Did i get a good deal or ripped off?

ravvy4

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a brand new 2010 Rav4 Cruiser with Metallic paint from a toyota dealer last week. It's the FWD model with 4 cyl.

I was given mats and 5 year warranty for $36,500.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Edited by ravvy4

Welcome mate.

I'm not sure whether you got a good deal or not, but what's done is done. What if you didn't get a good deal? What can you do about it?

i would have gone for a V6 since the 4 banger is abit underpowered with the porky RAV4...

^ johnnieboi - all Rav4s are FWD with the rears kicking in when the ECU detects tyre slipping in the fronts or a latch under the steering column manually turns on AWD mode provided u keep it under 40km/hr... :P

True that the RAV is FWD most of the time, it's AWD always at start up (of the line), and the rear wheels do not only come in when the ecu detect the front wheels slipping, it also anticipates slippage e.g. high speed cornering. It's also true that you can manually lock the AWD by the manual over-ride button upto speeds of 40km/h, but this does not mean that the AWD does not kick in over 40km/h. Its just that the manual over-ride will hold the AWD in place even if it is not necessary.

Ok thanks guys for the feedback so far.

I've got another question. I just realized the Rav4 doesn't have reverse sensors fitted in as standard.

Toyota quoted me AUD$695 for two sensors.

I think that's a little steep.. do you think it is necessary to install them on my RAV?

$600+ is quite steep. I don't have reverse sensors and find the Rav pretty easy to park (reverse park, pararell park etc). I'm sure you'll also get used to it. But it all comes down to your skills in the end. If you feel more comfortable with reverse sensors, maybe its a good investment now rather than later just in case.

yes I realized it's a bit steep too. Having driven a honda city for a few years, i've gotten used to relying on the sensors. I'll take your advice and try it out for a month or so without sensors.

Anyway, do you guys normally negotiate the purchase of toyotas to under MSRP?

My standard rule of thumb is to at least visit 3 dealerships. When I purcahsed the Rav I actually spent 2 weeks shopping around and visited 4 dealerships. I got quotes from each one, I guess they did fight for my business. I got a pretty good deal as well. So was happy with that. With car dealerships you must always negotiate!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Reverse Sensors are a good parking assist option but the camera is a lot better...

Only 2 sensors are fitted to the outside bumper corners leaving a massive blindspot in the middle, which the camera fills up...

For the genuine Reverse Camera you will need a head unit with a screen in it, so that will be another extra cost if you don't have one as standard...

^ johnnieboi - all Rav4s are FWD with the rears kicking in when the ECU detects tyre slipping in the fronts or a latch under the steering column manually turns on AWD mode provided u keep it under 40km/hr... :P

That's incorrect. Toyota released the 2WD model a couple of months ago, the op may have got that version instead, so it's worth checking which one you have.

If you pay that much for the AWD version, then it's a good deal.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a brand new 2010 Rav4 Cruiser with Metallic paint from a toyota dealer last week. It's the FWD model with 4 cyl.

I was given mats and 5 year warranty for $36,500.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

You pretty much got the car with the on roads paid for by the dealer ... not too bad.

I just got one same as yours for the same price but also got a tow bar, nudge bar and driving lights included :o)

• 1 month later...

i would have gone for a V6 since the 4 banger is abit underpowered with the porky RAV4...

Is the rav4 really underpowered with power at 125 and torque at 224.Read all reviews but no one wrote anything about it being underpowered,though what struck me was that I had test driven the honda cr-v and with similar readings,it came across as underpowered. I would like it if this point could be clarified. Albeit, I also read that the v6 was too powerful for the rav4 body weight and caused a lot of torque steer at sudden acceleration.

Is the rav4 really underpowered with power at 125 and torque at 224.Read all reviews but no one wrote anything about it being underpowered,though what struck me was that I had test driven the honda cr-v and with similar readings,it came across as underpowered. I would like it if this point could be clarified. Albeit, I also read that the v6 was too powerful for the rav4 body weight and caused a lot of torque steer at sudden acceleration.

I hate how people "think" there is too much torque steer with the RAV4 V6. I can floor the car with 2 fingers on the steering wheel so please stop complaining about something is the OVER exaggerated.

I think I got a pretty good deal, despite my feelings that I was given a pretty poor trade value for my older Camry ($3,000). I guess in a way I did get more for it, as they discounted the price of the Rav4 a fair bit.

Changeover figure was $30,000 for a 2011 Rav4 Cruiser Manual 2.4L 2WD. Only extras were metallic paint (graphite) and towbar.

• 6 months later...

$600+ is quite steep.

Hmm.. I just purchased a second hand 2004 RAV4, which now in hindsight, I paid way too much for!

I wanted reverse sensors on it and the lady that sold all the paint protection stuff sold me 4 head reverse sensors for $795! She didn't even show me any brochures or anything, just put $795 on paper.

A week later when I picked up the car, there were only 2 head sensors!

I raised this with the dealer who we then dealt with the lady that sold it to us and she claimed that this model RAV4 could only accomodate 2 head sensors. I then asked if I could get reimbursed for the difference and she claims that there is not much difference in the price! Which I find hard to believe!

Other than having been ripped off with the initial sale of 4 head sensors for $795.00, is there anything that I can do to get reimburssed for the difference?

Cheers...