TRD CAI - Quick Question

I dont get you guys, anything over $350 is just a huge ripoff, even $350 is expensive, but $500  :o for an aluminium pipe and a pod?

I just purchased an Injen CAI for AU$213 inc. shipping. There's some great deals out there if your willing to shop around. :)

Where the fudge did you get it for $213AU Including shipping...??

just bought mine for $250US aka $339 AU shipped

Champion Toyota in Houston Texas, last one reduced from US$336 to US$100. Sorry dude.

They've got some good deals on other stuff if you're interested. Here's the link:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...47&catalog=3474

Come on guys, don't b!tch too much about the pricing. If you cannot afford it, dont start commenting about it. Whatever it is u decide, just make sure u get your CAI. Be it custom, branded or non-branded, just get it.

Good point Danz...

I did look into custom though and it was gonna cost he best part of $150 - $200 to get someone to do it properley, then add on $75 - $100 for a pod....mmmm the price starts getting up there doesn't it.

To make comment on why TRD didn't do a shorter intake. I have actually read something about this before. It comes down to ease vs practicality.

Like Rollamods said, they did take the easy option of sticking it down where all other manufacturers do, however by shortening it to a position similar to where the stock air box is, you need to get direct air there. And the only way to do that is to either:

1) Run piping to an suitable intake location (easier to do what they have done)

2) Sheilding the pod off from the rest of the bay and installing a bonnet intake/scoop for airflow. (Yes, I know it sounds crazy, but there is actually a use for the bug catchers on some cars.... :P )

Myself, I am going to be going with the TRD product myself for a numebr of reasons..

1) I like the colour

2) Although it is not a recognised Toyota part, it has credability as far as I am concerned being the manufacturer works closely with Toyota, and their reputation for this partnership is at stake if they produce 'crap' products. I am not saying that the other products are crap. I am saying that they obvoiusly don't have the full support of TMC like TRD do.

3) I like the colour

4) I just want to....

My goal is to look at what sort of gains there are with the fog light missing as opposed to leaving the fog light in, and realistically, if the obvious gains are there by not having a fog light, then I will look into getting the inserts of the ascent and putting the 'ol Dremel to work to actually may it an airvent and not a wanna-be air vent....

All $$$$ though and time, both of which are not in my favour at the moment...

Anyway, short piping or short ram intake gives u better respond than Cold Air Intake, but power is not as much. True to the idea of, shorter distance gives u less travel for air to enter the engine. I did a short ram DIY before, I can tell you it is better in term of respond than my CAI. But power wise, CAI is better.

Back to the point, if you feel the price for branded is too expensive, don't buy one. Look for cheaper alternative and head that way.

Edited by Danz

lol i actually agree with you there i almost bought a TRD CAI but then i decided to design my own CAI wich i think may give me better gains as the current CAI's dont really give many people any HP gains i herd of some people losing HP so it can't be that good the extra noise for less HP or just stay with what you got i know i would rather keep what i got

anyways i know somone who designed there own CAI and they got 12KW where there mate bought a proper CAI and lost 1 KW (keep in mind that this wasnt a corolla but i still think it will work the same)

so ill get it started and hopefully finished and let you all know how i went hopefully im not wasting my money LOL but i guess somone has to give it a go hey

but hey ive herd the TRD CAI's and i think they sound AWESOME but thats about it i didnt think the car went any faster than mine without one

used a full stop lately? it's a bit tiring to read stuff like that...

Edited by shaohaok

lol i actually agree with you there i almost bought a TRD CAI but then i decided to design my own CAI wich i think may give me better gains as the current CAI's dont really give many people any HP gains i herd of some people losing HP so it can't be that good the extra noise for less HP or just stay with what you got i know i would rather keep what i got

anyways i know somone who designed there own CAI and they got 12KW where there mate bought a proper CAI and lost 1 KW (keep in mind that this wasnt a corolla but i still think it will work the same)

so ill get it started and hopefully finished and let you all know how i went hopefully im not wasting my money LOL but i guess somone has to give it a go hey

but hey ive herd the TRD CAI's and i think they sound AWESOME but thats about it i didnt think the car went any faster than mine without one

used a full stop lately? it's a bit tiring to read stuff like that...

well i just re read what i wrote and there was only 1 full stop missing so if only 1 full stop missing makes your brain tired then maybe you should re learn how to read english before attempting to read anymore :rolleyes:

I just recently finished a DIY with my AEM CAI in 02 conquest

It actually turned out to be quite a turd of a job...dont know if everyone else had the same thing, by with my car, where the pod is supposed to sit (behind the front bumper infront of the left front wheel) was a water draining tank for the standing air box that was bolted to the chassis.

So it ended up being i had to dissmantle the whole front bumper to take this water tank out, which was ok, i didnt break anything and got to clean places i had never seen before, haha.

Also had issues finding an allen key to fit the screws provided to fit the MAF sensor into the mount, so instead i gained some skills with needle nosed plyers...HAHA.

AND the pod did not fit on the end of the pipe AT ALL. They were both like, the exact same size, so i had to cut the rubber rim of the pod and use some hefty macho to fit the turd on, then just used the metal ring clamp to clamp the shiznet out of it.

This all took about 5 hours by the way...

After all this was done...the plastic "insert" that you were referring to Azza...i did a little mod job on that and drilled/chisseled/sanded out two "slits" that lead directly to the pod, giving much more "cold air" than the air sucked from the front skirt, without consuming small creatures. I condsidered discarding this insert entirely but it looks like garbage and the pod would have taken a beating.

Looks a bit dodgy, but works as intended, i am happy with the finished result.

Also from what my extensive research indicates, a shorter intake pipe gives better throttle response and a longer intake pipe gives more torque.

sorry maybe 2 full stops and 1 ,

even though its not a big sentence so it shouldnt be that hard to read

well just try not to lump all your words together without a comma or a full stop or any punctuation because i hope that u can understand not everybody reads english as well as you do so at least be a bit more considerate so that people do not lose patience with your threads or cannot be bothered to reply at all since they will not be able to read your exact post which means that they cannot help u even if they wanted to

i think i am not the only one who shares that view around here and please do not start on my english as i really think it is quite a reasonable request to ask for some punctuation heck we do not even need to buy vowels around here ;)

well just try not to lump all your words together without a comma or a full stop or any punctuation because i hope that u can understand not everybody reads english as well as you do so at least be a bit more considerate so that people do not lose patience with your threads or cannot be bothered to reply at all since they will not be able to read your exact post which means that they cannot help u even if they wanted to

i think i am not the only one who shares that view around here and please do not start on my english as i really think it is quite a reasonable request to ask for some punctuation heck we do not even need to buy vowels around here ;)

i agree. for a short or couple of sentence paragraphs, it's alright. but to go on for paragraphs without fullstops or at least capital letters, i just tend to give up reading the post after the first few sentences. why? it's just so damn annoying...

reading azza's post was so easy on the eye :D

reading azza's post was so easy on the eye  :D

That's because I am use to writing Selection Criteria's for jobs, and they have to be short, succint and to the point.... :P

ok yes i do understand what you are saying and i apologise i hope you accept my ignorance

but there is 1 thing i would like to point out

you are winging about a sentence 2 and a half lines long with no punctuation, your sentence was longer than mine and witohut punctuation aswell so ????? think about it before making accusations please

cheers lets just drop it anyways its a thread on CAI not punctuation

:)

Edited by evl_50a

ok yes i do understand what you are saying and i apologise i hope you accept my ignorance

you are winging about a sentence 2 and a half lines long with no punctuation, your sentence was longer than mine and witohut punctuation aswell so ????? think about it before making accusations please

I think he did it on purpose ;)

I think he did it on purpose ;)

lol, u reckon?

that's cool. i just hope no one dies of suffocation! :P

Before anyone orders their intake kit, I know someone producing new intake kits for our rollas in the next few days. It will be considerably cheaper than the other brands. I will let u guys know how much it would cost within a week if u guys can wait that long.

Cheers

Before anyone orders their intake kit, I know someone producing new intake kits for our rollas in the next few days. It will be considerably cheaper than the other brands. I will let u guys know how much it would cost within a week if u guys can wait that long.

Cheers

dont forget pics and BEFORE AND AFTER dyno sheets

as without the gains I dare say you might not sell too many

yeah i know somone releasing one sometime REAL soon too most likely is the same place

they told me there fitting a CAI to a rolla i think yesterday and was gonna let me know how they went for gains via e-mail