Removing the Cat

Hi there people i know this topic has been on veryones mind, well it has been on my mind for the last 2.5yrs....I been looking everywhere where to have the Cat removed, cut the long story short!! We all know our cars have 2 sensors and there has been a lot of comments saying it cant be done without doing this or that....Well i went to a company here in the UK and they basically removed the Cat for me and put a straight pipe in place of the cat with the sensors being inserted into the pipe, job done!!

no1. Faster!!

no2. More Torque!!

no3. Louder!!

no4. Not made any difference on fuel if anything it seems better!!

no5. The mixture is a running a bit lean, if anyone knows how do help me on this please feel free to comment ! !

Hope this is of use to all you buddies out there!!

Let the De-Catting begin ! !

P.s This is the new improved look on my ride too ;-)

post-6509-1214215014_thumb.jpg

We only have one cat on the Sportivo and 1 O2 sensor. Plus fines here for no cat are huge and if you get caught you're goone. the cat convertor on the Sportivo here is huge and flows very well for a stock cat hence why most don't even bother changing it.

Hi there people i know this topic has been on veryones mind, well it has been on my mind for the last 2.5yrs....I been looking everywhere where to have the Cat removed, cut the long story short!! We all know our cars have 2 sensors and there has been a lot of comments saying it cant be done without doing this or that....Well i went to a company here in the UK and they basically removed the Cat for me and put a straight pipe in place of the cat with the sensors being inserted into the pipe, job done!!

no1. Faster!!

no2. More Torque!!

no3. Louder!!

no4. Not made any difference on fuel if anything it seems better!!

no5. The mixture is a running a bit lean, if anyone knows how do help me on this please feel free to comment ! !

Hope this is of use to all you buddies out there!!

Let the De-Catting begin ! !

P.s This is the new improved look on my ride too ;-)

Yeh nice work you idiot.

c'mon give him a break. <_<

Whilst modern CATs flow extremely well and are required for legal reasons and for correct engine management , many people believe they are still better off being removed for performance reasons. Despite this I think you've been treated abit roughly

nice pic ! B)

Whilst modern CATs flow extremely well and are required for legal reasons and for correct engine management , many people believe they are still better off being removed for performance reasons. Despite this I think you've been treated abit roughly

nice pic ! B)

I agree.... Everyone's entitled to their own choices/actions... Also the guy is from the UK, so their laws may differ from ours (just a guess).

c'mon if australia permitted us to drive around without the cat, don't tell me you guys wouldn't do it...

c'mon if australia permitted us to drive around without the cat, don't tell me you guys wouldn't do it...

If the law wasn't there then there wouldn't be catalytic converters on cars. The manufacturers wouldn't fit them to save costs.

nice pic ! B)

I agree.... Everyone's entitled to their own choices/actions... Also the guy is from the UK, so their laws may differ from ours (just a guess).

Everybody knows that cat converters were only legalised to make VL exhausts smell like the bogans that drove them ...

nice pic ! B)

i agree too.. how do we know that it's not some crazy track car that his talking about,,,, anyways i say let him do as he pleases cause it is his car, and as for the law, i'm sure he knows what his doing.

but IMO i'm not a big fan of loud exhausts, and the fumes would be awful... i warm my car up every morining in the car port and it still stinks of bad fumes.

but IMO i'm not a big fan of loud exhausts, and the fumes would be awful... i warm my car up every morining in the car port and it still stinks of bad fumes.

I would strongly not being near the fumes as I hear through the grape vine that carbon monoxide isn't the best of things to have in your lungs.

Plus the engine warms up quicker if it is under load. Drive it to warm it up, I'm not talking about huge revs here. Plus you'll get better fuel economy.

SD we only have 1 O2 sensor in the Aus spec cars. when CEs did the R&D on the sportivo stuff Trevor looked at the cat and was surprised at just how big and well made it was. He commented on the size being comparable to something other manufacturers have on engines some 3L in capacity and bigger. We pulled the cat off during some testing and had a good look at it Trevor commented for the price you would pay to get a cat to flow better than the stock one(which he thought was really really good) is not worth the 1-3kw you may gain.

The fastest 2ZZ's here in Aus all run stock cats. There are a few who have replaced them with Metal Cat "high flow"cat convertors but the difference is not really noticable at all. The money you spend on a cat would be better spent on something like a set of ported headers cause they cost about the same.

the catalytic converter is supposed to burn away a high percentage of polutants, bad gases, and unburnt fuel that comes from your cylinders before exiting into the atmosphere. the reason as to why your car is running lean is because nothing is burning the pollutants away so the O2 sensors reads it as... car running rich, i better cut down on the fuel squirting out of my injectors. you may get a better exhaust flow but causes your car to run lean. running too lean can cause excessive heat in your cylinders and actually burn away at the corners of your piston tops, gradually burning your piston rings and hey presto, new motor due. can also cause pistons to seize up. fuel that squirts into the cylinders believe it or not, actually plays a part in cooling. don't ask how lean is lean for it to happen, but believe me, it happens.

It very much is other peoples' business if someone wants to remove their cat, in much the same way that it is everybody's business when people drink-drive. Granted, cat removal is not as eminently dangerous to others as drink-driving, but the two acts are not necessarily victimless; other people are wilfully victimised when you drive around without the cat.

Please don't do it. If you go around telling people you de-catted your car, many are going to think you're a *****. Besides, it's against the law.

The fastest 2ZZ's here in Aus all run stock cats.

ahheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeem ..... i beg to differ :P :P :P :P Catco metal cat FTW !!!!!!!!!!

ahheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeem ..... i beg to differ :P :P :P :P Catco metal cat FTW !!!!!!!!!!

you'll notice my kebab loving friend that i put 2ZZ not 2ZZGTE

LOL. Kebab Power Mate! I would drive the distance just for that.

So how do u know what cat we are using in our specially built 2ZZ's then SB?

So how do u know what cat we are using in our specially built 2ZZ's then SB?

Sheesh!!! Does any one else want to have a sook about their cat?? My poor kitty has a bad cough..... might be a fur ball....

Besides Micky we are talking about street cars here not a full race prepped rally car...... slight difference :ph34r:

:yahoo: I aint bothered man pple can say what they want, a few of u say im stupid this and that i am pouluting the air bla bla bla but at the end of the day all cars are doing this so...whatever yer!! I dont realy care if ur dissing me!! Every1 is entitled to their opinion !