Aurion ZR6 Dash Rattle

bgmills

Hi. New to the Toyota forum. I have a 2007 Aurion Sportivo ZR6 with 45,000 Kms on it. It has just come out of it's 3 year factory warranty in May. In the last few weeks it has developed a really annoying rattle in the dash area when driving on bumpy or uneven surfaces. The rattle seems to be coming from either the middle or the drivers side of the dash. Does anyone have any ideas? Appreciate any help.

Welcome to the forum. You should become familiar with a topic located at the very top of this board titled:

The TOCAU Aurion FAQ

In it you will see (in particular, the first bit of bold text):

This FAQ is should be constantly expanding as time goes on. If there is a question here that is not answered,
try doing a search first before posting another thread
. If you think there is something that I should add in, don't hesitate to PM me (this will help reduce chatter in the thread). Hope this helps a little.

----------

Q) My dash rattles and/or I have various creaks in my Aurion. Can this be fixed?

A)
The Aurion does seem to come out of the factory with dash rattles and odd creaks here and there. Some owners have it more serious than others. This can be fixed under warranty by Toyota, but the process will usually require a few trips to and from the dealer to get them to fix it. Fixing it involves removing the dash and insulating some clips here and there.

Threads of interest:

----------

Obviously if you are out of warranty, getting this fixed for free is not going to be easy... if you can even manage to convince them.

Hi. New to the Toyota forum. I have a 2007 Aurion Sportivo ZR6 with 45,000 Kms on it. It has just come out of it's 3 year factory warranty in May. In the last few weeks it has developed a really annoying rattle in the dash area when driving on bumpy or uneven surfaces. The rattle seems to be coming from either the middle or the drivers side of the dash. Does anyone have any ideas? Appreciate any help.

Unfortunate timing :(

Toyota dealers should have some experience with this one, so if you speak with your dealer they should be able to tell you if the noise is a known one from the front dash pad clips. If it is, then they can quote you on the retail repair. It's a big job, so expect a price with too many numbers before the decimal point! Be nice and ask if there is anything they could do about the high price.

If they can't and you're the hands-on type, the dealer might be able to help you out in ordering the parts and you can track down a repair manual ...

Toyota dealers should have some experience with this one, so if you speak with your dealer they should be able to tell you if the noise is a known one from the front dash pad clips. If it is, then they can quote you on the retail repair. It's a big job, so expect a price with too many numbers before the decimal point! Be nice and ask if there is anything they could do about the high price.

If they can't and you're the hands-on type, the dealer might be able to help you out in ordering the parts and you can track down a repair manual ...

Any idea if they would be likely to fix still only being 5 weeks out of warranty? Worth a try i guess??

Any idea if they would be likely to fix still only being 5 weeks out of warranty? Worth a try i guess??

Of course its worth a try, they won't bite your head off. I was 1 and a half months over my service advantage expiry but my dealer still honoured my $120 service advantage fee :). So it won't kill.

OK so I checked with my dealer and apparently (showed me the entry on their computer) has already fitted the dash pad/rattle kit. So given it has already been done under warranty they are pretty much saying tough luck. I asked if there was a way that perhaps the kit could have come loose or moved and they suggested not. So I am left with perhaps trying to have a go at this myself I think. Has anyone got any experience with how to get the speedo area of the dash out or the whole dash so I can at least get in there and see what it might be? Appreciate any help. Cheers.

OK so I checked with my dealer and apparently (showed me the entry on their computer) has already fitted the dash pad/rattle kit. So given it has already been done under warranty they are pretty much saying tough luck. I asked if there was a way that perhaps the kit could have come loose or moved and they suggested not. So I am left with perhaps trying to have a go at this myself I think. Has anyone got any experience with how to get the speedo area of the dash out or the whole dash so I can at least get in there and see what it might be? Appreciate any help. Cheers.

The way I read that, they've just admitted to shoddy work. If they've done it under warranty, then is that work and part also under a warranty of its own? Do you know when it was done?

Edited by boxerboy

The way I read that, they've just admitted to shoddy work. If they've done it under warranty, then is that work and part also under a warranty of its own? Do you know when it was done?

Was done in October 2008. Thing is it has been fine for the last 18 months!

I'm not sure what warranty they offer on work performed. Just because the car is out of warranty shouldn't mean the work done is out of warranty as well.

That being said, it would be a wager to demand they fix it - along the lines that if they pulled everything out and found it was another part that has broken, then you would be liable to pay them for the work they had done. By denying that there was any chance the clip could have broken again they've pretty much guaranteed that the only way they'll do it under that parts warranty is if you agree to pay for it in advance should it not be the problem.

If that makes any sense :S

The speedo comes out fairly easily, but I don't think you can see far back enough to see how it mounts to the firewall. Certainly not enough to replace the buggered clip.

I'm not sure what warranty they offer on work performed. Just because the car is out of warranty shouldn't mean the work done is out of warranty as well.

That being said, it would be a wager to demand they fix it - along the lines that if they pulled everything out and found it was another part that has broken, then you would be liable to pay them for the work they had done. By denying that there was any chance the clip could have broken again they've pretty much guaranteed that the only way they'll do it under that parts warranty is if you agree to pay for it in advance should it not be the problem.

If that makes any sense :S

The speedo comes out fairly easily, but I don't think you can see far back enough to see how it mounts to the firewall. Certainly not enough to replace the buggered clip.

Yeah it would be a costly exercise to have them do it out of warranty if I had to pay for the lot. I really think it might be something other than the original fix. I pulled out the two push pin fasteners in the top of the speedo surround but couldn't seem to work out how to detach the bottom of the surround. Also considering getting a mechanic's stethoscope (about $30) to see if i can track it down further.

The two pieces directly below the cluster fascia need to come out first. If I recall they just pull out (Clipped in). The dash surround can then be popped out too

The two pieces directly below the cluster fascia need to come out first. If I recall they just pull out (Clipped in). The dash surround can then be popped out too

When you say the two pieces directly below do you mean the bit where the push to start button is on the left and where the reverse sonar button is on the right?

When you say the two pieces directly below do you mean the bit where the push to start button is on the left and where the reverse sonar button is on the right?

Yes. I usually pop out the big panel just below them a bit as well, but that one doesn't need to come off completely. Just helps to get a better grip.