can anyone tell me from experience

what are the pros/cons to removing the snorkel from the stock box?

also does the standard immoboliser have sound for when you lock/unlock it?

im guessing it doesnt. if so i was looking for my key to turn something in the engine bay.

my old car had that function.but guessing its not an alarm system??

Edited by Brad-dreama

ive only taken out the resonator box and installed a K&N panel filter.

as far as i can tell... you lose <1kg of weight in the car, perhaps a bit more intake noise and thats about all lol!

Edited by J_J

Well Gav told me taking out the snorkel will add a bit of noise and feel a bit more grunty.

i might give it a try. and i might add a k&n filter too. i dont want to risk voiding warranty with a cai atm. not too mention i will do a few things before i get the cai eheh

Just re-install your stock air box when required to get your warranty.

He's just talking about the snorkel, no need to even touch the airbox. I reckon the initial impression is a massive let down, but a day or 2 later after some enthusiastic driving you will be thinking otherwise. ;) Add a panel filter and you might even squeeze a bit more out of it. Really, the only cost is the panel filter, and you might make 2/3 to 3/4 the power of a CAI at a 1/4 to 1/5 of the price!

Gav.

Well Gav told me taking out the snorkel will add a bit of noise and feel a bit more grunty.

i might give it a try. and i might add a k&n filter too. i dont want to risk voiding warranty with a cai atm. not too mention i will do a few things before i get the cai eheh

I can get you a genuine TRD airfilter for your airbox for a good price, ill have a few to show at the Sydney meet and TRD oil filters if anyone is interested from Sydney and anywhere else. :)

Sorry to hijack brad :)

I can get you a genuine TRD airfilter for your airbox for a good price, ill have a few to show at the Sydney meet and TRD oil filters if anyone is interested from Sydney and anywhere else. :)

how much for the air filter ?

how much for the air filter ?

I think he said something like $50 or a little more ill find out exactly next week, i know the oil filters are around the $30 mark

hehe no probs. well now that you jacked it haha, i want 1 of each ok!

BTW. a few of my mates( probably dont know what they are talking about)

they said that taking it off might be worse for it. just noise no power out put and suckingup hot air...

ill take your word for it gav! now i just have to work it out how to take it out ehehe.

i dont want to risk voiding warranty with a cai atm. not too mention i will do a few things before i get the cai eheh

You will be voiding warranty if you plan on lowering it, short shift, exhaust etc. I wouldnt bother touching the air box unless it was to add a SRI or CAI. There will be very little, to no benefit. As for the noise, It would be very hard to hear over the engine as it will be very soft.

well i was told that adding springs wouldnt void the warranty.

as for porting headers and exhaust that will be a while down the track anyway.

By the dealer? I asked the same question, and was told that if it altered or changed the car perfomance from standard that it will void warranty.

yea i spoke to the dealer.

and i called toyota service depo this morning.

they said that lowering it will not void the whole warranty!

but it will void certain parts. eg suspension will coid driveline gear box etc.

but exhaust will void things like engine gearbox etc.

hmm i really want to lower it. but gearbox is pretty important...

FYI (I never used them myself)

I've heard from quite a few people who have used aftermarket panel filters, most of them said it was a waste of money and time.

:o

I use a K&N panel filter. But then again I didn't pay $100 for it B) For that much money, or anything near that, it isn't worth it.

yea i spoke to the dealer.

and i called toyota service depo this morning.

they said that lowering it will not void the whole warranty!

but it will void certain parts. eg suspension will coid driveline gear box etc.

but exhaust will void things like engine gearbox etc.

hmm i really want to lower it. but gearbox is pretty important...

sounds odd to me

im pretty certain the warranty will only partially be void depending on your modifications.

i cant see how lowering the car will void the warranty for the whole driveline. I understand say if you put lowered springs in the car and the shocks fail then they wouldent be covered, likewise with any other component that comes in contact with the suspension. Gearbox ? Maybe if you put in a heavy duty clutch it will void the warranty, but not lowered springs! :)

when lowered you could basically wave goodbye to your driveshaft warranty too... Wouldn't suprise me having a service manager blame split cv boots or worn CV joints on a modified ride height... But CV's aren't that expensive to reco ;)

when lowered you could basically wave goodbye to your driveshaft warranty too... Wouldn't suprise me having a service manager blame split cv boots or worn CV joints on a modified ride height... But CV's aren't that expensive to reco ;)

I got a CV boot replaced under warranty while my Sportivo was lowered.

Guess you just have to know what to say and how to say it LOL

i was tempted to go back and get a engine gasket kit under warrenty after we found that coolant had eaten through one of the gasket sealants which would have eventually caused me problems ...... would have been interesting to show them the pics so they can see i had proof it had happened and then what their next question would have been to understand why i had a 2zz in pieces hahahahahahahahaha

I've heard from quite a few people who have used aftermarket panel filters, most of them said it was a waste of money and time.

I use a K&N panel filter. But then again I didn't pay $100 for it B) For that much money, or anything near that, it isn't worth it.

yea the guy at toyota said lowering it would put strain on the gearbox! :ph34r:

yea the guy at toyota said lowering it would put strain on the gearbox! :ph34r:

crackpipe