Broken Dyno?

Just got my car dynod this alvo just to see what it delivers statistically over a stock 1zzfe and came across some interesting/irritating results.

Sorry, dont have a printout to deliver, but it was a dyno dynamics dynamometer...

My mods are:

*AEM CAI

*Custom 4-2-1 Extractors

*High Flow Cat

*Full 2.5" mandrell piping

*Generic 3" hotdog

Now i pulled max 80.9kw...2kw more than a standard 1zzfe, a little dissappointing considering the mods done and the results gained by people on this forum with lesser work done.

HOWEVER, my peak torque has increased (this is at 4k rpm in 3rd) to 235nm apparently.

Now i conferred with the mechanic to make sure this crap was correct and he assured me.

So i only gained 2kw max power, but ~60nm torque? (standard is 171 @ 4200rpm).

That is more torque than having the car TRD supercharged, but without the power...does this sound wacked to anyone else because i am possitive i am not tripping here. To me the car feels like it goes about 10-30% harder than standard but these gains just seem, well, bazaar? Wrong?

Anyone else with dyno'd and modded 1zzs have anything similar result?

Yeah its sus, was hoping for at least 85 :S

And yes i had a before dyno a few years ago, only started modding about 5 months ago, i got 79kw atw flat, exactly as a stock 1zz is supposed to perform. No idea on the torque or anything with that run though.

Also something worth a mention was that is was 28 degrees at the tuning shop (kind of warm for last day of winter) and they werent running any fans around the dyno like they normally do...

And yes i got a wider exhaust incase of forced induction later down the track, it would benefit more.

I dont think so much the 35% increase in torque is unrealistic, it pulls alot harder than stock, but more so the increase in torque without any increase in power...

Its possible, just unlikely is all i am saying, because the place i go for tuning dynos 20+ cars a day, i dont think they could do that for long with a broken dyno.

Anyhow, since a dyno isnt giving me what i want, i think i may have to take a visit to Eastern Creek and give it a run down the 400m stripe. It should go alright if it really does have 235nm of torque :)

Edited by Mintos

so realisticly, you didn't get a "before" and "after" run to compare the benefits of your mods.

I've seen a 20kw ATW difference on one car between two different dyno dynamics units in Brisbane in shootout mode, 1 day apart. Software version, calibration and dyno settings play a big part in the figures too.

1/4 mile terminal speed will give you a decent indication of the real power.

my 1zzfe pulled 85.9kw STOCK on a Dynopack Hub Dyno.

I have the sheet to prove it.

graph2.jpg

Seems strange with all those mods you only pulled 80kw -->

what redline did you have the dyno set too?

I carefully explained to the dyno operator that the rev limiter kicks in at 6250 or there abouts in my corolla and to rev the balls off it till it gets there.

Edited by Guest

Yeah rollamods is right, it cannot really be compared and i have heard specifically that those hub dynos overstate a bit...

And with all dynos paradox they rev it until the limiter kicks in.

Also it will indeed be interesting to see what 1ZZ's dyno day results are, when is that btw? sometime this month isnt it? If it is when i have time off i may be up for a roadtrip...

And yeah the exhaust system is turbo shiznet alright, once i have 5-6k sitting around...just kinda have some other expenses to deal with :( maybe in a year or so time i could get it done.

But the question is...TRD supercharge or custom turbo job? I have already been quoted 4-5k for a full turbo system - manifold, wastegate, T3, intercooler, piping, labour - everything.

Turbo kit i think would put more stress on the motor, clutch, etc. Would have to replace parts faster than with the supercharger. From the tuning pro's i have spoken to though they reckon turbo's go harder in 4 cyls even though i think you can get the same sort of peak output from the TRD SC than you can with a turbo kit (this information is based on american forums).

And there have been guys in the US that have been running those TRD kits off their tits for a couple of years without any decline in the engines, granted they are running things like different pulleys and water/methanol injection.

We should have a poll...

Edited by Mintos

well for the supercharger v's turbo debate...

real life example:

AE92 with map sensor GZE running 11psi produces about 102kw ATW.

AE92 with map sensor GZE with supercharger removed, and turbo added, running all the same injectors and electronics, ignition and fuel maps, makes 111kw ATW with 8psi, 129kw atw with 13psi. All on the same dyno. The turbo is a lot more efficient at making power, you may have more wear on clutch etc with the supercharger as it's making torque a lot earlier in the powerband while the turbo is still spooling.

You are a mechanic arent you rollamods? You seem to be quite the informed individual, good stuff :P

But yes, that is interesting and i understand that theoritically a turbo should deliver more power than the SC, i am just yet too see any solid evidence from turbo'd 1zzs...no one is keen, not even the yanks with their limitless pockets when it comes to their cars.

Paradox has some mammoth job planned doesnt he? Hurry up and be the turbo 1zzfe mule paradox so i can see how it goes, hehe. Not that i can afford it anytime soon but it makes it all the more fun thinking about the prospects.

And yeah i wouldnt mind limiting the wear on the clutch, because once i get this done there is going to be a solid hole in my pocket that probably wouldnt be able to withstand a smoked clutch after a week or two of F/I usage.

I have read that the internals of the 1zz engine also are pretty hardcare, but does anyone think that valve springs or pistons would need to be altered for a basic turbo job? Personally i dont think so, there are alot of turbo MR2s that have been going for a while, but i may be very wrong.

I'm not a mechanic, but I do all my own service work and engine conversions etc. I've been working mechanically "hands on" with corolla's since 1997. Quite a few of the guys from here have seen my garage and car's I've built.

The stock internals will stand up to the turbo setup just fine as long as your ECU tune is good. If the tune isn't up to scratch and the motor detonates you will likely blow the ring lands off your pistons.

Many US owners are turboing their 1zz-fe man.

Danz show me where very few on vvti.net, vvt-i.net, 9thgencorolla.com and I've seen maybe one or two on newcelica.net, haven't checked spyderchat.com in a while though .... I want to rack all their brains and milk them for information :D

Mintos: I'm not going to hijack your Dyno thread with discussion about my turbo idea (that's all it is at present because I'm not made of money) but needless to say the more I research into doing everything properlly to make 200kw at the front wheels reliably and safely, the bigger my shopping list gets.

Danz show me where very few on vvti.net, vvt-i.net, 9thgencorolla.com and I've seen maybe one or two on newcelica.net, haven't checked spyderchat.com in a while though .... I want to rack all their brains and milk them for information :D

Mintos: I'm not going to hijack your Dyno thread with discussion about my turbo idea (that's all it is at present because I'm not made of money) but needless to say the more I research into doing everything properlly to make 200kw at the front wheels reliably and safely, the bigger my shopping list gets.

Yeah Danz...where is this info - WE DEMAND EVIDENCE, RIGHT NOW! :lol:

Admittedly i have not investigated extensively however i am aware of all the resources you listed there paradox. I have read a bit and had the car checked out and had a chat with some turbo tuners though.

Also, thread hijacking doesnt exist man i was the one that started to steer it towards the need for MORE POWER, that is F/I. So whatever, i will not be offended if you start talking about german shiesser vids... <_<

But far out, 200kw atw, reliably AND safely, that is fcuking intense mate. Say goodbye to 10-15k...Dang that will be awesome though - what is the current eta based on available budget, current cash flow and also current cost estimate?

Yeah Danz...where is this info - WE DEMAND EVIDENCE, RIGHT NOW! :lol:

Admittedly i have not investigated extensively however i am aware of all the resources you listed there paradox. I have read a bit and had the car checked out and had a chat with some turbo tuners though.

Also, thread hijacking doesnt exist man i was the one that started to steer it towards the need for MORE POWER, that is F/I. So whatever, i will not be offended if you start talking about german shiesser vids... <_<

But far out, 200kw atw, reliably AND safely, that is fcuking intense mate. Say goodbye to 10-15k...Dang that will be awesome though - what is the current eta based on available budget, current cash flow and also current cost estimate?

Couple of my friends have spent well over $20k on their S15s, and they're only sitting at around 200rwkW.... I doubt 10-15k would get a corolla there... besides, you'll probably get to 150kW atw and find that the chassis has had enough and has called it quits....

I won't know their nicknames on the forums, and some don't exist on forum but can be located at cardomain.com. I remember the dude who turboed his car, and became the 1st to do it on 9th generation corolla, his nickname is crovax.

Also, don't forget, search for older model corolla. USA got 1zz-fe ever since the previous generation corolla, unlike us who got 1zz on current model. Don't forget Matrix owners also have 1zz-fe. So is Celica GT. Each one of this model with 1zz-fe has been turboed in america. So is MR-S (MR2). And if the turbo kit is made for Matrix, it has been confirmed that it will fit Corolla. But you can copy what they did to the other model with 1zz-fe. So don't look on just corolla alone.

Your best guide to turboing your 1ZZ-FE, is to talk to monkeywrenchracing. I forgot their website, but they have this turboed MR-S that makes 300 plus ponies with internal mods, pretty hardcore I must say.

bloody hell... $20K to only get 200 ATW from an SR??  are they spending their money on neons or something??

HAHAHAHA!!! Rollamods hits again!! :D

gee you have killer comments!! :D