knocking noise when engaging clutch

Hey guys. Did a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

Anyways, I have a knocking noise coming from the engine bay when I engage my clutch upshifting/downshifting in gear when rolling. I also hear the knocking noise when I take off in 1st gear. Doesn't happen when I slowly release the clutch to engage.

Knocking also happens when I'm tapping the gas pedal lightly in gear mainly in 3rd and 4th gears. Sometimes happens in 2nd.

Knocking noise is not continuous. It happens only when the clutch grabs on to the flywheel. Knocking noise happens once or twice. Doesn't happen when I'm driving or cruising in gear or heavy acceleration.

I know my mechanic did change the bearings when he put in the HD clutch and lightened flywheel so I hope its not something too serious. Anyone shed abit of light on this? Greatly appreciated

Cheers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oook....

check ur engine mounts, could be when the motor rocks back n forth when changing gears ur front/back mount is rooted...

another thing of the top of my head maybe ur clutch disc is stuffed, or the springs are stuffed...

um is it from the centre of the car or sides of the car?

is there a knock over bumps or just gear changes?

when was the clutch changed?

is it a knock, or a bearing noise ie thrust bearing?

oook....

check ur engine mounts, could be when the motor rocks back n forth when changing gears ur front/back mount is rooted...

another thing of the top of my head maybe ur clutch disc is stuffed, or the springs are stuffed...

um is it from the centre of the car or sides of the car?

is there a knock over bumps or just gear changes?

when was the clutch changed?

is it a knock, or a bearing noise ie thrust bearing?

engine mounts are ruled out as i got the engine mount inserts to stop them from moving. the rears have also washers to keep them seated where they are supposed to...

clutch was changed to xtreme HD clutch and xtreme lightened flywheel in january this year.

to more accurately describe the noise. u know the "locking into gear noise when u change to the solid bearing for the gear selector cables. its like "clunk clunk" (but not as loud, have to listen very carefully to hear it). doens't happen over humps or bumps. thrust bearing def not it because no noise when i disengage the clutch/neutral.

Crap... I hope it doesn't have to b that... :( I've only grinded it a few times (from clutch dragging). Surely that's not enough to screw it up! :(

Im running the exact same thing as kenshin and car drives like a dream, and ken i can also hear a little knocking noise in my car but i was guessing engine mounts played around with the car a bit it only happens in reverse for me.

But ill get my engine mounts checked, because im pretyt sure there the orignals ones from factory

Just remember that although these motors move around alot in the mounts you will find they aren't a highly routine part that needs changing, im not saying your mount or mounts are fine Red but just some food for thought.

Hey guys. Did a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

Anyways, I have a knocking noise coming from the engine bay when I engage my clutch upshifting/downshifting in gear when rolling. I also hear the knocking noise when I take off in 1st gear. Doesn't happen when I slowly release the clutch to engage.

Knocking also happens when I'm tapping the gas pedal lightly in gear mainly in 3rd and 4th gears. Sometimes happens in 2nd.

Knocking noise is not continuous. It happens only when the clutch grabs on to the flywheel. Knocking noise happens once or twice. Doesn't happen when I'm driving or cruising in gear or heavy acceleration.

I know my mechanic did change the bearings when he put in the HD clutch and lightened flywheel so I hope its not something too serious. Anyone shed abit of light on this? Greatly appreciated

Cheers

Are you able to give an idea as to an equivalent knocking noise like knocking on a window or knocking on a door? Something like a whoomp whoomp whoomp would be a wheel bearing for example. Were the flywheel bolts change as toyota bolts are a use once bolt? Some have used them twice but when they are designed to stretch, then they would be a use once bolt. Maybe it is the lash in the gearbox? Try to explain the knock or even record it.

Until then.....

Well as I said before the noise is similar to changing gears once the gear is locked in. Another noise that would be similar is when u stall the car its a "doof" sound but not as severe.

Except this sound happens two times (doof-doof) and that's it. Only when clutch engages/shifting into gear (mainly 4th n 5th)

Yes flywheel bolts were changed and bushings were changed too. Sound would be too subtle to hear on video... :(

Edit: also I just did remember a few days ago I heard a loud "donk" coming from the left. Thought I ran over something on the road but then I looked at the rear vision mirror and saw nothing. I didn't think twice about it afterwards but only noticed the sound yesterday

Yes flywheel bolts were changed and bushings were changed too. Sound would be too subtle to hear on video... :(

Edit: also I just did remember a few days ago I heard a loud "donk" coming from the left. Thought I ran over something on the road but then I looked at the rear vision mirror and saw nothing. I didn't think twice about it afterwards but only noticed the sound yesterday

Wheel nuts are tight? Drive shafts are tight? Drive shaft engaged in the gearbox correctly? Spanner left under bonnet? Does it happen out of the car with your head under the bonnet? Inner control arm bushes? Is the sound coming through the body or through your left foot? You have coil overs? Are they loose? I know you have inserts on the engine mounts, but, are the mounts gone? How many KMs so far out of interest? Seized front brake caliper? Wheel bearings?

If you can get the noise to rise it's ugly head when you are out of the car(axle stands) then use a piece of dowel or better still a mechanics stethoscope and determine where the noise is.

umm yeah i'm pretty sure my mechanic did them up tight... some things i cant really do myself so i'm just going to take it easy and see what my mechanic says on wednesday morning... hopefully its not a severe problem :(

umm yeah i'm pretty sure my mechanic did them up tight... some things i cant really do myself so i'm just going to take it easy and see what my mechanic says on wednesday morning... hopefully its not a severe problem :(

Take care and drive safe.......

something tells me shock, when motor rocking movement through the driveshaft goes to hub then shock, im outa ideas unless im in the car listening

so u think driveshaft is the culprit? if thats the case then i'm telling aami to fix it again becuz it was overhualed after i had the accident

ok mechanic looked at it and concluded its not in the clutch assembly. he said it could be the input shaft of the gearbox that's loose...which means... i will need to get a new box... #@%^#$^#$%@$!#$!#%#$^#$ not fixing the old one because of the labour costs and the things that can go wrong AFTER its been fixed. prefer to swap over to a new one and sell this one off to someone who needs internals and such. the thing is when he put a stethoscope to the gear box when it was knocking, he could not hear the noise from inside the box! very confusing. so he isn't sure 100% thats the box. i'm still going in and out of gears ok, sometimes difficult to get into gear (but that was always the case since i bought the car anyways)

he said to drive it more and if the noise gets worse, bring it in so they can locate the noise more accurately. his reasoning behind concluding that its the input shaft is that when i'm idle, i put it in gear and then to neutral and let go of the clutch, it makes a "donk" noise. he said the only thing that moves when i clutch out after i put the gear in neutral is the input shaft. after releasing the clutch and then pumping it in neutral, the noise doesn't happen again.

so i will keep driving until it gets worse i guess. and live with the noise for now. i'm going to ask for a second opinion and see how that goes...

I'd say you've got a cracked spring retainer in the clutch plate rather than a problem within the gearbox.

When you release the clutch the center of the clutch plate torques when it takes up and tries to turn the input shaft. Once the retainer fully gives way and the spring falls out the clutch will usually jam so you can't disengage it. Happens on the exedy and extreme plates, the extreme plates tend to use a PBR center which has a different retainer design but I've still personally removed a couple of those which have broken.

I'd say you've got a cracked spring retainer in the clutch plate rather than a problem within the gearbox.

When you release the clutch the center of the clutch plate torques when it takes up and tries to turn the input shaft. Once the retainer fully gives way and the spring falls out the clutch will usually jam so you can't disengage it. Happens on the exedy and extreme plates, the extreme plates tend to use a PBR center which has a different retainer design but I've still personally removed a couple of those which have broken.

thanks for this. is it possible for my mechanic to view it without taking the box off? he looked at it using a tool where he sticks the line with a camera inside a hole to see what was going on inside the clutch when i was engaging the disengaging the clutch. he asked me to crank the engine over but just enough to rotate the clutch/flywheel 180 degrees so it could check the other side. apparently everything is in working order.

I'm not sure if you'd be able to see the cracked retainers through the fingers of the clutch cover with an inspection camera.

I'm not sure if you'd be able to see the cracked retainers through the fingers of the clutch cover with an inspection camera.

+1, pressure plate forks will make it real hard to see clutch plate with a camera

Also if the input shaft is lose? That would be the circlip on the centre bearing for input shaft.. This circlip sits under gear 5 assembly. In the outer gearbox assembly, but doubt it's that..

Som1 correct me if I'm wrong

Edited by 123R-Prozak