knocking noise when engaging clutch

Say if there is something wrong with the clutch. Would it be replaced under warantee? Would they cover the labour costs as well or will it come out of my pocket?

Also would this be the reason of faulty clutch or human error? I have not crunched any time since I had the new clutch installed. I've only had it under 10,000kms plus only 4 months

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

u should ask the guy who installed it for you about the labour cost will it cover in the warranty cos it should normally have the workmanship warranty when u install the clutch, but that varies from shop to shop. if it's a clutch fault the best is to contact the guy who installed it and where u got the clutch from

thanks mark. I really want my mechanic to crack it open and look at it. guess ill ask him tomorrow. I always thought if the clutch was faulty, the workmanship isn't included as the workmanship is 100% but the clutch. so its not the installers fault so I have to fork out the cash myself?

its not the guys fault that installed it... thats why u need to ask if he includes parts and labour warranty, not just warranty on the parts... u may have to pay labour but the parts will be under warranty..

again depends if exedy offers parts and labour warranty.... ask him!!

again not his fault the part stuffed up... its hard to install it dodgy ie backwards ...

if u know the mechanic well i dont think he'll charge u a big amount since he's the one installed it of course if he want to solve the problem so u won't complain to him again next time

alright, i'm going to ask xtreme how their warranty conditions are. but i plan to drive it abit longer to see if it fixes itself. if not, before i track i'm making sure i'm getting it checked out before i do any hard driving. i wana fix things before more things get broken

have you tracked it or shifted hard on the current clutch?

yes both. once on the track with it and with a few hard shifts from 1st to 2nd now and then. but i haven't crunched/grinded/dragged the gears/clutch since this new clutch and flywheel were put in. i only noticed the sound the sunday before which was well after my track day in march.

I just looked on the xtreme website. they offer a warranty on workmanship and faulty parts.

http://www.xtremeclutch.com.au/page.asp?parentid=9&parent2id=27

i reckon i will see how this clutch and flywheel go for a few more months. and if it still makes the noise before track day in november, i'll make sure i get it checked out. i dont want anything to happen when i'm tracking my car. i want it to perform 130%.

• 3 weeks later...

ok i recieved my car back from the guys who repaired my car when it was in the accident.

they said they the linkages were loose so they made them more tight by putting in the washers so there itsnt any rattling on the gear shifter. that didn't help the noise. they also said that there is a bit of "freeplay" in the drive shaft but they said thats normal and even new cars have that "Freeplay" in them. i'm not satisfied about this.

so what should i do? take it further or just bring it back to them for them to check it again? now i can sometimes hear the clunking noise now when i'm cruising on the road... -_-

also, i should note that there is slight shuddering and vibration at low cruising speeds. some researching on the internet had brought me to this site

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch22/22tsdriveshaft.html

clunking when shifting through gears.... check

vibration or shuddering when accelerating from stop to low speed.... check

knocking or clicking noise.... check

i'm thinking its the drive shaft. they did overhaul the one that was bent and i'm thinking it would have been better if they replaced it with a second hand/brand new one.

any opinions guys?

If it was bent they should of replaced it, my suspension didnt look "bent" but they replaced it anyway the slightest touch to the gutter can bend anything on the car.

Uhm speak to your insurance maybe try another smash repairer?>

If it was bent they should of replaced it, my suspension didnt look "bent" but they replaced it anyway the slightest touch to the gutter can bend anything on the car.

Uhm speak to your insurance maybe try another smash repairer?>

im going to follow it up now and start ringing around for a replacement. would there is anything else APART from the drive shaft that would possibly be bent/damaged? does the drive shaft consist of the U-joints and splines or are they seperate from them?

also, i should note that there is slight shuddering and vibration at low cruising speeds. some researching on the internet had brought me to this site

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch22/22tsdriveshaft.html

clunking when shifting through gears.... check

vibration or shuddering when accelerating from stop to low speed.... check

knocking or clicking noise.... check

i'm thinking its the drive shaft. they did overhaul the one that was bent and i'm thinking it would have been better if they replaced it with a second hand/brand new one.

any opinions guys?

The site you have referred to is for a rear wheel drive car, all of those symptoms happened on my 1975 Hilux. There aren't U joints in a frontwheel drive car as far as I know, however, there are constant velocity joints attached to the drive shafts in a front wheel drive car. It could be the bearing on the drivers side drive shaft. If you lived a bit closer I would say bring it over and we will have a look. As RedSportivo says, "If it was bent they should have replaced it".

What are the details of the accident? Is your insurance company a life time warranty type?

The site you have referred to is for a rear wheel drive car, all of those symptoms happened on my 1975 Hilux. There aren't U joints in a frontwheel drive car as far as I know, however, there are constant velocity joints attached to the drive shafts in a front wheel drive car. It could be the bearing on the drivers side drive shaft. If you lived a bit closer I would say bring it over and we will have a look. As RedSportivo says, "If it was bent they should have replaced it".

What are the details of the accident? Is your insurance company a life time warranty type?

lets recap... this is what the wheel looked like when i hit it...

DSC01276.jpg

the rearleft was abit of a scratch but no damage to the torsion beam

DSC01277.jpg

no i didn't take pictures of the hubs and stuff with the wheel off... (or maybe i did, i'll have a look later)

i have the list of things the mechanical repair place did for me here

part1.jpg

part2.jpg

the only concern is this one here...

program.jpg

"repair and allign"

when i was dropping in and out of the work shop to give them the oils and fluids and other things, i asked where my drive shaft was, the guy said its been sent to be "overhauled" now i'm thinking there was some sort of damage on the drive shaft to be "overhauled" i didnt ask the details why. but he did say that "it will drive like new" so told me to "not worry"

yes my insurance has the life time guarantee on the repairs.

so u reckon the above link is for rear wheel drive eh? ummm... interesting so what does the front shaft join to in the front wheel drive? would it be possible that when i hit the gutter, something else inside the gearbox would have been damaged? i'm thinking where the drive shaft links in the gearbox.

it wont be the driveshaft.

Although it is interesting that they charged for a repack of the driveshaft CV's and a complete exchange shaft. The exchange shafts come with both the inner and outer CV's assembled with new boots etc.

The usual test for worn CV's is to find a large empty area where you can drive figure-8's lock to lock and listen for cyclic clicking noises from the front end.

Edited by CHA54

it will be the CV joint making the noise possibly, but can't conform unless taken out and inspect, should ask them to replace it as well since is going through insurance

it wont be the driveshaft.

Although it is interesting that they charged for a repack of the driveshaft CV's and a complete exchange shaft. The exchange shafts come with both the inner and outer CV's assembled with new boots etc.

The usual test for worn CV's is to find a large empty area where you can drive figure-8's lock to lock and listen for cyclic clicking noises from the front end.

cool, i'll try this but i'm sure i've locked it plenty of times without it making any noise.

You are insured with AAMI, then I would take it to the assessment centre and have the assessor hear what noise you are referring to, (lifetime guarantee).

You have had a lot of nuts and bolts undone. It might be worth the time of your mechanic to check and tighten every bolt that you have had undone.

Otherwise a "pedders 1575 point safety check" or equivalent might bring the problem to light.

You are insured with AAMI, then I would take it to the assessment centre and have the assessor hear what noise you are referring to, (lifetime guarantee).

You have had a lot of nuts and bolts undone. It might be worth the time of your mechanic to check and tighten every bolt that you have had undone.

Otherwise a "pedders 1575 point safety check" or equivalent might bring the problem to light.

Yes I have rang aami up and have them push the matter forward. I do not want to wait for something to happen. The first time I took it back to the place who fixed it, they went thru all nuts and bolts and made sure all were tight.

• 1 month later...

update on this noise... rang AAMI up and asked them what was going on and they said that the repairer was waiting for his OK to open the drive shaft as this is where they think the noise is coming from there. finally some bloody progress in this thing. hopefully they can fix it or give me a hire car straight away. having no car frustrates me to the max

Dam weird problem but hitting a gutter can cause damage where you would least expect and now its with the insurance DONT take it back till its complete.

i feel for u duy i had a similar problems with insurance but yours have extended way out of my lead man good luck :)