Cracked Rims....

Pan

Oh well... I've jacked my car up a couple of weeks ago and I found a bend on my rims I didn't have a good look at it at that time tho.. anyway yesterday I went to bob jane where I bought my rims and they found a crack which is around 4-5 cm long they reckon that I should buy a new rims.. nice move aye anyway I told them I'll think about it. So I went to a wheel repairer he reckon he can weld it to close the crack line which will cost me around $150.

Well I'm not too sure which way to fix it, buy a new one or weld.. ?? I think new rim will cost around $400+ with the rubber.

I'm not so sure if I can claim this from the insurance but I told them that I have alloy wheels on my car and they have increased the premium, by the way it's full cover. I'mma call them tomorrow !

well if i was in your shoes and money wasnt a real big factor i would go with buying a new rim. if you still have rubber on the cracked rim id drive it around carefully for a lil longer and being carefull not to hit any pot holes. could be welded but then you would have to get it painted again and will it turn out the same colour as the other rims and also the crack could re appear in the future. so obviously buying a new rim would be the safest way to go. cause if a rim falls appart whilst driving, ill garuantee you it will cost more then $400 to fix everything.

:yahoo:

The crack is on the inside edge so can't really see unless you look really close. I'm just wondering if it's possible to claim from the insuarance :whistling:

my previous intergra had 225/17/45 and I had the similar cracks in the front at the inside . DNT repair it. I did twice and still leaks. It was a slow leak over 2 weeks....so. DNT. just buy a new one or try to get replacement if you talk to them nicely.. :yahoo:

I would change the rim to a new one, you can re-use the existing tyre. If the existing one is welded the weld is still a weak point and the crack could return or worse. It's very much a safety issue and I wouldn't take a short cut.

I have a mate that had a crack in his rim. He didnt know about it until he was driving in a 60km zone and the rim fell apart. His car went on a right angle into the gutter. The front of his car was damaged from hitting the gutter and the side of his car was damaged from where the piece of the rim came off hit the side of his car

I would change the rim to a new one, you can re-use the existing tyre. If the existing one is welded the weld is still a weak point and the crack could return or worse. It's very much a safety issue and I wouldn't take a short cut.

Exactly right. If your tread is still good just get the new rim and have them put the existing tyre back on. I don't know what tyres you are running, but surely that has to save you around 100 bucks...

what brand are your rims?

Was the damage caused by hitting a pothole or does it look to be a structural defect?

I'd personally be hitting up the manufacturer for a warranty replacement.

If it's a speedy/advanti/BSA etc then the rim is only worth $260-300 new. If it's a chinese copy of one of the more popular styles then it should cost less.

my rims is speedy lite 17" I asked at bob jane if they can replace it but they wouldn't because it actually cracked because of the pot hole :( didn't have time to call my insurance company today because too busy anyway I'll give them a call tomorrow and see...

Was the damage caused by hitting a pothole or does it look to be a structural defect?

A not so big pot hole that I couldn't see apparently it was just a loud bang and bye bye my wheel..

The crack is on the inside edge so can't really see unless you look really close. I'm just wondering if it's possible to claim from the insuarance :whistling:

To be able to claim something like that from insurance, it needs to be caused by some sort of event, e.g. you might have slid in the wet and clipped a gutter. If there hasn't been an event of some sort, then you won't be able to claim, with or without an excess.

If the wheel is faulty, then I'd chat to the manufacturer/importer ... perhaps you could negotiate another wheel at a discounted rate, on the basis that you don't involve Today Tonight, etc. ;-)