DVD player with 7" Screen Installed.

DKzr6

I went to a car audio sale today, the guy there was trying to sell me the latest Eclipse avn762ea saying it is plug and play with the Aurion, can anyone confirm this? I would usually believe him but he also said that the AVN-6000 does not have a steering wheel control unit in it, saying he had a lot of experience with that head unit, which goes against what ive read on this forum, the AVN-6000 being one of the two units (the other being Auspacks) that allows you to retain wheel controls.

The price he was giving me for the 762 was $1700

and a ex-demo AVN-6000 for $1200

I went to a car audio sale today, the guy there was trying to sell me the latest Eclipse avn762ea saying it is plug and play with the Aurion, can anyone confirm this? I would usually believe him but he also said that the AVN-6000 does not have a steering wheel control unit in it, saying he had a lot of experience with that head unit, which goes against what ive read on this forum, the AVN-6000 being one of the two units (the other being Auspacks) that allows you to retain wheel controls.

The other time before i installed my Alpine headunit, i almost go for the Eclipse AVN6000, Northfield told me it can link direct to our car with no problem or any adaptor required so i assume the latest version should be able to .. Also that is really a sweet deal you have got there..

The AVN726EA most definitely will work with the Aurion. There is a bit of software which the installer puts on it to make it work (via CD) and is downloaded from Eclipse. It is imported from the CD from a menu on the unit.

How do I know this? I am looking at getting one of these from Northfield Macgregor, and Phil (who owns a TRD 3500S) who installs these, has this in his car (and demo'd it to me).

Also off topic, but he has done some great mods to his car including Audi-style LEDs inside the headlight (which look absolutely fantastic), LEDs mounted above (and hidden) interior door handles, and a sweet sounding exhaust. :P

BTW...great price for the unit alone. What audio sale was that?

Cheers

Michael

The AVN726EA most definitely will work with the Aurion. There is a bit of software which the installer puts on it to make it work (via CD) and is downloaded from Eclipse. It is imported from the CD from a menu on the unit.

How do I know this? I am looking at getting one of these from Northfield Macgregor, and Phil (who owns a TRD 3500S) who installs these, has this in his car (and demo'd it to me).

Also off topic, but he has done some great mods to his car including Audi-style LEDs inside the headlight (which look absolutely fantastic), LEDs mounted above (and hidden) interior door handles, and a sweet sounding exhaust. :P

Cheers

Michael

Ya, Phil is trying to sell his TRD as well... saw the ad he put up on the counter inside PipeWerx the other day..

Ya, Phil is trying to sell his TRD as well... saw the ad he put up on the counter inside PipeWerx the other day..

It's a nice car. He did say he was ready to move onto another project. Not sure what he wants for it, but would probably be a good buy.

Cheers

Michael

It is an audio sale in Sydney, www.lifestylestore.com.au though it ends tomorrow.. Ended up buying the AVN-6000 despite them telling me theres no steering wheel audio control box in the unit.

djc brought up a valid question for me about whether the AVN-6000 is directly compatible with the steering wheel controls or if it needs an optional unit to work with it. Well I brought it on myself to search Google to get to Eclipse's website, then proceeded to the support section which conveniently has an install guide. According to what it says that should be in the package, it will directly wire into the steering wheel controls:

http://www.eclipse-web.com/download/manual...df/6000ie99.pdf

djc brought up a valid question for me about whether the AVN-6000 is directly compatible with the steering wheel controls or if it needs an optional unit to work with it. Well I brought it on myself to search Google to get to Eclipse's website, then proceeded to the support section which conveniently has an install guide. According to what it says that should be in the package, it will directly wire into the steering wheel controls:

http://www.eclipse-web.com/download/manual...df/6000ie99.pdf

After sending a PM to dannywss who owns this unit, apparently there are NO audio controls if you install the unit without the PAC unit required to salvage controls.

steering audio wont work, so get PAC or other interface device.. install and device total cost? few hundred

the 'display' button can work, go search in aurion section on how to 'fix' it after installing aftermarket hu.

Now I'm really confused, I thought it was established that AVN-6000 was compatible with the Aurion's wheel control, it appears to be acknowledged along with the Auspack unit, however now I honestly don't know what's going on. I really cannot see myself spending and odd $300 to purchase and install the PAC unit, however i am incapable of grounding the DISP function wire because i am clueless.

After sending a PM to dannywss who owns this unit, apparently there are NO audio controls if you install the unit without the PAC unit required to salvage controls.

Well see, you've already purchased the AVN-6000. How about waiting till it arrives before jumping to a conclusion. You already bought it anyway, so you may as well be the one to confirm whether it works. As above, the install manual says that it wires directly into the steering wheel controls, so I guess Eclipse themselves are incorrect then.

Well see, you've already purchased the AVN-6000. How about waiting till it arrives before jumping to a conclusion. You already bought it anyway, so you may as well be the one to confirm whether it works. As above, the install manual says that it wires directly into the steering wheel controls, so I guess Eclipse themselves are incorrect then.

When Phil from Northfield Macgregor demo it to me, he controls the volume from the steering wheel and also he say it is plug and play without any additional steering wheel control thingy needed.. so djc i don't think you need to worry too much about it...

When Phil from Northfield Macgregor demo it to me, he controls the volume from the steering wheel and also he say it is plug and play without any additional steering wheel control thingy needed.. so djc i don't think you need to worry too much about it...

Yeah after doing some research on different types of Eclipse units on Toyota vehicles it seems that they are able to salvage controls, however there are a few wires that need to be connected and then grounded for that to work, now it may be that the installers that i am purchasing from dont know this, or dont know how to do it, so being incompetent myself, i will have to head around and ask a few different installers. I wish i had access to a Northfield but unfortunately i live in Sydney.

Yeah after doing some research on different types of Eclipse units on Toyota vehicles it seems that they are able to salvage controls, however there are a few wires that need to be connected and then grounded for that to work, now it may be that the installers that i am purchasing from dont know this, or dont know how to do it, so being incompetent myself, i will have to head around and ask a few different installers. I wish i had access to a Northfield but unfortunately i live in Sydney.

Hey mate,sorry to hear all ya dramas...maybe print out that wheel control diagram that i PM to you and give it to your installer,he might be able to work something out from that. :unsure:

p.s I got the info from Mickeyboy on this forum and gave it to my installer,he had no idea until he saw these diagrams...and now it all works.And yeah my H/Unit is a different brand,but we do have the same steering wheel buttons.

Okay, well I went to the workshop of the store i bought the head unit from, the actual installer said he hasnt done the Aurion before but he knows that the Eclipse units work with MOST Toyotas, although he did say it doesnt ALWAYS work, so i think things are looking good.. He is charging me $150 for an install which will take 2-4 hours (does it actually take that long?)

So ill let you know the news tomorrow.. hopefully all goes well considering it should work as others have said, otherwise ill get him to ground the pink cable so at least my trip computer isnt gone.

Okay, well I went to the workshop of the store i bought the head unit from, the actual installer said he hasnt done the Aurion before but he knows that the Eclipse units work with MOST Toyotas, although he did say it doesnt ALWAYS work, so i think things are looking good.. He is charging me $150 for an install which will take 2-4 hours (does it actually take that long?)

So ill let you know the news tomorrow.. hopefully all goes well considering it should work as others have said, otherwise ill get him to ground the pink cable so at least my trip computer isnt gone.

Gd luck with the install, you are going to love the unit..

Okay i got it installed, its not a bad unit for $1200, and i can confirm that you DO NOT need an aftermarket control box for the steering wheel controls, they work straight from the head unit. Probably not relevant anymore considering the new Eclipse unit is out, but it'll probably be some time before you see the prices drop.

Overall im quite happy with this install, not sure about the sub control and those sound settings yet as i am yet to install my subwoofer.. Will probably get that done in a couple of months once i buy a suitable amp as well.

Hey guys,

I would just like to thank everyone's contributable posts on this one.

I bought a unit of ebay.. installed myself a few weeks ago.... and just did the igo8 install to replace Tomtom software.. and after a little work and patience.. all is working well

This forum is such a great resource of info now.

Thanks everyone!

** Please note (mc223) and (mc223_2) are the same person ** For some reason i cant get back into my old account because the email i registered with has been closed down (silly isp)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi folks.

Me and my wife have been keeping good eyes on this thread for a while, as we think the AUSPACK unit would be an excelent entertainment unit to keep my two kids entertained on our long family trips.

My question is, does anyone know if you can take the video and put it on to either a roof mounted screen, or to headrest screens? I have tried to read all the posts on this thread, and saw a mention of a Video out, but is this at the rear of the unit, or at the front?

Anyone have any experience or info they can share?

My 2nd q is, what is the maximum size USB Hard Drive folks are running with this thing? We are looking at using a USB powered 320gb HDD that is currently full of kids movies and music. Anyone know of any problems with this?

Tax cheques just came in, so we are keen to proceed to the purchase phase.

Also, just a shout out to you guys who are helping so much on this thread (and the forum in general). You have made both myself and my wife very confident in even looking at replacing the standard unit. So again, thanks.

My question is, does anyone know if you can take the video and put it on to either a roof mounted screen, or to headrest screens? I have tried to read all the posts on this thread, and saw a mention of a Video out, but is this at the rear of the unit, or at the front?

There are two RCA video out sockets at the back of the head unit. Perfect for two headrest monitors.

My 2nd q is, what is the maximum size USB Hard Drive folks are running with this thing? We are looking at using a USB powered 320gb HDD that is currently full of kids movies and music. Anyone know of any problems with this?

The USB port doesn't output much power. Something around the 250mA mark (half of standard USB). This is not enough to power an external hard drive. As well, the unit can take quite a lot of time to load up if you have lots of files. Mine takes a good minute to load a 2GB USB stick filled with songs. Imagine what 320GB would do.

The USB port doesn't output much power. Something around the 250mA mark (half of standard USB). This is not enough to power an external hard drive. As well, the unit can take quite a lot of time to load up if you have lots of files. Mine takes a good minute to load a 2GB USB stick filled with songs. Imagine what 320GB would do.

So the USB is pretty crap? If I burn the AVI files to a DVD, they run ok?

Thanks heaps for all the help.

So the USB is pretty crap? If I burn the AVI files to a DVD, they run ok?

The USB pretty much is crap. When you turn the head unit off, the next time you turn it on, playback starts from the first song again. I considered using just USB, but that fault made me reconsider.

As for the AVI's, it is a bit touch. All mine are usually DivX. So long as the resolution is not too high (ie. your standard 350MB TV show is fine), you should not run into any issues.

DJKOR, you rock sir!

Once I finish with this, I can move on to my one and only allowable external modification. Racing stripes and a big stormtrooper head decal.

Edited by bseven

I found that when watching AVI's of the USB thumb drive, when i turn the car off and back on again.. Playback starts where it left off.. which is quite nice.

My major question is in regards to the TV antenna, ive hooked it up and i get really bad reception, i have seen the comments previously....

Has anyone tried a different antenna, and also when you hook it up, there seems to be some other wires on it.. Where do they connect too?

Has anyone tried a different antenna...

The only report here of someone trying a different antenna was a user named Kmg. It was mentioned in this thread:

TV antenna

The eBay link he has there is now invalid, but the antenna that he go looked like this:

cartvantennawith4way4pl.th.jpg

...and also when you hook it up, there seems to be some other wires on it.. Where do they connect too?

Are you referring about the original antenna? If so, it has three connections on it because it is a powered (amplified) antenna. First one plugs into the head unit, second connects to a +12v source, and the last one connects to ground.

Hey all,

I dont know if this is just my unit or it actually works. this is regarding the issue about how

after you shut down your car and start it up again the unit starts from the first song of the cd,

just one question is that cd in your unit a CD-R of somesort? If so try inserting and original

cd, cause when i did that it seemed to pick up from the last song i've listend too. Dont know

exactly if it's just me but do give it a try! :)

Regards,

y-try