me around $600 installed, is 0-100 as fast as any stock sportivo proven by the timeslips in the timeslip thread. So all in al i got my car to the 0-100 pace of the stock 123 and got the jap build qual;ity with it. Only problem is ive reached the 1zz limits almost where ***** add a CAI to a stock stivo and it will eat any 1zz even just 0-100.

But i will eave you with one thign that will sum ur decision up for you.

large_flag_of_south_africa.gif

Edited by SyxXPaC

The only thing that I can see that the Levin would be better is on longer trips. The noise in the Sportivo is noticebly noisier, but then thats just the engine. Recent investigation of a wheel problem in my sportivo turned out to be tire noise <_< and the fact that their is no sound damping material on the wheel arcs.

I still have my conquest today and the only thing I like about it is

Its an automatic

and I love the seats

But thats it.

If you like the excitment that it brings then get a sportivo, if not go get the Levin as SyxXPac said.

Both good car but to choose I would go for the Sportivo if they are both within your budget.

I'm sure LIFT is worth the extra $$$.

Ask CORZZA

Yeah i had the levin from new to 15000kms then traded it in 1yr later for a identical stivo with the same kms.

And yes nothing beats the sound of lift!

Bill leave that decent flag alone! :D

Dude there is no comparison the Sportivo represents so much better value and they seem to hold their value well too. Just like any toyota with regular servicing and oil changes every 5000klms you should have no trouble seeing 300,000klms of regular driving.

The sportivo has a much better level of equipment than the levin so thats the way ID be leaning

Dude there is no comparison the Sportivo represents so much better value and they seem to hold their value well too. Just like any toyota with regular servicing and oil changes every 5000klms you should have no trouble seeing 300,000klms of regular driving.

The sportivo has a much better level of equipment than the levin so thats the way ID be leaning

levin has a higher safty rating with more airbags than the sportivo?? Only thing the sportivo as that levin doesnt is leather seats. Other then that its the same including the sterio and the leather stering and gear knob

levin has a higher safty rating with more airbags than the sportivo?? Only thing the sportivo as that levin doesnt is leather seats. Other then that its the same including the sterio and the leather stering and gear knob

the leather in my sportivo is probably the lowest grade leather there is out there. i would rather the levin seats anyday.

like most guys here said, depends what you are after. you want reliability and a hassle-free car, get the levin. if that doesnt bother u (like me) and want something with a heap more punch, then sportivo.

The question is that would you like to take the sportivo up past 6K rpm??

Most of the people over here just believe the sportivo is so much better because it offers Lift, engine aside I'll take the Levin. Bloody rattles in the sportivo is annoying....but I'm sorting that out very soon with a bulk pack of Dynamat Xtreme, My conquest with more kms (80 vs 60) has less rattles then my sportivo (yes I own both).

If your going to be spending alot of time on the road (especially on sydney roads) I say go the Levin.

Edited by Suprathai

i am only going to offer you some simple pieces of advice.

Take both for a test drive .... experience EVERYTHING both cars have to offer engine .... feel .... noises .... performance .... handling get a feel for everything and then work out which one you feel happier with ....

This is what i did and the levin just didnt do it for me ..... i also couldnt see potential on the levin (sorry 1zz fella's .... this is just my opinion which i am entitled 2 :P :P :P :P ) and as such i had to go with the sportivo .... and here i am where i am today :D :D :D :D

cheers

Bill

Thanks for all your advice

if ur gonna buy a new levin..

y not wait for the new model? not that i think it looks good... but at least its a new model....

they should cost similar.. but the optional... should be different.... everything might be optional....

Now that I've been told the new model is coming out in April as opposed to second half of the year, this may be an option as I will need the car before the end of April. Has anyone seen the specs for the Aust models (rumored or otherwise) Toyota couldn't even tell me when they would be releasing specs let alone what they were. I downloaded the brochure for the UK and there is a model with 177hp sounds appealing, except it's diesel.

I spoke with a dealer today and got the same price for a Levin with TRD CAI and Sportivo Springs as the Sportivo 05's are going for, so basically both are well in the price range

Re. the Levin not worth the money compared with the lower specs, most of the extras on the Levin I would want and by the time you add them on you are almost at the Levin price anyway.

xoom I have tried both already and found the Lift impressive, but I need to know what they are like for a long trip and is the gearchange issue something that disappears with experience or do you just try to ignore it. I had tried a Sportivo pre 05 and found it tired whether this was just a badly maintained car or not I am not sure. It still pulled like fresh but rattled badly.

I tend to agree with Mikey about the leather quality

Edited by jps137