Too much oil

I recently got my Sportivo serviced at a Toyota dealership and am 100% unhappy with their service. There are other problems with their service, but I am just wanting to know about engine oil for now.

They wrote down that they put in 4.7L of oil when my sump capacity (including filter) is 4.4L. There would have also been some oil already in the engine aswell. My dipstick is saying about 1.5cm above full and it is my only car, so I have been driving it still.

I brought this issue up with the Service manager immediately, but he didn't seem to want to help so I went to TMCA and by the looks of things they have told him to rectify the problems (which will be done at a different dealership as I have stated I will never go back to that one again).

My impression of their solution is that they wish to drain my oil, put the right amount in and problem solved.

My car is feeling sluggish, but I am not wanting to drive hard at all. What is short term damage (which I want them to inspect for) and long term damage?

Thanks

Josh

you'll probably have to clean or replace the spark plugs in the short term.

one long term thing is that depending on how high it is, the crankshaft can whip the oil in the sump into a froth, which decreases oil pressure due to the air bubbles being circulated throughout the engine as lubricant. this can result in overheating, blown gaskets, etc. not to mention the lack of power.

i'd definitely be checking all the seals for leakage, and the current oil for any metal shavings

obviously it was due to the dealers negligence, so any damage caused that can be proven to be directly related to overfilling the oil should be repaired by the original dealer

Edited by lateralus

Hope it all works out well for you Yoshi.

I've stopped taking my car to my Toyota dealer and am using the one that Daviboy recommended to me, but that's in Sydney. I think it's a known fact that a lot of apprentices work at dealerships.

The valve stems seals are the first to go if ur engine is regularly overfilled & maybe the cleaning of the sparkies (as lateralus sed)

I personally would send it back & make them do it right,u paying with ur hard earned cash & letting them get away with it..its take 10 min tops to rectify & let me remind you this should be free of charge under the terms of negligence..but thats me,i worked for dealerships..its been done

As said previously, I won't be paying for it, but I also want them to check things which may go wrong with the car as a result of their stupidity, which is why i am asking the possible things that can go wrong.

I know for a fact that their crap service has been happenning for around 12 months. According to them I was the one to point out to them that the service intervals of Sportivo differs from regular Corolla.

If I were more of a smart **** I wouldnt mind trying for a full refund of all of the services from them (labour side of it only) as number one listed on invoice is

"service performed by the book" $xxx (what ever the charge is)

Clearly they arent by the book.

I have been waiting for Toyota to do something. I called them yesterday and the person handling my case wasn't available. But the service manager called me and said I just have to tee up a time for the workt o get done at the second dealership now, for which I am calling tomorrow.

My biggest problem is that they have been serviceing my car for a while now and have they been doing this the whole time? as far as I am concerned they can replace anything that can be damaged by it incase there is damage to it.

Thanks all who advised in this thread :D

I have been waiting for Toyota to do something. I called them yesterday and the person handling my case wasn't available. But the service manager called me and said I just have to tee up a time for the workt o get done at the second dealership now, for which I am calling tomorrow.

My biggest problem is that they have been serviceing my car for a while now and have they been doing this the whole time? as far as I am concerned they can replace anything that can be damaged by it incase there is damage to it.

Thanks all who advised in this thread :D

Why don't you just drain a bit of oil out? It's not worth damaging your only transport just to prove a fairly minor point. If you know anybody who is a mechanic, take it to them and get them to write out a report on the car.

i'm with random hero, the lower seals (front and rear main) could likley seap oil from the pressure created, but you know it's too much when your dipstick shoots off like a bottle rocket lol. but the amount you're talking about aint to worry about, when it's half way up the stick then worry..... IMO

just drain it yourself and stop being pedantic, yes they f#$%ed up but still is it worth wasting your time for some theirs.

those people work there are really careless of your car! last time I also got oil overfilled. and changed myself actually.

if you could DIY, then DIY. don't let them touch your car anymore.

its a joke that toyota always advertise that noboday knows your toyota better than us

A year or so ago , I took my 1996 4cyl Camry to a workshop in Arden St , North Melbourne because they were close to work.

I had been there a couple of times for a basic service , with no dramas , but this time , I checked the oil the day after the service and it was DOUBLE the normal level as shown in the dipstick.

The oil filter seemed to have been changed , so whichever idiot did the job must have filled it twice and not checked the oil level.

I took the car back the next day and they rectified the problem.

But , there is no way I will be taking my car to these clowns again.

Im actually tempted to buy a set of ramps etc and do oil and filter changes myself , after all its damn easy.