Buying a Sportivo

Hi All,

I'm looking a buying a new car pretty soon, I'm interested in either the Corolla Sportivo or a Mazda SP23. Obviously they are slightly different cars when it comes down to whats under the bonnet. I'm looking for a small-medium 4 cylinder with a bit of get up & go without having to rice it up (car will be leased for 3 years, then I'll probably buy it outright.)

I had a quick read of the sticky thread up top, obviously there will be issues with every model of car on the market, I'm interested in hearing about your experiences with the Sportivo i.e. would you recommend it to someone else (or not.)

Primarily the car will be used for day to day driving from home to work, then up & down the coast when I go bodyboarding/snowboarding. Most of the time it will only be myself in the car, occasionally 1 or 2 passengers or luggage if I go on holidays or down to the snow.

Cheers

Tim

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously... it takes a little effort to learn the nature of the engine in the stivo as compared to SP23...

if u are lookin for interior comfort and not concern about performance then SP23 might be a better choice... (guys... dun yell at me :) )

i had the same decision making half a yr ago... but STIVO rocks!!!!

same here lol

all i can say is the sportivos kick as when comparing to the mazdas in performance and drivability

but if you just want a cruiser and slightly better comfort then go the sp 23 with the leather and sound system option other wise without it i wouldnt even look at it LOL

and also bit more roof space for racks to carry your boards too

one more thing i must mention its like an extra 10grand for the sp23 with the leather and system package compared to the price of the sportivo-

that already has everything HAHA and also has better performance and drivabilty( as a performance car)

not much of a cruiser

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies :D

Comfort factor is low on the list, I wouldn't bother with the leather + bose kit if I choose the SP23. I did enjoy the test drive in the hatch though. If I did decide on the SP23, I'm not sure as to whether I would go for the sedan or hatch version.

As to the Stivo, I'll be taking one for a test drive sometime this week - looking forward to it B)

Cheers

Tim

Basically,

Mazda 3 SP23 - Nice Looks from the out (a bit PT cruiser from some angles), 17 inch wheels, nice ride height, interior is modern, Good for Regular Driving, handles good, No real performance, very common.

Toyota Corolla Sportivo - Not so different from a regular corolla from the outside, Interior is very nice & comfortable (bit outdated though), Only 16 inch wheels, needs lowering, handles good, 6 speed manual, same engine as celica & lotus elise 141 KW (Go Yamaha), needs to be driven hard for performance but it is very satisfying, sometimes not suitable for city driving, excellent fuel economy (i usually get 600km to a tank), needs rear underskirt (although i dont like the dealer option skirt, Jap & Euro Spec is much nicer), not much choice in exciting colours (Black & Red are the best), It will beat most NA 6 cylinders and some V8s (eg Commondores), keeps with Type S Intergas, wont beat WRX's but gives them a good scare for a 1.8ltr, Built in South Africa, Its hard to get 1 now (stopped production), possibly good re-sale value (somewhat rare & possibly wont be a new model), Its a real sleeper.

I reckon if you are for looks, go the SP23.

If you want performance & something a little bit different, go the Sportivo.

Edited by ZAV

all i can say is the sportivos kick as when comparing to the mazdas in performance and drivability

Err.. SP23 is a much easier car to drive. I don't want to get into any arguments so I'll just say, go and test drive both and decide for yourself.

Err.. SP23 is a much easier car to drive. I don't want to get into any arguments so I'll just say, go and test drive both and decide for yourself.

How? I remember looking at the SP23 vs Stivo dynos, and torque is much the same isn't (on the stivo's first cam)? I only drove an auto SP23 and it was darn slow.

How? I remember looking at the SP23 vs Stivo dynos, and torque is much the same isn't (on the stivo's first cam)? I only drove an auto SP23 and it was darn slow.

Which dyno sheets were you looking at? Dyno's aren't very accurate at measuring torque anyway. Of course, don't get ATX..

mate i wasnt talking about how easy it is to drive none of us here are grandmas that have arthuritus(spelling)

im talking about performance and racing drivability smashes the sp23 any day

AND YES i test drove both PROPERLY hehe before making my decision

STIVO was WAY better

mate i wasnt talking about how easy it is to drive none of us here are grandmas that have arthuritus(spelling)

im talking about performance and racing drivability  smashes the sp23 any day

AND YES i test drove both PROPERLY hehe before making my decision 

STIVO was WAY better

Chillout mate. I'm not here to start a flamewar.

Since when does the term drivability not mean "how easy it is to drive"?

This guy is looking for a daily driver, so i don't think "racing drivability" is that high on his agenda.

Edited by Chompies

Having both cars in the family i must say that the mazda SP23 is a way more comfortable car to drive in, plus it is more easy to drive around town and city as u dont need to rev the crap out of it to get descent power. Plus the mazda is way more safer as it has 6 airbags, i noe this cuz my bro SP23 just got written off. His 6 air bags were the only thing that saved his life.

but each to their own, the SP23 is more livable car, however if u enjoy driving go the sportivo. Just wait till u past 6200rpm, it will bring a smile to ur face. Plus to add my bro liked driving the sportivo better than the SP23, he said it was more fun car.

watever car you choose, you wont be dissapointed

its cool im not trying to start anything either

but did i not say performance before drivabilty ?????

and i know he wants a cruiser the message before that one i recommended the sp23 didnt i

IMHO the SP23 is a better built, more refined and sweeter handling package.

The Sportivo will feel lighter and has more raw performance.

Take them both for a good test drive ( Not just one but test drive at least twice at two different dealers so you get to drive on different roads ) open and close everything, play with all the gadgets and see which one suits you best.

This guy is looking for a daily driver, so i don't think "racing drivability" is that high on his agenda.

Hi Chompies,

Yes I am looking for everyday driving, but I wouldn't class my self as your "average" driver.

I'm usually the guy going past at 10-20km/h faster than everyone else. Point being, I drive fast & I drive hard. Comfort rates lower down on the list than having fun whist hooning around - be that on the way to work or down to the beach :D

Cheers

Tim

Take them both for a good test drive ( Not just one but test drive at least twice at two different dealers so you get to drive on different roads ) open and close everything, play with all the gadgets and see which one suits you best.

Hi IZZ-FE,

I did enjoy the SP23 when I took it for a test drive on the weekend, it was comfortable as well as nice to drive. Most of the cars I have driven in the past though aren't performance vehicles. I am looking at something that has a "little bit extra" up its sleeve. Obviously it won't be like a WRX or a V8, but thats not what I am looking for (plus I want to keep my licence :ph34r: )

Cheers

Tim

Hi IZZ-FE,

I did enjoy the SP23 when I took it for a test drive on the weekend, it was comfortable as well as nice to drive. Most of the cars I have driven in the past though aren't performance vehicles. I am looking at something that has a "little bit extra" up its sleeve. Obviously it won't be like a WRX or a V8, but thats not what I am looking for (plus I want to keep my licence :ph34r: )

Cheers

Tim

sounds like the stivo is for u then

From what you have just said, sounds like the Sportivo would be the better for you. It has alot more power then the SP23, for when you feel like being a little bit boy racer. And you get the added bonus of the plush leather interior, for the same price on road as the SP23.

And if you like to stand out from the crowd the Sportivo is far less common then the SP23. This is a some what un-biased opion form someone who drives a Lancer, but dreams of when he can get the Sportivo. The only down side of the Sportivo over the SP23 is the lack of colour choice...