Dutchie's 09 ZRE Levin ZR

dutchie101

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Installed the WeaponR headers today. Luckily they are a direct fit. Spot on. Im happy about that.

WeaponRinstall.jpg.

Now, as for power increase. 3-5kw mostly mid range, a tad more power duration at top end. Drives better than it dyno'ed. Much more free revving, better pedal feel, quicker rev drop once the foot is off the pedal. Far smoother power curve, More power up top ( all these things are personal interpretations of the feel of the vehicle) the driving feels better than the dyno results.

I must say. I still think im down on power since the fumbled Toyota service/injector clean/ oil change. As i mentioned, it felt like turd once i picked it up from Toyota the other day, almost in limp mode and it wreaked of fuel. Initial dyno results came in 12% under previous run after the exhaust. No dyno has been done since the CAI install so i cant discount that either. Weather was very similar both runs. It feels better now than when i first picked it up from Toyota, but still not on song. SO, i would estimate almost a 20% drop in power post service/injector clean/oil change.

I see the variables as this:

1, Something happened to the injectors when cleaning, or the excess fuel screwed the cat, but its the most unlikely of the variables.

2, The 5W-30 Castrol Edge Sport is too thin, and causing Cam timing/ VVTi issues. - Possible/very possible

3, Toyota updated the ECU software and wont admit it. This is highly likely as my tuner has seen this before. Toyota (and other) manufactures will not admit they update the software version, as it could cause legality issues if there was/is problems with previous versions.

So yes, Im happy with the feel of the headers and their effect on the power and smoothness, especially for the cost. Im still not happy and cant chase this issue of lower power.

I wish someone would crack that dam Toyota ECU security coding so we can flash tune this POS!! :angry:

Man you guys were quick! :D

I got them from Todd @ www.autotuningstore.com. Very helpful guy. Please remember with group buys, anything over AU1000 will attract GST and Duty. Plus postage to other states (unless the melb crew GB for themselves) I dont think WeaponR will drop the price much either.

Saying that, good luck! :D

Yeah i had some cheap-a*s honkers chrome strip there to see if i liked the look. It half fell off on the drive to burn :D ordered the proper one as soon as i got back. I like it. OEM chrome is so, well, chromey!

A guy on Rakuten is selling them, i think you may even be able to order them from Toyota direct.

Installed the WeaponR headers today. Luckily they are a direct fit. Spot on. Im happy about that.

WeaponRinstall.jpg.

Now, as for power increase. 3-5kw mostly mid range, a tad more power duration at top end. Drives better than it dyno'ed. Much more free revving, better pedal feel, quicker rev drop once the foot is off the pedal. Far smoother power curve, More power up top ( all these things are personal interpretations of the feel of the vehicle) the driving feels better than the dyno results.

I must say. I still think im down on power since the fumbled Toyota service/injector clean/ oil change. As i mentioned, it felt like turd once i picked it up from Toyota the other day, almost in limp mode and it wreaked of fuel. Initial dyno results came in 12% under previous run after the exhaust. No dyno has been done since the CAI install so i cant discount that either. Weather was very similar both runs. It feels better now than when i first picked it up from Toyota, but still not on song. SO, i would estimate almost a 20% drop in power post service/injector clean/oil change.

I see the variables as this:

1, Something happened to the injectors when cleaning, or the excess fuel screwed the cat, but its the most unlikely of the variables.

2, The 5W-30 Castrol Edge Sport is too thin, and causing Cam timing/ VVTi issues. - Possible/very possible

3, Toyota updated the ECU software and wont admit it. This is highly likely as my tuner has seen this before. Toyota (and other) manufactures will not admit they update the software version, as it could cause legality issues if there was/is problems with previous versions.

So yes, Im happy with the feel of the headers and their effect on the power and smoothness, especially for the cost. Im still not happy and cant chase this issue of lower power.

I wish someone would crack that dam Toyota ECU security coding so we can flash tune this POS!! :angry:

fitted up yourself??

yep interested to see when someone local has these in stock and the price

Nah, took them to exhaust tech just in case i needed any mods done while trying to fit them. Not sure any local manufacturer wil have them soon. CES havent said much, i sent them a pic and things went cold after that. Its still going to be cheaper to buy them from the US while the dollar is good. I think CES headers are normally around the 600 mark.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Pete

Those SMD's look really good, I noticed that your've done one for the dome light also. I'm looking at changing mine over as well, is the dome light just a matter of popping off the cover? Or is there more to it?

Cheers

Chris

Had an hour spare the other night, knocked up a new Flux Boot space light. No more pooh off white, nice and crisp now.

SMDboot1.jpg

10x 0.5W 6000k white flux with 37mm festoon plug in.

SMDboot2.jpg

Fits neatly into the OEM housing.

SMDboot3.jpg

5 Watts of crisp clean white goodness.

:D

Yep easy to do the dome, a small flat screwdriver and a cloth to rest it on so you dont dent or scratch the absurdly soft plastics in the ZRE and you will be good to go. I think the dome was a 31mm festoon from memory, but just check first.

Actually the dome light was just a 5050 3chip smd 31mm jobbie from ebay ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Ha, gave her a good old thrashing today :spiteful: ... Feels quite good to change between the two cars. The Zr is a great little buzz box. I think i was getting a little too used to the fun drive. Well, as for future plans... Im not going to chase any more power, without a reflash or re-programmed ECU, i dont think there is much point. Body mods, done and completed.

I do have one more major cosmetic mod in the works, but i had a little hick-up, and just trying to decide where to go from there. 90% of the work is done, i have to finalize my decision or bite the bullet and fork out more cash..Hmmmm....

I can honestly say that the last month has been crazy busy with work for me, so almost all projects (inc new products for the biz) have been put on hold.

Fear not, the ZR is still being lusted over :lol:

Im looking forward to a few weeks off i tell ya!

• 1 month later...

Pull at my heart string why dont you John?!! :(

Well, ive spend a bloody huge wad on the LS the last few months. Just waiting to see what else is available for the ZRE lately, Ill install my retro HID headlights soon if work permits.

Would have boosted it soon but even Im starting to run dry. :o Not going to bother chasing any more power unless its boosted.

Could put bags in it!

• 1 year later...

Now that Dutchie's ZRE has been sold and a few of us were lucky enough to grab some quality parts,I've been watching this lately so I thought I would bump it for one last hurrah :)

Thanks Pete and farewell ye ZRE

th_ZREexhaustnote.jpg