Painted engine cover

JIN

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now you'll have to paint the rest to match :P ...
haha yeah, was gonna say it looks fantastic, but now everything else around it looks crap in comparison :lol: .

- Will

Haha..Thanks guys.

Yeah, looks like i have to paint others to match with it.

i will just leave it for now...being too lazy to do it all.. :whistling:

man that looks mint!! im getting my SRI in a few weeks so im painting mine then the same colour :D

did u take the badge off when u did it? and how did u spray around the writing?

Edited by ELEGNT

man that looks mint!! im getting my SRI in a few weeks so im painting mine then the same colour :D

Thanks mate.

So SRI is all figured out? I saw the threads that having problems with SRI.

Hope things go well so we can see the result.:)

I bet you gonna paint it with shiny blue. :P

Thanks mate.

EDIT: ^^ more questions updated in last past as u posted sorry

yeh it was supposed to be this weekend but he couldnt slip me in so in the next few weeks ill be doing a trial one in mild steel the if its all good they will put a stainless one on

OK question for everone with a black engine cover do u recon keep the mild steel piping and just spray it black or go stainless?...dont no what i wanna go for...everthing black and sleek or shinny but there will be only 1 but of shinny thats the thing lol and i have a white Ultra racing strut brace should i leave it white or paint it too? painted will just look stock then, or chrome it?....ahhh so many options :(

and no defs black not blue....too rice for me

Edited by ELEGNT

Thanks mate.

yeh it was supposed to be this weekend but he couldnt slip me in so in the next few weeks ill be doing a trial one in mild steel the if its all good they will put a stainless one on

OK question for everone with a black engine cover do u recon keep the mild steel piping and just spray it black or go stainless?...dont no what i wanna go for...everthing black and sleek or shinny but there will be only 1 but of shinny thats the thing lol and i have a white Ultra racing strut brace should i leave it white or paint it too? painted will just look stock then, or chrome it?....ahhh so many options :(

Oops, my bad :P Sorry Rowan, you've got no idea how flatout we've been lately. I'm doing an extra 10+ hours a week just to cover my *****, and even then I'm only just keeping up. Good news is my pay has gone up a decent amount so I should have that Scantool before you know it.

If you want to do this SRI in mild steel, you could get it HPC coated? It would look a lot better than just painting (my current intake is painted matte black) but I've noticed it gets quite warm even on little drives and it shouldn't cost -too- much. Personally, I'm a fan of the chrome/stainless matched with black in the engine bay. Too many colours just looks ridiculous.

You can hit those black plastic covers with a dash protectant and they will end up looking a fair bit darker than they are now.

Thanks mate.

Oops, my bad :P Sorry Rowan, you've got no idea how flatout we've been lately. I'm doing an extra 10+ hours a week just to cover my *****, and even then I'm only just keeping up. Good news is my pay has gone up a decent amount so I should have that Scantool before you know it.

If you want to do this SRI in mild steel, you could get it HPC coated? It would look a lot better than just painting (my current intake is painted matte black) but I've noticed it gets quite warm even on little drives and it shouldn't cost -too- much. Personally, I'm a fan of the chrome/stainless matched with black in the engine bay. Too many colours just looks ridiculous.

You can hit those black plastic covers with a dash protectant and they will end up looking a fair bit darker than they are now.

no worries man just whenever you have time will be fine i dont want u to be put out of your way...do you know a place where i can get it coated? is it a spray on sh|t or is it like a wrap?

if i knew somone who did it i would chrome the cover(have a black badge and black writing) crome the strut bar and have the stainless SRI...if it wasnt to expensive

did u take the badge off when u did it? and how did u spray around the writing?

I used a paper tape.

I put the tpae on the wrinting and cut the tape around writing edge.

Once I painted, I just took the tape off from the writing. Easy DIY tho.

I am going to paint once again because the paiting around 'V' doesn't look right.

:lol:

the colour looks more at home than the original :lol:

HaHa!! I just didn't like the silver and wanted to try something else. :P

That engine bay looks mint!

I like it. maybe I have to think about CAI to match the clour? :lol:

Well..painting the cover was not on the plan.

I just got bored and saw the engine cover in my garage. (the cover was out becasue I am going to replace the earth cable soon)

When I saw the cover, one thought just flashed into my head that let's paint it in black! so I did. :whistling:

Edited by JIN

no worries man just whenever you have time will be fine i dont want u to be put out of your way...do you know a place where i can get it coated? is it a spray on sh|t or is it like a wrap?

if i knew somone who did it i would chrome the cover(have a black badge and black writing) crome the strut bar and have the stainless SRI...if it wasnt to expensive

Yeah, we can get stuff coated for you. It's a baked on ceramic coating, used mainly on exhaust manifolds but can also be used on intakes/manifolds, heads, pistons, etc. It stops the transfer of heat and is resistant to scratching, peeling, rust, all chemicals, etc.

When I get this AW11 built, I'm getting absolutely everything I can HPC coated.

You can buy chrome paint, not sure what it ends up looking like though.

Yeah, we can get stuff coated for you. It's a baked on ceramic coating, used mainly on exhaust manifolds but can also be used on intakes/manifolds, heads, pistons, etc. It stops the transfer of heat and is resistant to scratching, peeling, rust, all chemicals, etc.

When I get this AW11 built, I'm getting absolutely everything I can HPC coated.

You can buy chrome paint, not sure what it ends up looking like though.

yeh chrome paint in a can looks horrible its just silver. theres a mob down the coast that chrome dips bits for your car but there pretty exsy!

the coating turns out a grey'y colour hey? you obviouly can paint over the it but it wont have a nice smooth finish would it?

Edited by ELEGNT

My opinions Rowan... if you end up painting your engine cover, don't get your SRI in chrome or anything bright that stands out. You would need to make your engine bay more shiny for chrome to blend in nicely. Even with the silver engine cover, chrome is a little too bright. I would personally suggest having your SRI a matt black or similar colour. It will have a subtle look to it, but you will definitely see it's there.

My opinions Rowan... if you end up painting your engine cover, don't get your SRI in chrome or anything bright that stands out. You would need to make your engine bay more shiny for chrome to blend in nicely. Even with the silver engine cover, chrome is a little too bright. I would personally suggest having your SRI a matt black or similar colour. It will have a subtle look to it, but you will definitely see it's there.

yep thats exactly what im thinking....so am i able to paint over the coating drew? if so that will be what im going to do

yep thats exactly what im thinking....so am i able to paint over the coating drew? if so that will be what im going to do

It's a smooth, shiny finish that looks quite good and won't tarnish with heat. You can get silver, black, red, etc so there's a fair bit of choice around. I wouldn't paint over it :)

This is silver HPC

2jzgte%20hpc%20coating.jpg

And this is black

426.jpg

black is the go then :) u said use can do it at work, so ill be happy just getting the mild steel and getting use to put the HPC on.

back OT, JIN u obviously used heat protective paint on that cover right? and did u spray it with plastic primer before painting it?

Painted engine covers FTW. Did mine a few months ago when I had ZERO money to mod with...and some spare caliper paint (but not enough to do all calipers).

headlightss006s.jpg

Edited by apg39