Snapped Sportivo Driveshaft...

Hi Everybody... (Hi Dr Nick)...

Driving my gf's 05 Sportivo on Sat, accelerated in 1st gear, changed into second, released the clutch and noticed the engine was free revving, no gear was engaged... Looked down at the shifter to ensure I was in 2nd gear, checked 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th and there was nothing...

Pulled over on a side road, tried it again, tried reverse with no luck...

Checked the gearbox, CV's, Cables and everything else for damage and couldn't find anything...

Started the car and noticed the driveshaft was spinning but the wheel wasn't...

Snapped shaft clean in half... It was the Right Hand Shaft inside the outer CV Boot...

We had one at work that snapped before, 03 model from memory but that was due to burnouts and extreme stress on the shaft...

Has anyone else had any issues with snapping driveshafts in Sportivo's??? Maybe someone with a turbo conversion???

Luckily I got it through warranty as there was no signs of misuse to be seen... My gf has only owned the car for 3 weeks, both my gf and I have not thrashed the car through corners, done burnouts or dumped the clutch in any way so yeah, strange for it just to break like that...

CENSORED!!!!!

Damn man iv never heard of that before in a stivo! even billy in his turbo hasnt done that yet!!!

Who was the car purchase off by the way?

I thought drive shafts were one of the last things that would need replacing in the drive train after constant abuse.....

Then again anything lower then 26psi and trying to get a good launch can also kill your driveshaft at the strip.....I've heard it somewhere though......

I have been through 2 engines, 2 gearbox rebuilds, 4 clutches and I have only just rooted my shafts, took 90,000km....so for you to do it in 3 weeks its obviously faulty.

Wow - strong blatant disregard for vehicle longevity. I hope you don't apply the same abuse to the missus mate, or brag about how many times you "told her" cause i don't think you will be able to get replacement parts for her when stuff breaks as a result of user negligence. (yes joking :P)

I have been through 2 engines, 2 gearbox rebuilds, 4 clutches and I have only just rooted my shafts, took 90,000km....so for you to do it in 3 weeks its obviously faulty.

wow... lets see..

2 engines...

2 gearboxes..

4 clutches...

2 rooted shafts..

0 driving school lessons? haha!

just joking mate... seriously tho... you haven't been having a good run since your 1zz. :(

well... good to see someone else has a similar problem, but sucks about the price tag on new shafts... :(

Seriously tho, i leaning towards that the SA stock has some QA problems from over tightening stuff to now drive shafts...

Edited by pippy

A previous owner from these forums, snapped a driveshaft in his '05 stivo (i wont name names). Toyota gave him a hard time, but once they investigated, they apologised as it was a defect in the drive shaft itself. Sportivo driveshaft, cvs, and cv boots as i understand are prettty crap anyway. A set of aftermarket billet ones will fix this problem right up.

Was a private purchase...

Didn't get photos cause it was replaced under warranty but you could feel the shaft itself through the rubber boot was snapped clean through...

yes but who was the previous owner? lady, p plater etc! The might have been abused by the previous owner.

Look back at the history of the car. where it came from? Has it been in a front end acco resulting in weaker shafts

There may have been something as simple as a notch or an impact mark (from fighting off the lions while the car was built) that created a stress raiser, then fatigue went to work. Or as rollamods says, a fault within the alloy. I wonder if those racing Celicas have any issues with halfshafts, micky?

As for Northy, just shows what happens to the life expectancy of parts when you go for more powa!

cars are ment to be driven :P if stuff breaks its part of the course :yahoo:

*Remembers Bilal telling me of the infamous 'Corey North phone conversation' while Mr North was on the hands free in le Shadow*

*Sound of + 6,000rpm hi-cam action (he is a pirate...arrr)* "CARRNN! Git out of the way ya baahhhstarrrdddd!!!!! Sorry Bill, what were you saying?"

Northy takes no prisoners, and lives every day like it's going to be the last day he owns his car. In a weird way, it's a nice philosophy. Of course I'm kind of the opposite lol.

cars are ment to be driven :P if stuff breaks its part of the course :yahoo:

*Remembers Bilal telling me of the infamous 'Corey North phone conversation' while Mr North was on the hands free in le Shadow*

*Sound of + 6,000rpm hi-cam action (he is a pirate...arrr)* "CARRNN! Git out of the way ya baahhhstarrrdddd!!!!! Sorry Bill, what were you saying?"

Northy takes no prisoners, and lives every day like it's going to be the last day he owns his car. In a weird way, it's a nice philosophy. Of course I'm kind of the opposite lol.

i loled :P

I wonder if those racing Celicas have any issues with halfshafts, micky?

I havent heard of any Dave - only heard of the professionals driving selecting 1st instead of 3rd.... only 1 (out of 4 i think) engine didnt kill itself at 10k rpm++++

Has it been in a front end acco resulting in weaker shafts

Petey my car (you've seen the pics) had a bent driveshaft but it was nowhere close to being broken

yeah not broken but weakend.

they may have fixed his car externally but the hidden parts like shafts etc might still have been slightly damaged thus resulting in it snapping.

Was previously owned by a young asian dude... Was very quiet and lived by himself... Went to uni and that was about it... Didn't seem like the kind of driver to thrash it...

Didn't pull off the boot itself to check but if you grab the end and move it back towards the other side, you could feel both ends come back into contact so yeah...

Oh wells, all fixed now anyways...

Must've been a faulty part I'm guessing...