$500 performance upgrade

$500 to make the little 1zz-fe have a bit more grunt, looking for power related modifications not handling

what modifications are their available in that price range EXCLUDING

-cold air intake

-headers/ exhaust

you can buy a turbo for $500, but thats just the turbo...... you have to buy more components for it,

or a shot of nos and its refills

or you can buy those eGay "performance boosting" chips, they cost less than $500 too !

"Fast, Cheap, Reliable... now pick two"

http://au.toyotaowne...se-performance/

edit:

23850241.jpg

Edited by jeffy

If you dont pay anyone to do the labor...

take your head off - send to head reco place and shave it down to add compression. Get a new headgasket and slap it back together... its a big job but if you do it yourself it should cost just under $500

If you dont pay anyone to do the labor...

take your head off - send to head reco place and shave it down to add compression. Get a new headgasket and slap it back together... its a big job but if you do it yourself it should cost just under $500

Would a 2ZZ benefit from much more compression though? It already runs 11.5:1....

EDIT: Oops, saw that the OP had a 1ZZ

in search of a beneficial modifcation to help me achieve a 15.9 pass down the 1/4 mile for around the $500

running between 16.8-17 down the 1/4 mile at this stage

by all means i know the zze122 is not a performance car but i just like to have fun and set a few goals that i can achieve to take my mind away from work, i have a cold air intake and don't want to get headers/ exhaust as i'd much prefer the silence as this is my daily car. also is a flash tune available for the 1zz-fe, cheers david.

buy a camcon for $250 to tune your cams, find somene with a Wideband and pay them $100 to tune your a/f, alternatively, buy a plx wideband off ebay for $220? fabricate an exhaust mount and run that. u will feel a pickup esp mid range.

Opps, didn't see the 'excluding' bit. For $500 you'll be hard pressed to find something that will help engine power. If you can turn a spanner try what 4AB says. I'll assume the 1zz head removal is much the same as the 2zz, so it involves removing all the accessories as well.

You will not be able to get 0.8s off your time with $500.

Rubbish. Give me you car and $500 and we'll see. I can't guarantee your car is going to be street legal or roadworthy anymore though :lol:

sd were you able to pull your engine head without removing ur engine from bay?

Yes, but I've only done 2zz, not the 1zz. So check to see if Toyota hid a bolt into the head behind the timing chain cover. The workshop manual explains the proceedure pretty well.

Pay me 500 and I'll get the sub 16 pass you want. I'll gut the car and remove anything possible that adds weight, zaps power. I reckon I could get a 122 to under 1000kgs easy as!! Remove some drive belts and some other things and it's a definite possibility.

Should I remove the wipers like a certain few on a Mazda forum?? Lol

Why not hahahaha

Other than removing weight why not try to add more mechanical grip to the car by a means of suspension modification to make it launch quicker?

Grippier tyres may not do you any good due to not having enough power to break traction as it is...

Running a set of light 15's on the front with close to stock tyres and a set of narrow tyres on the back while having some crude suspension setup to have the rear riding on bumpstops while being stock height and the front lowered alot...

as a few others have already stated the $500 aint gonna get u much by way of mods to get u to go faster ..... u have pretty much ruled out the only mods that would be valued at that price .....

I reckon take SB up on his offer ..... he'll do a good job of stripping it down ;) ;) ;) ;)

Or

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-1JZ-TWIN-TURBO-NON-VVT-TYPE-2-5-ENGINE-1992-1993-1994-10184-/150921189589?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23239a98d5

its only $50 over the budget ......